Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2005, 11:17 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I've still got one of these filters........it cracked in half while my father was looking thru the eyepiece of my 8" reflector 20 odd years ago.....
Old 28-09-2005, 11:17 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Solar film would be just as if not more dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced/foolish as solar EP filters. Unless the solar film comes with precise instructions on how to and how not to use it.
Old 17-11-2005, 08:40 PM
rochler
Honk if u luv cheeses...

Thumbs down I too had one of these....

EP Solar filters. It came with my first 'Dept. Store' scope (115mm reflector) in the late 60's. I used it a number of times correctly (by putting on the aperture mask so that only a small portion of light entered the OTA and it was o.k.)

However, it is *very* easy to forget to use the aperture mask, particularly for a child (I was only 9 at the time) and on one occasion that is what I did. Luckily I was taking a break & talking to my brother when all of a sudden I heard a loud 'pop' and instantly an extremely bright beam of light emerged from the eyepiece. We were both like 'wow, what is that?' I immediately pointed the scope away from the sun and took out the eyepiece. Examination of the filter showed that it had a huge crack diagonally across the entire surface - it had expanded from the heat to the point where it exploded. Even at that young age I shuddered at the thought of what might have happened to me.

If I had been looking thru the EP at the time I would have instantaneously fried my own lense & optic nerve! I won't even try to imagine the agony it would involve either - it would be mebbe like someone plunging a red-hot dagger in your eye? I would undoubtably be blind today, but for sheer luck.

These EP filters *can* work safely *but* only if EXTREME caution is used. But quite rightly, the risk is far too high to allow these to be sold to unsuspecting users. It is not unlike giving a child a loaded .357 magnum on a hair trigger and inviting them to peer down the barrel while they play around with it.....

Old 18-11-2005, 11:32 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

rochler, It doesn't matter 'that they can be used safely'. They are illegal & extremely dangerous. You can consider yourself 'very' lucky you weren't at the E/Pc when that incident took place. You would prob. not have felt any pain, as the retina has no pain sensors afaik. Painless blindness.....
For the newcomer to Astronomy, who do not know any better, please, if you read this thread, DESTROY this type of 'Eyepiece sun filter' ASAP. L.
Old 19-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Roger Davis

It doesn't matter how much discussion is had on this, they are illegal and legislated against (as I said in a previous post). This entire discussion can simply be replaced with the words "EYEPIECE SUN FILTERS ARE ILLEGAL, DESTROY WITHOUT USING"
Closed Thread