ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2021, 10:53 AM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

NGC6334 The Cat's Paw nebula + Planetary?

Here is the Cat's Paw Nebula in Duo band L-Extreme Version. I was going to add RGB stars but decided not too due to the moon glow. But after processing this I might add some soon!

This is 147 x 240sec ASi 533 MCpro on star adventurer pro guided. ED72 with 0.85 reducer.

Processed in Pixinsight

Also, I have a number of what appear to be Planetary Nebula? Thoughts?

High Res here ----> https://astrob.in/texvj6/0/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NEW Step 5 drizzle_integration finalps1 copy iis.jpg)
187.3 KB53 views
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2021, 11:26 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Hard to tell from such a small image. Nice work!
Old 04-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Re planetary….

Had the exact same effect, on some around, the prawn, using the exact same filter.
I’d like it to be planetary nebulosity, but unless you can make some confirmation via a star map or similar ( I’m doing more research into mine) , it’s a tough call, suggestion was it’s some kind of artifact. noticeably the stars it occurs around are very red… don’t know if that means anything. It’s a mystery I’d like completely solved.
I’m going to at some stage target a known very small planetary and see how it shapes up
Old 04-07-2021, 04:06 PM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Re planetary….

Had the exact same effect, on some around, the prawn, using the exact same filter.
I’d like it to be planetary nebulosity, but unless you can make some confirmation via a star map or similar ( I’m doing more research into mine) , it’s a tough call, suggestion was it’s some kind of artifact. noticeably the stars it occurs around are very red… don’t know if that means anything. It’s a mystery I’d like completely solved.
I’m going to at some stage target a known very small planetary and see how it shapes up
Thanks. Yeah its good to know I'm not the only one. I was thinking that the Oiii may be picked up and showing up as halo if close to stars in density?

Its not processing as its in the raw fits.

Also, it really looks like nebulosity when you examine IE no sharp edges.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:55 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

I think all you can do is find the catalogue number of the star from a map source, then check out its properties see if there’s any chance it could be something, there will be something they have in common.
I’m finding this on a number of stars even dimmer ones.
It would be nice to think the filter is a planetary nebula finder a-la-extreme, but given the number of surveys already done you’d think they’d be found by now, there will be an answer, but I haven’t found a clear explanation.
I’m going to do some more when I’m free next week
Old 04-07-2021, 06:23 PM
gregbradley

A very good image. I can't get over the fact you are using a Star Adventurer Pro mount and getting such round stars. You must have that polar alignment bang on and these modern cameras are quite light.

Greg.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:31 PM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A very good image. I can't get over the fact you are using a Star Adventurer Pro mount and getting such round stars. You must have that polar alignment bang on and these modern cameras are quite light.

Greg.
Thanks Greg. Yeah I make sure I visually polar align. I upgraded the wedge on it to WO. It's about at capacity with ed72 guide scope cam etc but the cam is light. I'm getting about RA. 0.26 RMS error in PHD. So far so good!