Old 30-03-2021, 10:29 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Wide angle lens options EF mount

Hi all,

Am investigating wide angle lenses for nightscapes any suggestions? I was eyeing off the Samyang 20mm f/1.8 ED UMC Lens as it seems to be a good sweet spot as far as fast / price to perf option.

Any others I should consider? Will be paired with a 6d and possibly a asi6200mm

Cheers

Russ
Old 30-03-2021, 12:19 PM
JA

Hi Russ,

You could also possibly consider the Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, which has remarkably good optical performance right out to the corners and very low coma, even compared with other main brands.

One caveat: some report their copies of this lens are not up to par, but I'm not sure if these concerns relate to the previous version of this lens, the Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical OR a sub-par version of this lens, the Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC. (noting the UMC suffix indicates the more recent lens)

I suppose it's something of a risk to take, but having seen many of the coma results for ultra-wideangle lenses especially for more demanding full-frame use, it's one of the best irrespective of price point, even against the likes of Sigma, Canon and Nikon for low coma & low astigmatic aberration. Used they can be had for ~$3-400.

EDIT: Results for some Canon mount compatible ultrawide lenses now attached. Unfortunately they haven't tested the Samyang 20mm f/1.8 wideangle you are considering.

For more lens tip reviews see ...https://www.lenstip.com/lenses_reviews.html

I nearly forgot: There is also the IRIX 15mm f/2.4....https://www.lenstip.com/486.7-Lens_r...and_bokeh.html

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Various UWA Lenses 4 Canon.jpg)
206.6 KB35 views

Last edited by JA; 30-03-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 31-03-2021, 05:15 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Russ,

You could also possibly consider the Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, which has remarkably good optical performance right out to the corners and very low coma, even compared with other main brands.

One caveat: some report their copies of this lens are not up to par, but I'm not sure if these concerns relate to the previous version of this lens, the Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical OR a sub-par version of this lens, the Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC. (noting the UMC suffix indicates the more recent lens)

I suppose it's something of a risk to take, but having seen many of the coma results for ultra-wideangle lenses especially for more demanding full-frame use, it's one of the best irrespective of price point, even against the likes of Sigma, Canon and Nikon for low coma & low astigmatic aberration. Used they can be had for ~$3-400.

EDIT: Results for some Canon mount compatible ultrawide lenses now attached. Unfortunately they haven't tested the Samyang 20mm f/1.8 wideangle you are considering.

For more lens tip reviews see ...https://www.lenstip.com/lenses_reviews.html

I nearly forgot: There is also the IRIX 15mm f/2.4....https://www.lenstip.com/486.7-Lens_r...and_bokeh.html

Best
JA

Thanks for the info JA I appreciate the comment. I'll dive into those lens tip reviews and thanks for the heads up on the samyang 14mm f2.8 option. Something to ponder.
Old 31-03-2021, 08:32 PM
Hemi

Hi Russ,

I use the sigma 14 1.8, Samyang 12mm fish eye, and my Canon 24-70 2.8.

All work well for me, and have produced some great images, although I’m not a pixel peeper.

The sigma is the best IMO. But the Canon gets used the most due to its day/night/zoom versatility.

Best
Old 06-04-2021, 11:20 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Hi Russ,

I use the sigma 14 1.8, Samyang 12mm fish eye, and my Canon 24-70 2.8.

All work well for me, and have produced some great images, although I’m not a pixel peeper.

The sigma is the best IMO. But the Canon gets used the most due to its day/night/zoom versatility.

Best
Hi Hemi,

Thanks for the info I might have to look into that sigma I missed that model when i was looking.

Cheers
Old 09-04-2021, 07:52 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

With the availability of advanced stacking/panorama programs such as Sequator, and the ability of many cameras to image at ISO settings up to 10000, you could possibly go to longer focal length lenses such as the 35mm f1.4 options from Samyang & Sigma.
It requires more work in processing and the stitching of far more panels to create your final image but you'll get much higher resolution images.
It seems to be the way many of the advanced nightscapers are going - just something to consider.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:47 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
With the availability of advanced stacking/panorama programs such as Sequator, and the ability of many cameras to image at ISO settings up to 10000, you could possibly go to longer focal length lenses such as the 35mm f1.4 options from Samyang & Sigma.
It requires more work in processing and the stitching of far more panels to create your final image but you'll get much higher resolution images.
It seems to be the way many of the advanced nightscapers are going - just something to consider.
I wouldn't get the Sigma 35 1.4 Art. I have had 2 and both failed. Sigma has weak QC in my opinion.

Canon does not have a lot of choice for wide nightscape lenses.
These are some I know work well;

1. Samyang 14mm F2.8 XP model only. Regular 14 F2.8 Samyang are mostly junk with most either no good or failing quickly due to no quality control.

2. Sigma Art series 14 and 28. Also the 40 and 105. QC better but not perfect. Good performers but very very large and heavy and expensive.

3. Voigtlander APO 35mm and up get a great review from a very experienced nightscaper. Mainline photographics sell them.

4.Irix 15mm F2.4 is quite good. QC issues again though.

5. Canon 35mm F1.4 11 is supposed to be excellent but pricey.

6. Canon 24-70 F2.8 is an oldy but goldy.

Sony has way more choices.

For example there is a just released Samyang Astro lens 24mm F1.8 that has features designed for nightscaping.

The Sony 24mm F1.4GM lens is one of the best out there. Pricey.

The Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 is a tad slower but a gorgeous lens with wonderful colours. Its one of my main nightscape lenses for Sony. Too bad its not compatible on a Canon.

Sony is about to release a 14mm F1.8 GM that no doubt will be the best on the market. Sony's standards on lenses in the last several years is simply the best available.

Greg.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:34 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I wouldn't get the Sigma 35 1.4 Art. I have had 2 and both failed. Sigma has weak QC in my opinion.
That's disappointing to hear. I know Samyang QC can often be hit and miss but I thought Sigma might be better.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:42 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
That's disappointing to hear. I know Samyang QC can often be hit and miss but I thought Sigma might be better.
On the plus side, at least on Nikon: I have 3 Sigma Art lenses and the Samyang 14mm - all good.

It's a way out there suggestion, but there are some astrophotographers for reasons of sharpness/low coma that like to use the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 on their Canon EF bodies via a Nikon F to Canon EF adaptor in preference to other stuff from Canon or 3rd parties lenses for, the EF mount. Astrophotographer Tony Hallas spoke of it in some videos. Quantitative tests of this lens show excellent performance. On the same subject the new ($$$) Canon 35mm f/1.4L mentioned by Greg also tests very well, as do some Sigma.

You may find some interest with Tony Hallas here... from ~9:30 onwards where he talks about imaging gear (including your very camera, the Canon 6D used with the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8, a Samyang 35mm and a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8), remembering this is a ~2014 video

Also a review of the lens you were interested in the Samyang 20mm. It mentions and shows some / low coma at f/1.8 which improves by f/2.8...

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 12-04-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:58 PM
gregbradley

Yeah the Nikon 14-24 F2.8 ED was my mainstay for years. A reliable lens.
Corner coma by today's standards is a little weak but not much different to the Sigma Art 14 1.8.

Greg.