Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-10-2009, 06:02 PM
ericc (Eric)

10" dob collimation fears???

Hi all,I think I have just about decided to buy a new gso 10" dob,after more research,and some very good advice from these forums(thanx guys)and talking to a very helpful Sydney supplier today!
But I have to admit, the thought of ongoing collimation of the 10" dob still scares me!
Just to put my mind at rest,can I let you know my circumstances--for any comments/advice on my choice of scope--before I commit?
I am 48Yrs old--Had a cheap tasco refractor a kid--and thats as much as I have had to do with the really looking at the night sky and scopes etc- till recently!
Over the last couple of months or so, Ive had the binos and star charts out(and signed up to the various forums etc).
And yeh--Im having a ball!!!!
I am especially interested in DSOs.

I do have easy access to the back door,then down a step,then up a couple of steps to the viewing area.
I would like to think-- if I smart-- I can setup and leave the scope for the session without needing to move it(but im not sure,due to ^%&*trees and different back yard levels etc).
I have some light pollution(but its ok I suppose)but I must factor in travelling to a darker site occasionally?
I am fit enough to carry the mount and then the ota no worrys.
We tend to travel "out west" 2 weeks every year(and i would like to take the scope)--we have a Hilux.

Ok--the biggy is:
With a 10" soild tube dob carefully moving it from the house into the backyard,in the real world-will it really need adjustment everytime I use it for looking at the brighter DSOs?
Or will I beable to live with things not being perfect(if I havnt the time to calibrate on the night)?

IE:can I grab n go if need be?

Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Cheers-Eric
Old 20-10-2009, 08:16 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi ericc, mate, you can use the dob as a grab 'n' go. No problem there. Collimation is not necessary to be done every time. I do it every 3rd or 5th session. You can even see the tell tale signs of needing to collimate when bright stars begin to show 'comet tales' regardless of focus.

Mate, you are in a lucky place as the IIS stomping ground is not that far from you at Mangrove Mountian, aka, The Pony Club. Look for details in the 'Star Parties' forum. Take your scope along, you will not regret it. This is the best single advice I can give.

When travelling 'west' just need to take measures against dust. The rattle and bump will mean recollimating, but there is tolerance. You will be surpised what the scope will be able to deal with.

Mental.
Old 20-10-2009, 08:19 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi ericc,

if the physical aspects of this proposed purchase don't phase you, I honestly wouldn't let the idea of collimating put you off buying a 10" dob. Dobs are great scopes, and you'll get a lot of pleasure from using it.

Many people are a bit squeamish initially about collimation. But after a couple of goes you'll be wondering what all the mystery was about. You'll need some sort of collimation device - a cheshire ep or a laser collimator - but it really is easy to do. It takes a few seconds to check with a laser collimator, and then if some adjustment needs doing, that obviously takes a little longer. But we're only talking a minute of two here - not hours or anything like that.

If you think clearly about what it it that you're supposed to be doing as you collimate, it becomes easier to do.

With a laser coll for example, you're going to fire the beam down thru the ep hole, bounce of the secondary and onto the central spot on the primary. Adjustment of secondary may be needed here. Once done, you will be adjusting the primary, if necessary, to bounce the beam back up the same light path to the central spot on the secondary (not marked) and back through the ep hole (although the ep isn't actually there - the collimator is in it's place) and into the hole in the collimator that it originally came out of. Once this is done, the light path is good.

If collimation is out a bit, you'll still be able to use the scope without adjustments being made. You may perceive a slight degradation in the viewed image quality. If col is a lot out, obviously the viewed image is going to get worse.

Hope this helps, and good luck
Old 20-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc View Post
Ok--the biggy is:
With a 10" soild tube dob carefully moving it from the house into the backyard,in the real world-will it really need adjustment everytime I use it for looking at the brighter DSOs?
Or will I beable to live with things not being perfect(if I havnt the time to calibrate on the night)?
If you're just taking it from the back door to the back yard, no, you should not have to collimate every time. You will need to always check the finderscope, however (I'm always amazed at people who think finders should be set like concrete once they've done them - nup!). Just carrying the dob around at home should not be enough to greatly shift things about.

But if you take it for a drive in your car, then yes, collimate everytime it comes out of the back of the car. It will get jolted around quite a bit on the journey and will appreciate a quick tweak of the mirrors.

As the others have said, don't be afraid of collimation. If you don't have a go you'll never learn and then you'll be even worse off than making a few learning mistakes along the way.
Old 20-10-2009, 09:54 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Eric,
I hear where you're coming from. But believe me, after you've collimated a few times it becomes a piece of cake. The first time takes ages, by the 10th time, only a couple of minutes at the most.
My first real scope was the GSO 10" Dob. I used to move it using a hand trolley, using the foam inserts from it's box to support it or by breaking it down, moving the base then the ota.
The only times I collimated was after a road trip.
It's a great scope. You'll get many years of enjoyment from it.
Old 20-10-2009, 10:13 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

As regards Collimation, yes it scared me at first. 2 things helped. Buying a complete set of Bobs Knobs accessories (primary knobs, locking knobs primary spring and secondary knobs. So much easier to use than the supplied stuff from GSO or SW. Also lashed out on a laser collimator. Process is so simple I check it even for quick looks in the backyard, cos I know it only takes 30-60 seconds to tweak it, and the more I do it the quicker it gets. I do a complete collimation every 5 or 6 sessions. using cheshire and laser, but usually don't have to do any more than I would with a "quickie"
As for moving your scope, check out the trolley I put together at
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=47433
Makes life really easy. Can even load it into the back of my wagon on the trolley and tie it down with straps.
Old 21-10-2009, 03:38 PM
ericc (Eric)

A big thank you to all,--you have put my mind at rest!
Yep--it looks like a GSO 10" is on the way(when they become availible--in the next 2 weeks Im told)!
Is there any limit to the really dumb questions I can ask you guys and girls before I become really unpopular??
Im damn sure I will think of a heap more to ask when I actually get to use the scope(sorry in advance people)!!
I have called in to the observatory at Kulnara to have a "sticky" a long time ago(but daytime only). That sounds like a good idea to pop in and see what goes on(with my scope in the back of course)!
Thanks again for the help,very very much appreciated!
Cheers-Eric
Old 21-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Good move Eric! As others have said, collimating it will take a few minutes once your familiar with it. I hope you have lots of fun with your scope.
Old 21-10-2009, 08:48 PM
mac (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc View Post
Yep--it looks like a GSO 10" is on the way(when they become availible--in the next 2 weeks Im told)!
Is there any limit to the really dumb questions I can ask you guys and girls before I become really unpopular??
Hahah, nah I don't think there's a limit. We all love trying to answer these questions.

I recently bought a GSO 10" dob too, and it's fantastic (even in my inner city location). You're going to have a blast.
Old 22-10-2009, 06:06 PM
ericc (Eric)

Thanks again for the positive feedback people--for a newbie its golden!
PS:I have just realised that the previously mentioned "Pony Club"(after I actually looked at the map)is not in the location where I assumed it was--DOH!
Cheers-Eric
Old 22-10-2009, 07:42 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

your always welcome to pop down for a visit Eric

your not that far away

geoff
Old 23-10-2009, 08:32 AM
ericc (Eric)

Thank you very much for the invite--I will take you up on that one!
Cheers--Eric