Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 04-08-2022, 07:46 PM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

NGC6744 Galaxy with ASI482MC Planetary Cam

I'm continuing my experiment of using this planetary cam for imaging bright celestial targets. Is it comparatively noisy - yep. Do images take (slightly) more effort to clean up in post-processing - yep. Does it produce satisfying images - IMO, yep. This time, I combined the ASI482MC data with some awful looking data from an earlier session using an ASI294MC for a total of 3hrs 32mins integration. The resultant image shows some detail in the galaxy's arms which I didn't expect - I like it. I'll def be spending more time on this target.

SW120ED x 0.85 Reducer/Flattener
18 x 180s RGB ASI294MC (54mins)
79 x 120s UHC-S, ASI482MC (2hrs 38mins)
Darks, flats, dark flats. APP, PS, DeNoise and cropped.

As always, thanks for looking. Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC6744_Mult-Session-RGB-session_1_session_2-St copy.jpg)
203.9 KB64 views
Old 04-08-2022, 08:32 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Nice one Alex, it looks pretty good to me. There's a lot of detail captured here and your processing seems fine with good colour and enough saturation to make it pleasing to the eye. This time of year is definitely worth giving these planetary cameras a run on deep sky objects under cold winter nights. I've posted a few shots using a asi224mc and a asi120mms on deep sky objects and they do a reasonable job.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:35 PM
Dave882 (David)

Gosh that’s a good result. I wouldn’t have expected that kind of clarity from anything less than an 8” scope. Your processing is coming along really nicely. More data will get the outer arms a bit clearer but I can already make them out. Well done!!
Old 04-08-2022, 10:17 PM
oska (John)
Illucid

I really like that Alex.
We seem to have similar target restrictions M83/NGC6744 then Helix at about 10pm.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:49 AM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

Hah - we probably do John, such are the restrictions of living in the burbs. My most clear view is east-ish. My western view is blocked by trees. That gives me a solid couple of hours on east-ish targets as they move towards the meridian. When the target is close to the meridian I change to another that is low in the east (from a meridian perspective) ... rinse and repeat (I run sequences in Kstars/Ekos). I haven't play with meridian flips but will venture there after I get an extension tube for my mount; I don't want to risk my gear smacking into a tripod leg. Alex
Old 06-08-2022, 11:54 AM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

Thanks Dave. I will def be getting more data own this one as I like the detail that is developing especially the little purple knots of gas/dust/stars/whatever in the arms. Hopefully, next year, I'll convert my 8" Edge HD into an imaging rig too and get even more detail some some of these galaxies. Alex
Old 06-08-2022, 11:58 AM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

Thanks Michael. The cold Canberra winters are def an advantage in that regard. It's often hovering around (or below) 0 deg by mid-late evening and the planetary cam's temp never gets above approx 9 deg. Alex