Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

My bit would be, if transport is not an issue then go for the 12". However, after saying that remember that the best scope is the one you use the most so take a good look at them before actually parting with your hard earned, the 12" is like a water heater.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2007, 01:35 PM
LX200
Night Owl

Cool 10" V 12"

G'Day Y'All

A 12" has immense light gathering capacity with a visual limiting magnitude of approximately 15 and 45% more light gathering capacity than a 10".

The 12" scope will perform quite nicely on faint deep space objects such as galaxies and nebulas under mildly light-polluted suburban skies

Structure can be seen in galaxies and planetary nebulas, with an LPR filter, from barely visible blurs in smaller scopes.
Globular clusters are usually resolved to their core.
Jupiter pops out of the sky with fine structural detail
Old 12-02-2007, 03:05 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX200 View Post
A 12" has immense light gathering capacity with a visual limiting magnitude of approximately 15 and 45% more light gathering capacity than a 10".
To put that 45% figure in some sort of perspective, it equates to me taking one of my scopes for a drive from where I live 20km from Melbourne CBD to about 4km farther from the city. If I drive to a dark sky site well away from the city (90km or more) I'm looking at the equivalent of over 600% increase in brightness. Where you observe from is by far the biggest factor in how deep you will be able to see.

Big scopes are big and bright until you look through bigger ones. An 18" will make the 12" feel rather dim. And a 25" will put them both to shame. But you have to consider what is still a practical size for you. Nothing can substitute for hands on experience there so I would again strongly encourage you to go along to some viewing nights with amateur astronomers in your area before buying a scope.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM
thersites

but if i took the 12 to a dark site? ....
Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

... and so you should. Or you could just drive yourself to a dark site where a club has an 18 or 25" scope ready to go.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:27 PM
thersites

this is an excellent point, i see what you mean. taking a 10 to a dark site would be cool too, and the neices and nephews wouldn't need a step ladder! i've looked through an 8 and a 10 but only ever seen screen images of a 12. i guess i'm just trying to be light greedy!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:44 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Not at all. For many people 12" is the optimal size. Just because I prefer a 10" does not mean that it's right for everyone. just one more thought: For a 12" I'd go with the Lightbridge over the solid tube. Even when fully assembled, it is a more manageable and more accessible setup. But this is also just my opinion, and you might find that a solid tube 12" suits you just as well.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:51 PM
thersites

if that's the case, then i will be better off with a 10, don't really want to spend over 1000 initially. but i think i definitely need my own scope. i like visiting the library, but there's nothing like having your own copy of a beloved book to pull out wherever and whenever you like!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:12 PM
DougAdams
Lord Lissie

I was talking to a guy on Saturday who owns several scopes. He went for a 10" over a 12" because the seated position at the eyepiece was much more comfortable. He found a 12" a bit too high.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:38 PM
thersites

has anyone seen Naysmith's idea where the eyepiece is the pivot point and the seat is on the 'turntable'? He was a smart cookie