Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 06-07-2021, 11:50 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Setting up new lap top???

I picked up my new lap top earlier today.
I have not thought about it too much other than today...and I cant remember what I did when I set up for the ZWO 1600
Probably a good idea to use it only for the mount and the camera and do DSS, Startools and Photoshop on my desk top although probably having these on the lap top would be handy so what are members thoughts on this given that I will buy Photoshop and Startools and maybe put them on both the new laptop and the old desk top.

So I expect to download from ASCOM the following from their list of driver downloads which appears on the left of the Home>Downloads>Telescope/Mount Drivers ..screen:-

Camera and Video...Filter Wheels... Telescope/Mount.

Although I dont need filter wheels as this laptop is primarily for the RASA 11 so maybe not worry about that one.. And I will leave the ZWO 1600 drivers just for my old lap top.

Next thing download drivers from ZWO for the camera (ZWO2600mono)

Then, maybe, PHD guiding although I hope not to guide the RASA.

Then Sharpcap and pay the fee to get the extra features.

Then Startools and Photoshop to go on both the new laptop and the old desk top.

Mmm probably first some type of security thing ..any suggestions on which croud to use?

I am trying to think of anything that I have missed.

Alex
Old 06-07-2021, 12:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

How are you going to navigate , Goto track etc..
Haven’t used the handcontroller in years , although I still use it just to polar align , that’s all
Your EQ6-R will work really well with EQMOD and Stellarium
I’ve been controlling both my EQ6-R’s with EQMOD and Stellarium for years , so accurate and quick finding objects
Attached docs for both types of connections if your interested
Cheers
Martin
Old 06-07-2021, 12:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin..using the hand paddle is a big step forward for me only started using goto with the last mount..so thats three gotos mounts that I never used goto...I liked the old fashion thing of finding objects from a star map..the mount was for tracking..slewing with motors too slow..however I think I will try and link with Stelarium and enjoy the benefits plus I should get the Asiair wifi going when I think about it.
Alex
Old 06-07-2021, 02:42 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks Martin..using the hand paddle is a big step forward for me only started using goto with the last mount..so thats three gotos mounts that I never used goto...I liked the old fashion thing of finding objects from a star map..the mount was for tracking..slewing with motors too slow..however I think I will try and link with Stelarium and enjoy the benefits plus I should get the Asiair wifi going when I think about it.
Alex
Alex
My philosophy in AP is maximise imaging time as good clear nights are not regular, so I’d rather find my object quick , frame and focus up and get underway ASAP
When I first started AP I used cardboard Star maps and manual slewing etc.., waisted so much bloody time finding objects, ok if your just observing as time is yours when observing but as soon as I used goto with the handcontroller gee it saved hours and then advancing to using EQMOD and Stellarium, I’ll never look back. I’m not into plate solving and that sophisticated stuff , I just like navigating used the Stellarium display , real hands on , accurate and easy to use, Goto is spot on , very close to centre each time
Anyway if your comfortable using adopted methods stick to them as they work for you
The info is there if you need it and I’m only a message away to help
Martin
Old 06-07-2021, 07:08 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, turn off the Win 10 auto update "feature". There are a few different Utube videos on how to do this effectively. It is a pain in the back side to have Win10 suddenly decide it wants to do a big update when your firing it up to image.
Just do a Google search on Win10 update disable, you will see a number of good suggestions. Be aware that some of them are only temporary, and updates can be triggered by restarts in some situations.

Have fun.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Good advice from Glen !!!
My laptop never gets connected to the internet , it’s purely an autonomous Astrophotography laptop, if I need a software update or additional software etc.. I copy it from somewhere else on to a USB stick and load it that way
“I learnt the hard way a couple of years ago leaving my Astrophotography laptop on line” nothing but problems and gremlins

Also I don’t install Virus Protection either, don’t need it and it sometimes is the cause of problems with connectivity in my Astro programs

Upon Glen’s advice here’s how to disable Windows 10 updates ( you may still get internal updates about defender virus protection etc..., but just close it , it won’t do any harm as it’s doing nothing )

Disable Windows 10 Updates

1/ Click on Search box on bottom left task bar
2/ Type in services.msc and hit enter, this opens the Services window
3/ Scroll down and find “Windows Updates” then double click on it
4/ This opens up Windows Updates Properties , then click on the General tab at the top
5/ Then go to Start up type and select “Disabled”
6/ Press Apply at bottom and then Ok. You will now see Windows Updates disabled in the Services directory
7/ Now restart or reboot your computer
8/ Windows Updates will be disabled
9/ You can enable Windows Updates by reversing the above

Another important item to check in Windows 10 is Power Management of your USB drivers
Make sure you check and do the following -
How to Check Power Management in USB drivers

Right click Computer
Left click Manage
Double click Device Manager
Double click Universal Serial Bus controllers
Double click 1st USB Root Hub ( USB3 )
Go into Power Management and uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”
Open any other additional USB Root Hubs and do the same
Press OK and close all Windows

There are probably a few other things to check and do but that’s enough for now , see how you go with your set up

Cheers
Martin
Old 06-07-2021, 08:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks you Glen and thank you Martin. I have not started yet but my daughter said she would help me tomorrow.
Martin I will print out your downloads as I find hard copy better to work with and we will do that early on...This lappy has 4 usb ports and I am getting a blue tooth mouse so as not to waste one on just the mouse...trying to be patient ... Got a decent inverter that hopefully will run the desk top..not sure that it will but it was pirchased really for other stuff but it just occurred to me that it may be ok...lots to do.

Alex
Old 06-07-2021, 08:43 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Thanks you Glen and thank you Martin. I have not started yet but my daughter said she would help me tomorrow.
Martin I will print out your downloads as I find hard copy better to work with and we will do that early on...This lappy has 4 usb ports and I am getting a blue tooth mouse so as not to waste one on just the mouse...trying to be patient ... Got a decent inverter that hopefully will run the desk top..not sure that it will but it was pirchased really for other stuff but it just occurred to me that it may be ok...lots to do.

Alex
Alex,
Glad to help
Hope it all goes well
Martin
Old 07-07-2021, 02:32 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Just thought of another item you might like to action on your new laptop
“Disabling Notifications”
They tend to be an annoying nuisance on a standalone Astro lappy and pop up at the most inconvenient times

Go to Settings > System > Notifications and actions

Quick Actions
Press Edit your quick actions and you can delete any quick actions you don’t require
Notifications
Leave On and untuck or uncheck all boxes plus switch off most recent notifications as well
Then switch off Main Notifications switch
Then exit out of Notifications , restart computer
All done !!
NB: You may still get notifications from defender virus protection which is internal in Windows, you could disable this but I haven’t found where to do this yet , it annoys me sometimes

Cheers
Martin
Old 07-07-2021, 03:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin
We, my daughter and me, went to the van this morning to bring the desk top up to the main house so we could instal some things on both machines but while I was in the observatory and looking in a box of astrogear I found the corrupt hard drive with all my photos which I thought I had thrown out in disgust..my daughter ran it on her machine and happy days all my photos, that I regarded as gone, all my photos, I only had remaining 20 on my phone..are OK...nearly a tera byte of subs and processed photos saved...I am so happy...but I think I may now print out all finished work and burn a DVD.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 07-07-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:28 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Thanks Martin
We, my daughter and me, went to the van this morning to bring the desk top up to the main house so we could instal some things on both machines but while I was in the observatory and looking in a box of astrogear and found the corrupt hard drive with all my photos which I thought I had thrown out in disgust..my daughter ran it on her machine and happy days all my photos are bad..I am so happy.
Alex
Alex,

Good news
Martin
Old 07-07-2021, 05:07 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

Install NINA while you're at it. :-)
Also SharpCap 3.2 seems to be free now 4.0 has been released.
Has all the features.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks
Old 11-07-2021, 03:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well not much to report but I have managed to download ASCOM platform and the camera driver and Sharpcap for a test and happily I can say it works.

I was going to set it on the RASA today without the filter drawer or filters and packed the car with all I needed but then became rather sick... so another day...thats all I have done but believe me in my current state it was a huge effort...the stuff I am taking seems to make concentrating very difficult and I am unusually impatient... anyways I will not give in.
Got the bluetooth mouse and a bag for the new laptop so getting some things done..it seems like a nice little unit so far.

Alex
Old 12-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

Get better soon