ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Noidea
Keen Newbie

10 or 12" Dob?

Hello all, I am just about to buy a Guan Sheng Dob and I am hoping that you can give me your opinion on wether it's better for me to buy a 10" Deluxe or for $100 more buy the 12" basic? (That's what my current budget allows)

I have read the reviews and just about every post on the subject of Dob's and and after weighing up the pros and cons my choice now comes down to this final question. I am hoping that those of you who either own or have used both in your experience will tell me you opinion on wether the features of the deluxe outweigh the larger aperture.

The other quandary I find myself in is that on one hand I would like to buy the scope before Astro Camp since I will have the opportunity to ask for advice on how to use it properly. On the other hand, should I hold off until I have looked through some scopes? Considering I have never looked trough anything better than my junky eBay "Wobblemaster 2000".

I suppose I could look at some on Thursday night and then drive back to Andrews in Greystanes on on Friday and then drive back up. Sounds crazy I know, but so was impulsively buying a $90 Reflector from eBay. Then again, I could win the lucky door prize and have a 12" Bintel for free. LOL!

So many decisions to make, what should I do?? Any Advice will be appreciated.
Old 22-01-2006, 10:36 AM
stinky
spamologist

Hi Noidea - I was/am in the same quandry as you - had prety much settled on a 10" deluxe dob and then talk of 16's popped up. That had me thinking then to start with an 8 - buy some EP's etc and later upgrade to the 16.

A visit to an almost local astronomer has me changing my mind again - discussed possibly getting into imaging and am now thinking of an 8" reflector on a motorised EQ mount.

For me the dob size is not an issue - the scope will almost certainly get parked here - we live well out in the country under dark skies.

Is portability an issue for you if not budget? Have you considered where you might go in Astronomy - visula / imaging etc?

Regards,
Old 22-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Put simply, the crayford focuser on the deluxe is a very desirable upgrade and well worth paying extra for. Cooling fan? ho-hum you could fit one anytime and the mirror material is largely irrelevant.

P.S The 12" is a beast of a thing whilst the 10" is a bit more transport friendly and will fit in most cars.
Old 22-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Depends on portability.....I would go for aperture and get a 12" but this is starting to get into a large scope to carrying around all the time...if thats no problem go the 12".

Both are good value for money either way.
Old 22-01-2006, 11:00 AM
matt
6000 post club member

That's exactly it. If you can handle lugging the 12 around, get the 12.

The crayford would also be a very worthwhile addition but that's something you could add-on later.

Even I managed to carry out that modification and I'm not the "handiest" bloke in the world.

The price difference for the deluxe 12 isn't really that enormous. Can it wait a few more weeks until you've saved a few more pennies?

The really good news is you can't lose whatever your final decision. Either scope is going to make your viewing a pleasure.
Old 22-01-2006, 11:09 AM
barees63

fwiw (from a newbie), If you have to carry the scope any distance you might consider the 10", even though I do all my observing at home I still have to carry the scope down a long narrow hallway, thru a couple of doorways, down steps and across a large expanse of lawn.. once for the base and once for the OTA, by the time I get there I'm usually pretty glad I don't have the 12"

Also, the GSO R&P focuser is pretty basic and I'm already finding it a source of frustration, sounds like the Crayford would be a much better choice..
Old 22-01-2006, 11:37 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

10" deluxe. my budget also stopped me from going 12" deluxe.

the extra 2" is great, but not in a std, and if you take care of your 10", then you can always sell and upgrade in a few years time!
Old 22-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Noidea
Keen Newbie

Interesting cross section of opinions and advice, thank you all for that. It's most appreciated.

At this point I should mention that I drive a Mini Cooper, LOL at the thought of fitting a 12" in there. My other car is a Jeep, it will fit in there for sure but it's for sale and then it's up to the Mini for transporting. I will have to measure the space between the boot and the fold down seats and see if it's at all possible.
Old 22-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noidea
At this point I should mention that I drive a Mini Cooper, LOL at the thought of fitting a 12" in there.
Ouch !

Its a no brainer then, and I'd be measuring carefully to see if the 10 will fit in.
The base still takes up a lot of room. In my magna, the base has to ride in the front seat as it wont fit in the boot

Another alternative is the Saxon/skywatcher type 8 inch f5 dob. I used to own one of these and at 1000mm focal length it should fit into any car.
Old 22-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Noidea
Keen Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler
Ouch !

Its a no brainer then, and I'd be measuring carefully to see if the 10 will fit in.
The base still takes up a lot of room. In my magna, the base has to ride in the front seat as it wont fit in the boot

Another alternative is the Saxon/skywatcher type 8 inch f5 dob. I used to own one of these and at 1000mm focal length it should fit into any car.
Where there's a will there's a way! If I have to drive with it hanging out of the sunroof I will. Seriously, I had better measure it, that base concerns me now.
Old 22-01-2006, 12:12 PM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Noidea, I am about to update to a larger scope, I've decided to go to the Meade 12" deluxe truss. Main reason for this is that I will only use the scope visually. And I will be able to fit it in my Ford Laser. A fixed tube 12" would be a tight squeeze. Having said that, a friend of mine has just purchased a G.S.O. 12" dob. We viewed through it last night, the views were excellent and there was a definant difference between it and a 10" nearby.

He also has a EQ6 mount that will take the scope for astrophotgraphy, his passion. I hope this helps. Cheers, John
Old 22-01-2006, 12:18 PM
stinky
spamologist

Astronut - what are you upgrading from?
Old 22-01-2006, 12:23 PM
astronut (John)

Hi Guest, Upgrading from a Unitron 4" alt -az. Great scope, but you know what happens when you get aperture fever . Cheers, John
Old 22-01-2006, 12:46 PM
stinky
spamologist

I bet that's gonna be great having the 12" then!
Old 22-01-2006, 01:23 PM
astronut (John)

YEH, YEH, YEH, YEH!!!!!
Old 22-01-2006, 05:35 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Agreed, the 12 is a pretty large scope, the 10 may suit you better. However, I think you may be on the right track and go and have a look first, there will be a lot of dobs there and I am sure you will get a good look through a lot of them.
Old 22-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Noidea
Keen Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumples riot
Agreed, the 12 is a pretty large scope, the 10 may suit you better. However, I think you may be on the right track and go and have a look first, there will be a lot of dobs there and I am sure you will get a good look through a lot of them.
Yes, I think it makes good sense to check them out physically and see them in action before I decide. Then again, I could win the lucky door prize and score a 12"
Old 19-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Mikezoom
Gravity = Beer in glass

Noidea,

How did you go with your decision mate?

Did you get to visit Lockstock and look through any scopes or just go ahead and buy one cause it was all you could think of when you slept, ate, worked, played? I am going through the same motions atm wondering if I can hold out for the 12" when I could have the 10" much earlier so any info, help would be welcome.

Mike.B.
Old 19-02-2006, 06:30 PM
cjmarsh81

Yes Noidea, spill what did you get/do???

Mikezoom/Noidea. I see you are looking at a Dob and thought I would put in my two cents. I have the 10" Skywatcher Dob and prefer it over the GSO's and Bintels. This is because it has the tension control knob on the side instead of the spring setup. I don't know what I would do without it. If the scope is too tight or loose I simply rotate the handle. With the GSO's I understand the springs stretch after time and then a mod or replacement spring is needed (I am probably going to get abused now by all the GSO owners out there). I didn't even think about this when I got my Dob, but looking back am glad I went for the Skywatcher.

Also with 10" and up they come with Pyrex glass which you aren't supposed to need a fan for cooling. I don't have one and it only takes a couple minutes for the image to clear up after I set up the scope.

They don't have the crayford focuser though, which is starting to be a pain.

Just my two cents worth

Chris
Old 19-02-2006, 06:47 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

The springs work okay, and they do not fatigue over time. I put heavy duty keyrings on the ends of mine, so I can have a lower tension setting for each spring as well. Pyrex mirror is a plus if you are lazy and/or impatient. If cost was not an issue I would go pyrex and ditch the fan+battery+wiring to keep it nice and simple.