Old 14-08-2022, 11:46 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Stunning Saturn

With 90% cloud cover l kept checking the sky hoping the cloud would clear like it has in recent nights.
While it didn't clear much, I was able to enjoy 10mins of the most stunningly beautiful views of Saturn l have ever managed.
Using a GSO 32MM 68°AFOV EP in the 127 mm 1200fl achro for 38x magnification.
While not quiet enough to see the Cassini division, l was able to make out the darker cloud region on Saturn's top half and two of her moons.
I caught a brief view at 80x seeing a third moon, but with cloud obscuring the 38x was far nicer.
I then chased it around at 240x with no luck mainly due to my declination knob being out of reach, I'll have to remedy that tomorrow.
Was a beautiful sight, the best I've seen it and glad l made the effort to get out and try.
Clear skies.
Rod.
Old 15-08-2022, 08:45 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Fabulous catch Rod. Those views will be etched in your memory for ever. I have vivid memories of such a view several years ago.
Old 15-08-2022, 09:20 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Good to read that some of you are enjoying the sight of Saturn at this opposition, not many finer sights in astronomy than the planet at a reasonable magnification in an 100mm + telescope.
Not having much luck in this neck of the woods, cloudy more often than not and when it is clear, the seeing is garbage due to the winter jet stream. Had a few hours of clear sky 2 nights ago and the view at 63X in the 127mm triplet was crisp, moving up to 190X the view was still acceptable but the jet stream influence was noticeable , making the image waver in the breeze though the Cassini Division was still discernible.
Had a go at taking some video and processing / stacking but the results were hardly worth the effort.
All in all, this planet season has been the worst seeing conditions, cloud etc, that I can recall in the past 20 + years, most disheartening but will keep looking when possible , always an optimist.
Old 15-08-2022, 02:34 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Haven't had a lot of clear skies out my way of late, but last week I did manage to drag out the Mak-Cas and spend an hour or so in contemplation of the ringed planet. I never get tired of looking at the planets.

Equipment:
150/1800 Skywatcher Mak-Cas
HEQ5 Pro mount
17mm Nagler type 4 Eyepiece
2 x Bintel Barlow
Bluetti EB55 Power unit
Dew Heater & Regulator

Good seeing conditions (temperature dipped into the minuses as I was packing up) and I live rural (Bortle 3 to 4) at 855m above sea level.
Old 15-08-2022, 07:26 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

I didn't know Saturn was in opposition until last night which is the main reason l did a 15min set up for a 10min viewing session.
I was out there for about 30 to 60mins but the very first 10 mins was great.
I'll have to see what's about at the end of October as I'm planning some me time at Elachbutting Rock in WA.
360° view, no trees, bortle 1, a few days up my sleeve if there's cloud, a little ED72 with camera, fingers crossed.
Old 15-08-2022, 08:09 PM
Dave882 (David)

Great to hear you’ve had some nice views Rod! Thanks for the report!!
It’s been an atrocious planet season in Sydney and really difficult to get good seeing and transparency when the clouds part for a few moments. Having said that, I’m still out with the c14 almost every opportunity the last 2 weeks trying to get the best views of Saturn while it’s at its largest. I agree with Warren- I never get tired of that view, even if it’s jumping around!