Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-12-2021, 09:48 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Galaxy viewing with an 80 percent illuminated moon.

I've been waiting for a chance to have a look at the recent supernova in NGC 1566 (The Spanish dancer) in Dorado. With the almost continuous rain now for close to 3 months, an opportunity of two clear nights was presented this week, and with an 80 percent illuminated moon, I rolled out the 18 inch on Tuesday evening. Using an SQM-L, I was getting consistent readings of 19.45 to 19.50 aiming due south, and around 17 facing just east of the moon. My SQM readings around new moon average 21.2 to 21.4. I was surprised how easy it was to spot a few galaxies in the vicinity of NGC 1566, and also to see the spiral structure (faintly) with direct vision and more pronounced with averted. The NGC 1553 and 1549 pair were quite bright and a few other fainter members were also visible. After orientating the finder chart to match the view through the ES12 mm 92 deg eyepiece, the 12th magnitude supernova (SN 2021 aefx) was quite apparent. NGC 1566 is about 69 million light years distant so this SN event occurred 4 million years before the extinction of the dinosaurs. Other highlights of the night were M 42, the LMC and SMC, as well as the Fornax galaxy cluster. Even with the moon up, it was great to actually be out observing after so long, and made me realise that DSO observing, especially galaxies, doesn't have to end with the progressing lunar cycle, even at 80 percent, there is still plenty to see.

Below is the finder if anyone is interested in having a go in spotting SN 2021 aefx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (post-306923-0-59925500-1582024394 (2).jpg)
40.4 KB38 views
Old 22-12-2021, 07:23 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Had another look last night with a 10 Inch, at 12th mag it's an easy target, should be relatively easy for a 6 inch.