ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-02-2006, 10:24 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

The springs on the GS Dobs are great. I can alternate between a 27mm Panoptic and 7.5 mm Plossl and not worry about balance.
Old 19-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Noidea
Keen Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmarsh81
Yes Noidea, spill what did you get/do???
Hello All, sorry for the late reply, I didn't realise this thread was still going. Thanks for all the advice and comments.

I bought the 10" GSO dob one day before Lostock. I actually assembled it for the first time up there. Boy was I fresh at Lostock. Unsure on what I was doing but people were so helpful and I learnt heaps.

The only downside is, that after first light in Lostock, viewing in Sydney looks quite ordinary. I am thinking of going to Kulnura in search of darker skys. Cheers Paul
Old 19-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickoking
The springs on the GS Dobs are great. I can alternate between a 27mm Panoptic and 7.5 mm Plossl and not worry about balance.
I find that springs and tension controls are all counterproductive to being able to track objects at high power. It can also be frustrating to have a light push to move direction in altitude, then having to push much harder to move it in the other.

The ideal is to have matched friction in both azimuth and altitude axis and what I found helps a lot is to properly balance the ota so it will stay put without any friction aids. I use flat lead divers weights strapped onto the rear end of the tube, and a large speak magnet on the front end.

If I leave the magnet there, the ota is well balanced for light eyepieces, and if I want to use the 31mm nagler (which weighs 1kg), I remove the magnet.
Old 20-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Mikezoom
Gravity = Beer in glass

WTF............????? An EP weighs 1kg????

I now have enough for a 10" Premium GSO Dob from Bintel but would like some encouragment to buy the 12" (only 2 weeks more savings) Dob. Please help me.

Mike.B.
Old 20-02-2006, 11:46 PM
jackenau

Hi Mike.B.

Just had a quick read through the thread. I gathered you are unsure as to whether to go with 10" dob or 12" dob. I had that same problem over a year ago. I suppose it depends on your location, whether or not you want to transport it to other sites, your means of transportation (size of scope comes into play here), viewing expectations, abilty to physically handle (move the scope around).
At the time, I just wanted to see as much as I could and as clear as I could and was really unsure as to what I could view.(From the many posts on the forum, I settled on a dob, based on price, expected viewing of objects and in my opinion "if I was not happy with it, I would be able to readilly off-load it to someone else").

Viewing this forum has been of great assistance in pointing me in the right direction as to what to look for as well as expectation of what it is going to look like when I view it. (I think too many people over expect what they are going to view). Just an observation though.

I have the 12" basic model, and at the time went for the best bang for bucks ideaology. I can't say that I am dissapointed at all (apart from the fact they came down in price shortly after my purchase, but that will happen with anything). No fan, no crayford focusser.

Balancing has never been a problem, and I do have a 35mm Panoptic which is quite beefy and a couple of smaller Naglers, as well as the 2" gso's which are equally heavy. I rarely have the springs on the sides connected at all and this seldom has caused a problem with balancing, if so I just have to quickly hook up one, or both of the springs. Moreso I do not hook up the springs as they sometimes creak and I don't want to annoy the neighbours, (they complain about hearing strange noises in the night).

So, if you are going to use it in your own backyard, not going to transport it around too much (not that this is a real issue if you are fit and you have suitable sized vehicle), and am after views based on "you want to see as much as you can for the best $$$" go for the biggest aperture you can afford.

I suppose it all comes down to what you can afford and what you expect/want to see.

Nothing wrong with the 8" or 10" dobs though.

Sure there are other scopes, apart from the dobs, but value for $$ and aperture, the dob has got to be a good option.

Just my two cents worth.

Ken M
Old 21-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Mikezoom
Gravity = Beer in glass

Many thanks Ken,

Well I have made up my mind on which scope I will purchase, I think it was more of a case of I can go the 10" and have it NOW or wait a few more weeks and get the 12"..... You know what they say about Idle EPs.....

Lastly was the matter of deciding on which business to deal with and I have read other peoples thoughts and have made up my mind based on what I believe is right for me.

Thanks for your help and will keep you in the know of how many days till I can get my 12" er.....

Mike.B.

Last edited by Mikezoom; 22-02-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 21-02-2006, 09:27 AM
cjmarsh81

Yes Ken you are right Dob's are the best value and biggest aperture for the money compared to EQ mounted scopes etc. But you can always take your Dob off the mount and buy an EQ mount later on (which I plan on doing in a couple years).
Old 21-02-2006, 12:56 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

too right cj, i bought a 8" dob, then chris gave me his old EQ... I can mount on both now
Old 21-02-2006, 03:15 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

I guess you have to weight out the pros and cons. Although aperture is king, I went for the 10" GS dob as I knew I could easily handle the weight of this scope, plus it would fit in my smallish Hyundai Excel for those dark sky jaunts. No point in getting something to bulky that you only use it once or twice a year But if you are not moving it much (i.e. if you live in a very good location), the 12" would be the better option.

Darren
Old 21-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Mikezoom
Gravity = Beer in glass

Well if all goes to plan I should be ordering my 12" Premium Dob next week.... Will let you know how I go.

Mike.B.

Last edited by Mikezoom; 22-02-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 22-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Mikezoom
Gravity = Beer in glass

Well...... tried to order my Dob today but there is no one answering the phones, I rang from midday till around 5 mins ago, even sent a fax and email but no response. I will try again tomorrow otherwise I will go somewhere else. Hope this is not just the start of service I will receive.

Mike.B.
Old 22-02-2006, 04:45 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

bintel mike? they do get rather busy...
Old 12-03-2006, 03:57 AM
vespine

I've been reading these forums for a while and found this thread which is exactly what I'm going through right now...

I have not been able to find anywhere how much these things weigh, if it's not too much trouble can somone please post what the 10" and 12" tip the scales at?

Also, does anyone with a station wagon own the 12"? How easy is it to transport?

The more I think about it the more I think i'll get the 12". The way people talk about seeing color and detail in the 12" makes the price difference quite insignificant imho. Still, I'd really like to see a 12" one and pick it up before buying it but I'm in melb and I haven't seen a place that has them. I've been to astro optical in St Kilda but they're asking heaps more then Andrew's and they don't have a 12 in stock.

Also, what's the concensus about the eye pieces? Seems like everyone is saying not to bother with the 4 crappy plossls, so get a barlow and a 9 and a 30 or? What do people think?

Ok, last question, how would using a 32mm 2" EP with the 2x barlow compare to a standard 15mm plossl?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Adrian-H
Naturalist

i had the same choice i went with the 12" basicly cause it was only 100$ more and i didnt want the craford cause you can replace it with even better focuser's and i didnt want the fan cause i want to get a heating system.

Last edited by Adrian-H; 12-03-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:48 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Vespine, seeing you live in Melbourne I'd go to Bintel in Camberwell and check out the 12" there.

http://www.bintel.com.au/
Old 12-03-2006, 04:54 PM
vespine

I didn't know bintel opened in melb! Great, so it looks like they have the 12" for $998 or $1099 for the premium.

So the question is: IS the bintel the same quality as the GSO? Are they made by the same mob? Inc shipping from sydney it would be just about the same price to get the bintel localy. Oh, and looks like the bintel comes with GSO plossls which I'm guessing is a plus right?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

THe Bintel dob is the GSO dob with a bintel sticker on it.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:39 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Bintel Dobs are GSO Dobs. The big plus in buying from Bintel is that you are buying from people who are knowledgable and experienced amateur astronomers. Roger has been in the game for decades (from since he was a toddler I think) and seems to know the ins and outs of just about every Newtonian and Dobsonian ever made. But all the people I've dealt with in that shop are a very helpful bunch. Really, I have seen nothing like it in any other type of business. So expect great service even after the deal is done and money has exchanged hands. (I have no affiliation with Bintel but they are the place for Dobs in Melbourne.)

The set of eyepieces you get with the 12" Dob cover a good range of well chosen magnifications. GSO plossls are budget eyepieces but they do the job well and they certainly are the best value in their price range. A 2x barlow will complete the Bintel 12" eyepiece kit nicely giving even more power for those nights of good seeing.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Wombat_In_Space (Darren)

I own a 1997 Daewoo nubira wagon and my 12" GSO fits in fine, it is a perfect fit in the 30% split rear seat and the base fits in lying down on its side next to the Dob, if you have kids in the back as well it might be a bit of a tight squeeze.
The 12" tube weighs 25kg approx.
Old 15-03-2006, 11:43 AM
vespine

So bintel have dropped the price of their 12" dob.... to $949.00, how is a newb supposed to resist!?!

I was looking through the crappy wobble monster last night again and found orion's nebula and some other 'things' around corina, and Saturn is only setting earlier and earlier, I stayed up WAY past my bed time enthralled by the faintest little smudges, the thought of seeing a little more is almost embarrassingly exciting...

I mean I hear all you guys, I really appreciate the advice, I am TRYING heeding your wise words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss
Vespine, You should really look through some scopes before buying anything to appreciate the difference aperture makes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno
I have to say,we are probably all guilty of impulsive buying,especially when we are very keen to get something that "looks",like a good bargain.
I KNOW you are right, but seriously! I think someone has it in for me and my thousand dollars, it's like the whole universe is conspiring against me!! I'll be surprised if I make it through the weekend without caving in and driving one of those babies, errr, I mean "dobs" home