Old 25-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Kunama

Lewis, somewhere here I have some old blueprints you might find useful
. darn, can't find them but I do remember it was 300 cubits long

oops ... it's all metric now so make that 137.16 metres .....
Old 25-03-2014, 06:02 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I truly NEVER believed in superstitions, but...

IT'S BEEN BLOODY BUCKETING DOWN SINCE 10am this morning. Guess what time the scope was delivered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this happens for a $5000 scope, I would hate to see what happens when someone takes delivery of something more financially restrictive!!!

Ah well, gives me a chance to round up all the Takette adapters etc. Prices vary SO wildly, it's incredible. At lest I got the Baader M72 to 2" ClickLock and the Takahashi M55.9 to male T thread with correct spacing for the SBIG ST series with CFW8 (and cost $200 delivered...)

I always wondered why Takahashi's graphic symbol was a T intertwined with an S that makes it look like a $ sign... I now know there is nothing accidental about the symbology!!!!!!
Old 25-03-2014, 06:19 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I must be getting old... I am too dog tired to open it tonight. It can wait til morning.

Patience must be a virtue
Old 26-03-2014, 10:46 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Finally opened the package.

I think I had a little moment of ecstacy. Nuff said

I WAS having pangs of regret with selling the FL102. I am not any more
Old 27-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Kunama

You've had plenty of time ........... so where are the pics of my next scope?
Old 28-03-2014, 09:57 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I spent the best half of 5 hours last night in frustration trying to figure out the best mounting arrangement (using the brilliant SoCal rings) as well as being able to mount my Tak finder converted to guidescope...

I ended up ordering ANOTHER Losmandy universal (LONG) Vixen plate from Bintel.

I think Tak and Vixen DELIBERATELY obfuscate things - I thought I could fit the standard Vixen no-slip bar... narp, all of about 1.5mm TOO LONG for the FSQ tube, with dewshield extended and the rear ring abutting the focuser casting.

I did manage to at least fit the Baader Click Lock and use it visually. OH MY GOD! FLAT, RAZOR sharp, incredible colour and contrast! Whoever said fast astrographs are not good visual scopes obviously never looked through an FSQ106ED (and I can imagine what it will be like with the extender!). It was the clearest, sharpest image I have EVER witnessed in ANY scope. PERIOD. I cannot wait to image with it!

Ordered Sharpsky Pro robotic focus for it yesterday. Dave is drilling it out for the 3.5mm Tak 7:1 pinion. I cannot begin to imagine trying, even with a Bahtinov, focusing this at the reduced f/3.6 manually. Like 40 microns of critical focal range!
Old 28-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

They are a bugger to focus. I never got RoboFocus to work on mine (lack of trying). So, I just used to do it by hand with the assistance of the Bat Grabber software.

Once I move to Caloundra, I will have more time to set it up properly.

I am not a visual person, but, I have also looked through the FSQ-106N with the 1.6x Extender-Q. It is really quite something.

H
Old 28-03-2014, 09:28 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

They aren't any worse to focus than any other f5 system - but the addition of a robofocus certainly made my life easier. What you will also find is that you need to re-focus every 15-30minutes, depending on the delta T. I have heard of some people using dew straps to maintain the tube temperature to minimise this, but I've found using SGPro and the robofocus seems to keep ahead of it. I'm surprised you found the visual experience so extraordinary - a half decent 8" newt will show much more. Still, not much around can deliver such a flat field over a very large sensor, they have to be one of the best astrographs about.
cheers,
Andrew.
Old 29-03-2014, 06:23 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Not so much how MUCH I could see, rather how perfect the image is.

Must meet up finally H now you are only 15 mins down the road.
Old 29-03-2014, 08:44 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I have sucessfully manually focused at f/5 for imging - only way I did it with my Vixen DED108SS.

It's the reduced f/3.6 I will be using the FSQ at that has me nervous

I will TRY my hand at manual focus just for giggles, and then install the Sharpsky Pro