ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2022, 03:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Lagoon OSC testing

This was via 115mm triplet,eq6 mount, unguided 30 second subs 300 gain
No darks etc just seeing how the ZWO MC works ..I am trying to add HA via the MC camera but all the subs turnded out terrible...hopefully some tonight as I want to see if I can combine the two cameras.
AND I could not inspect these for some reason the way I usually do so stacked them in DSS telling it to drop only 5 %... I lost some interest after finding the HA was no good...anyways here is my image.
Edit..a version for the girls
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (lagcolourcamtest.jpg)
208.8 KB116 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20220805_144349.jpg)
76.5 KB100 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 05-08-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:56 PM
Dave882 (David)

There’s folks that do it quite well, but I’ve not yet worked out how to successfully add Ha data through the osc… trial and error, and hopefully finally some success!! Hope the skies clear for you tonight- we’re all washed out down in Sydney again…
Old 04-08-2022, 09:06 PM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

Sounds like a nice refractor, Alex. There's lots of detail in your image - nice. What filter are you using? A dual NB?
Old 04-08-2022, 11:27 PM
oska (John)
Illucid

Nice detail Alex. Are you trying to combine osc and mono?
Old 05-08-2022, 04:11 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogs38 View Post
Sounds like a nice refractor, Alex. There's lots of detail in your image - nice. What filter are you using? A dual NB?
Using ZWO2600MC (One shot colour) without out any filter.
Alex
Old 05-08-2022, 04:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oska View Post
Nice detail Alex. Are you trying to combine osc and mono?
I am trying to combine the data from two separate cameras..A ZWO 2600MC (OSC) and A ZWO 2600 MM (MONO) fitted with a 12nm HA filter.

I am trying to basically get RBG via the OSC and HA via the MONO....and short cut getting colour via R, B and G filters..

I was capturing the Eagle with the 80mm Espirite fitted with the MONO and the Lagoon with the 115mm triplet fitted with the OSC...after a couple of hours I changed the cameras around but unfortunately the heavy dew ( dense fog) stuffed the opportunity to complete the experiment..last night was cloudy so no more data..although I did establish that I could run both scopes with two instances of Sharpcap on my laptop...previously I had a lap top for each camera...so all that is left to sort out is the Asiair plus managing captures on the RASA unit.
Next will be to see if the one lap top can manage two instances of Sharp Cap and two instances of PHD ( Guiding)...however finding time is becoming my problem as I now find the radiation and my condition in general leaves it hard for me not to get tired...Anyways I am a patient person so I will keep at it and I hope at one point to have the three scopes capturing data and the 8 inch available for visual...one of those situations where it seemed like a good idea at the time...AND I do have projects going with my two microscopes but sometimes I think my age and condition may sideline me...but that is just being negative and probably due to the treatment I have completed...

Alex
Old 05-08-2022, 08:12 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
I’ve been following your experimentation with RGB and Ha using the OSC and Mono trying to combine Chrominance and Narrowband filtered data sets via separate filters.This is extremely difficult but has been done

Just a suggestion, why don’t you try what I do and use a OSC Duoband filter like the L Extreme ( or Antlia golden ) with your 2600MC camera , capture your data set and load it into “Compose” in Startools. Compose can create a Synthetic Luminance channel and correctly weight the R, G, B according to the preferred composite you select , it can also provide a Bi colour composite which I think is similar to what your trying to achieve with adding Ha to a broadband target
There are many choices …
I use the preset L + Synthetic L from R (2xG) B ,R (GB) (GB) Bi Colour from OSC . This works well on most bright nebula like M8 , M16 , M17, M42 and so on ….
Just a thought

Compose is specifically designed for your Mono data sets as well

Best
Martin
Old 05-08-2022, 09:34 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex,
I’ve been following your experimentation with RGB and Ha using the OSC and Mono trying to combine Chrominance and Narrowband filtered data sets via separate filters.This is extremely difficult but has been done

Just a suggestion, why don’t you try what I do and use a OSC Duoband filter like the L Extreme ( or Antlia golden ) with your 2600MC camera , capture your data set and load it into “Compose” in Startools. Compose can create a Synthetic Luminance channel and correctly weight the R, G, B according to the preferred composite you select , it can also provide a Bi colour composite which I think is similar to what your trying to achieve with adding Ha to a broadband target
There are many choices …
I use the preset L + Synthetic L from R (2xG) B ,R (GB) (GB) Bi Colour from OSC . This works well on most bright nebula like M8 , M16 , M17, M42 and so on ….
Just a thought

Compose is specifically designed for your Mono data sets as well

Best
Martin
Hi Martin ..you may recall I recently asked about getting a filter for the OSC and your approach was basically what I has in mind although I did not raise that aspect.

I don't talk about all my experiments but the things I have done using the compose tool would surprise folk I expect...I will take a single HA image and give it various contrasts in StarTools for example and create four images each different from the rest then load them in compose in various combinations...and take those multiple results and merge them via layers in Photoshop selecting the various sections of each that present better than the others....I do this sort of thing when I need to rest just to see what can be done....

My future direction will be dictated to a large degree by how I manage the tilt issues (etc etc) with the RASA as there is a case for giving up using it for narrow band and only using it with OSC...there are times where I feel like replacing it with a 150 mm triplet which really is on the cards...cut back to just one scope even...

AND funny as it sounds I seem to enjoy experimenting and adjusting more than imaging of late...but finally it is all somewhat irrelevant simply because even on what seems like a good clear night the seeing is not what I am used to..the moisture although it seems invisable has stuff jumping around such that decent subs are few and far between such that even 30 seconds exposure is really too long...well that my excuse as they say
I three guide cameras and scopes to set up but at the moment there isn't any point when you add in the need to rebuild the eq5...

I have software that can combine images from different set ups which is too clunky for what I really want to do which is have all scopes with various filters and jobs to do..one detail another nebulosity approach...all I need is more time.

Alex
Old 05-08-2022, 10:24 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Just a heads up
Ivo from Startools recommends not to combine Startools with other post processing software due to its unique signal evolution tracking engine. It’s designed to use as standalone
PI , PS and others use traditional post processing techniques and architecture
Folk have ignored this and ended up with a less than satisfied outcome ( Posts on CN )

Best
Martin
Old 05-08-2022, 10:35 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I know all that Martin but I get results both bad and good.
Alex
Old 05-08-2022, 12:43 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
AND funny as it sounds I seem to enjoy experimenting and adjusting more than imaging of late..
I am in the same boat here Alex, although mine is just combining different processing methods directly in PI. A duo-band filter is the way to go with OSC cameras I reckon!

There are some nice details in that image!

Seems like you're on your way to coming up with a processing technique that you can call your own. At the end of the day, if you're enjoying it, and you are happy with the outcome of the processing that is all that matters
Old 05-08-2022, 03:57 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Great detail. It would interesting see how it looks straight out of the OSC with just some minor stretching.

I think I have combined images from different cameras by resizing and saving in identical formats and then aligning. Not sure it was worth the effort but interesting.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:15 PM
glend (Glen)

Nice Lagoon Alex.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks everyone.

Edit..this is a doublee up error

Last edited by xelasnave; 06-08-2022 at 10:57 AM.