Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 02-08-2022, 03:55 PM
Bodon (Steve)

SW ED72 How to set up a camera

GDay all.
I normally just view with a 10"newt on an AZEQ6. I do have the ED72 and use it as a finder scope.
Thought Id have a go at taking some pics with the ED72 (this scope does not come with any adapters at all.); so I dove straight in and ordered a guide camera, camera-533mc pro and a ASIAIR. Wont get the cameras for a while. Tad confused on how to set up the main camera with this back focus and ring jargon. I did not purchase a reducer at this time as I just want to get started. The ZWO site has a pic and a tad confused.
The scope at the focus end has a black hole and no threads I can see. So I take it that I unscrew the ring that holds an eyepiece as I then see threads. The pic on the net Im looking at points to the M42-M48 adapter first. Seems narrow? Cant see this doing much at all. Is that correct?

Haven't got one to have a gander at or to play with. Then the 16.5, 21mm extender then camera.
The manual shows 1.25 T Mount goes in first...I think. Any help here to clear things up appreciated. Regards

Last edited by Bodon; 02-08-2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:48 PM
PaulSthcoast (Paul)

Pm sent
Old 10-08-2022, 03:32 PM
TrevorP (Trevor)

This is the setup I use - 533MM on my 72ED.
You could probably get by with something simpler but I cobbled this together from what I had handy, apart from the M42 - M48 x 11mm ring which I had to make (I wanted it now)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (72ED extension.jpg)
60.0 KB88 views

Last edited by TrevorP; 10-08-2022 at 06:38 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-08-2022, 07:51 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

That's an interesting collection of adaptors and tubes there.

The ZWO website talks about needing 55mm of backfocus - you've got a lot more than 55mm.

Where on earth do you measure from?
Old 10-08-2022, 09:19 PM
TrevorP (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
That's an interesting collection of adaptors and tubes there.

The ZWO website talks about needing 55mm of backfocus - you've got a lot more than 55mm.

Where on earth do you measure from?
To tell you the truth I'm no physicist so I used the tried and true priinciple of "suck and see".
As I understand it, the sensor plane has to be 420mm (scope's focal length) away from the objective. I could have got away with less extension if I'd racked out the draw tube a bit more but I just cobbled together something from what I had - works for me.
The 55mm is if you're using the flattener.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (72ED extension.jpg)
59.2 KB56 views
Old 10-08-2022, 09:38 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Thanks for that. Another thing to keep in mind for the future...
Old 19-08-2022, 09:34 AM
Bodon (Steve)

Appreciate the info. I was going to get the 533, but was advised to get the 183 as it was more suited for the ED72. 533 made sense to me as a newbie due to the no amp glo. Plus Id seen a pom use the same setup on youtube. I did get the SW reducer which has the M54 adapter. Gear arrived yesterday and I put it together. Just need some decent weather and stumble around to work out how to use it. Do appreciate that image as I was not going to use the reducer until I figured out how to even take a pic. Old girl let me buy one.....
Old 19-08-2022, 02:20 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Steve, I’d prolly stick with the 533 idea. It’s cleaner. The only thing the 183 gives you is a touch more resolution, which can overcomplicate things as a beginner imager IMO
Old 19-08-2022, 05:31 PM
Bodon (Steve)

Tad late, gear arrived yesterday. Took the advice from the shop. 533 seemed to have some good reviews etc. Stuck with the 183 now...
Old 20-08-2022, 09:20 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Steve, don't get me wrong, the 183 is not a "bad" camera, it's a great camera(!), but the tiny pixel size and the amp glow make it just a tad less easy to get to grips with.
Old 29-08-2022, 11:07 AM
Hoges (John)

I use the same filter drawer and 21mm spacer as in the photo on my 294mc then that is screwed into an Orion Field Flattener for small refractors and use a bahtinov mask to focus from there. Without the Orion ff, I think I'd need my 50mm extension tube to achieve focus. Don't forget the i/r cut filter - there isn't one in the camera and things are a bit weird and bloaty without it.