Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 15-06-2010, 04:46 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Canon DSLR - shots longer than 3600 secs truncated to 694.4 secs?

This is a wierd one, last night I took some 7,200 second dark frames. The set up is PC running DSLR Shutter -> Shoestring Astronomy DSUB -> Canon 400D via a Bulb cable. Shots are downloaded from the camera using a USB cable and using Canon's Zoombrowser EX software.

I've done shots of 1,200 seconds, 2,400 seconds and 3,600 seconds fine - but when I tried 7,200 (which seems to work okay) Canon ZoomBrowser reports the shots are each 694.4 seconds?

Any idea how Canon got it confused and what I may be able to do?

Matthew
Old 15-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Matt,

I doubt it's Canon that's got it confused.

Can you try and replicate the shots, except, this time shoot directly through Canon's EOS Utility and a USB cable (no other third party products, in the chain, please), using the built-in long exposure control?

It will do it properly.

H
Old 15-06-2010, 06:09 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Hey Octane

I don't see that Canon's EOS Utility allows you to do shots over 30 secs - even with Bulb selected? Once you select Bulb - it appears to me it wants something else to do the shot.

I just did a shot for 5,432 secs - worked fine????? So I'll try one for 6,000 then 6,500 secs - see what that does.

Matt
Old 15-06-2010, 06:13 PM
leon

Just get a Remote TCN803 and your troubles will be solved and you don't even need a lappy, why would you bother with all the computer stuff, if you don't have to,

I have been doing it for years and it works just fine.

leon
Old 15-06-2010, 06:23 PM
bojan
amateur

Even cheaper option is Aputure (or equivalent) timer from ebay.. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Timer-Remote-...item1e5c78fdf1
Old 15-06-2010, 06:27 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

If the s/w measures time in u-sec it may very well have wrapped a 32 bit counter. -695 seconds would be right if it has. It just doesn't display the -.
Old 15-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Matt,

There is an icon in EOS Utility with a watch on it.

Click on it and set your bulb interval to the amount of minutes you wish to shoot.

H
Old 15-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...eos_utility.do

Page 3, Bulb Exposures.

H
Old 15-06-2010, 09:20 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Did the battery go flat and the shutter close?

DT
Old 15-06-2010, 09:33 PM
leon

H, mate sell him the remote, so to speak, I have 2 of them, it is so easy and forget the lappy, it will do what you want at your cammand.

Why you guys make it so hard is beyond me.

I did not follow the sheep, and, DID IT MY WAY

Leon
Old 15-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

haha, Leon, when it comes to terrestrial photography, the wireless remote (or soon, a wired release) are my best friend.

As for astrophotography, I guess it might just be easier to look at the images as they download to your laptop so you can tell whether you're happy with framing, focusing, composition, etc.

I'd say, yeah, once you've got that sorted, there's no dramas with hooking up a remote and setting and forgetting.

I guess people just get comfortable with using the one thing and stick with it, that's cool. I'm much the same!

I know you like to use the remote, Leon, and, you've used it since day one, I know. : )

H
Old 15-06-2010, 10:47 PM
leon

No H I don't agree,and I tell you this for one reason, and it is coming in the mail soon.

This laptop stuff, and this have to do through the lappy is rubbish.

One of the above mentioned remote, or whatever I said will control the lot, YOU DO NOT NEED THE LAPPY TO CONTROL THE CAMERA.

You guys seem to make it so hard, I can, well when i did image, which has just changed recently, without a Lappy at all and just transfered to a Flash drive.

You Guys are more experienced than me, so why is so hard.

Leon
Old 15-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I get what you're saying, Leon. And, yes, you don't need a computer to control the camera, if you've got the remote. : )

We're masochists! Haha. I love tech gear and can't get enough of the fidgeting -- it never ends, lol. It keeps my interest. : )

H
Old 16-06-2010, 08:58 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Hi Leon,

I'm not trying to start WWIII, but I do disagree with part of your argument about the timer remote.

I used a timer remote initially (worked fine), but have now changed over to using a laptop and controlling the camera through it.

The real benefit is being able to look at the laptop screen from a comfortable seated position. To focus using the DSLR screen when pointing at the zenith is just not fun. I have to have a laptop beside the rig to run PHD guiding, so why not use it to run the camera too?

You have to look after your own back - no one else will.

DT
Old 16-06-2010, 12:08 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re DSLR activation

Depends what I am doing in the field,and how long I am going to be out at night,as to whether its lappy or remote.

I like both,I used to use the cable release that Geoff makes quite a lot with 450D,I just got a 'look a like' canon TCN 803 for 50D on weekend (Thanks DT)

I find it very advanced,and quite capable of doing many tasks that can be done from lappy.And will certainly be using quite a bit.The lappy is good for all nighter-checking focus,pics etc.

But last night a great conjuction-Limited time just grabed the 50D and tripod and cable remote,just what I need in those situations,Really no overall right or wrong as to which is better,Just depend on tasks,I would say I am half and half.

Yes,H is right the little clock thing on EOS utility is very usefull,Although I have recently watched some astronomers using "Maxim" I liked the look and feel of this program,and would like to get a copy for more advanced work.

C
Old 16-06-2010, 03:18 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Guys,

Interesting thoughts... I use a PC to control things for two reasons - primary - so I can remote control everything where its nice and warm inside and secondly - to manage all the focusers, pointing models, auto guiders etc.

Also I want to be able to script a series of varying length exposures - not sure if your remote can do this?

Octane - what version of the Canon Utility do you have (I'll look for the clock on mine, maybe your version - with LiewView for your Digic IV chips is more advanced then my version controlling my Digic III camera).

Matt
Old 16-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Matt,

Not at all. I had the 40D running on it, and that's a D!GIC III camera.

I have Digital Photo Professional 3.5.6 installed (I think). You might just need to get the latest update from the Canon web site.

H