Old 25-02-2014, 03:10 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Amp Glow QHY8L problem

Hi All,

I was wondering how I could turn off this glow in the top left hand corner of this image. The image is only 2 minutes in length and the glow is more apparent in longer exposures.
This has never happen before and is driving me mad well now since I changed PC's. (Win7 Ult 64bit)

Image was taken in MaximDL and at -15deg.

My Camera is the QHY8L.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Amp Glow.jpg)
183.9 KB70 views
Old 25-02-2014, 03:26 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeb61 View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering how I could turn off this glow in the top left hand corner of this image. The image is only 2 minutes in length and the glow is more apparent in longer exposures.
This has never happen before and is driving me mad well now since I changed PC's. (Win7 Ult 64bit)

Image was taken in MaximDL and at -15deg.

My Camera is the QHY8L.
My first guess would be that the cooler isn't working. Is the -15deg the present value from the camera? What was the ambient temp? At this time of year you might have to set it at something below -30.
Old 25-02-2014, 05:45 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Thanks Andrew,

I took the image last night, surprising enough it was quite mild outside. The cooler didn't struggle to gain the marked -15 and hovered around this temp for the duration.

I have never pushed it to -30 the most was -20. There is something fishy going on as when I use EZYCap, the shorter exposures download but slightly longer exposures hang whilst downloading. I used this as an example because EZYCAP doesn't use EQMOD drivers? because I thought this may be the issue but alas no.

MaximDL appears to download thumbnail images??

I am going to bypass the USB Powered Hub and try and take some test shots. I will see from there.

Paul
Old 25-02-2014, 06:37 PM
alistairsam

I doubt if a usb issue could cause amp glow. As mentioned it could be the cooler not working.
If its under warranty, then its worth checking with theo.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 25-02-2014, 07:43 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

I have had this issue and it tuned out to be the multi pin din/ s video connector not making good contact. I used some electrical contact cleaner spray and cut a very small amount of the plastic on the plug ends so they pushed into the sockets a little deeper.... Hey presto the problem was fixed. I was also getting lots of hot pixels, but all is good now.. You could also try another cable. You can purchase them cheap from Jaycar or d/smiths

Mardy
Old 25-02-2014, 09:23 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Thanks Mardy and Alistair for your supporting messages, it is much appreciated.

I connected a laptop running MaximDL directly to the QHY8L and exposed 10 x 5 minute images and everything worked perfectly! Temp set at -15 remained stable. The results of the exposed images? No Amp Glow at all!

So I'm beginning to think there are issues with the original Windows 7 build on my PC?

The attached image is a single 5 minute exposure, rough process in CS3. The was taken inside the ob's whilst still light outside hence the halo.

It needs further investigating.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Test2.jpg)
147.8 KB83 views
Old 02-03-2014, 01:31 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Just to cap off on this problem.

I have reimaged my PC and everything is running as it should, I am capturing 5 minute exposures with no hint of amp glow.

Thinking back, I had used Bahtinov Grabber for the first time on another PC which ran into problems with my QHY8L as well and a rebuild later I never used it again? This time I actually ran Bahtinov Grabber again and the same thing has happened again with a different PC?? I think I may give it a wide berth.

Would there be any compatibility issues with Bahtinov Grabber?

Just a though.

Paul