Old 13-05-2011, 07:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Question 2x Canon 40D's = 1x Canon 5D Mark II ??

Hi guys

I really, really want a Canon 5D Mk II.. but can't afford it.

I've got a regular Canon 40D, and a modified Canon 40D.

If I sold both of those, would it get me a 5D Mk II body?

Also, would my regular lenses (Sigma 17-70mm and Canon 24-105mm L) work on the 5D Mk II?

I certainly can't afford extra lenses as well :/

I love having 2 camera bodies (1 doing timelapses while the other attached to the telescope, etc), but the extra sensitivity and lower noise of the 5D Mk II would really suit me. Just look at what Phil Hart does with timelapses, and H with landscapes of course..

Thoughts?
Old 13-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

A new 5D Mk-II body from D-D-P is $2,845 Mike - bare. That's one of the lowest prices here in Oz, but some others might have it a little cheaper on the day. Selling both 40D's would possibly get you just over half way there. I sold my 40D a little while ago and only managed $700 with lens and other accessories. Maybe one of yours is worth more to a buyer modded.

My main lens is a 24-105mm EF F4.0 IS USM and it's fantastic on the 5DII. My shot of the girl in the rock was taken with it as was the fisherman shot in this month's comp.

Not sure about your Sigma - I know nothing about them.
Old 13-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hi Mike,

As a result of the earthquake in Japan, a lot of consumer items have gone up a lot in recent times. The 5D Mark II has gone up $250, and the flagship Canon series has risen by $500-$800.

The 5D Mark III may just be around the corner (speculation based on release date history) in a few months (3-year release cycles) and so you could find a Mark II going for relatively cheap. If you can wait it out. Having said that, the flagship 1Ds was due a while ago going by historical release date data, but, that's not been released and is well overdue. The same could be true of a 5D Mark III.

The 24-105mm f/4L IS USM will blow you away on full frame. The Sigma, as long as it's an EF mount, and not EF-S, will work just fine.

Your other option is to get the original 5D for around $800. Although, it doesn't have the same low-light high-ISO sensitivity, it is still a remarkable camera. I am looking for one for myself owing to its portraiture capabilities.

Your 40D's will likely fetch between $600 and $700.

H
Old 13-05-2011, 07:47 AM
koputai (Jason)

The Sigma 17-70 is an EF-S equivalent lens, so no, it won't fit on the 5D MkII unfortunately.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 13-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Oh, bugger.

H
Old 13-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

From Photozone lens tests:

Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC is a DC ("Digital Camera") lens specifically designed for the reduced image circle of today's APS-C DSLRs.

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/31...report--review

Cheers

Dennis
Old 13-05-2011, 12:59 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Ouch - 3 40D bodies on ebay, currently hovering around the $400 mark!!
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?rt=nc...=p3286.c0.m282

...very good for the prospective astro-imager though!
Old 13-05-2011, 03:01 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re bodies

Yeah-its a real temptation a 5D2,that Humayan and his 'Venus Goddess' on the beach (stunning image) I imagine has got many thinking 5D2-I am pondering the very same thing,Mike.

The cheapest I could find a new 5D2 for was around $2200 at DWI,but that was before the Earthquake over in Japan,Unfortunately the Canon gear has gone up a bit since then,I looked at a 100 mm EF macro (non L) in November from them it was prices at$517,now approx $570.

As for selling your two 40D's,depends on age etc etc.But I think a really good example of 40D might make $700 plus,a mod'ed one really not sure,but at least the same-plus a bit.So may be you would get $1500 towards the goddess excursions.

The low noise on this 5D2 sounds very good.One thing I was a little suprised about the 5D2 was it was only 3 FPS (I may stand corrected on this),which would be a small issue,as I would want to use the 400 mm L on it for birding.

Good luck,with your decision,I feel,that once I have done the astro imaging I want to do,I will sell one of my scope set ups,and put funds to a 5D2,I am sure it would get a lot more use.

Chris
Old 13-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
One thing I was a little suprised about the 5D2 was it was only 3 FPS (I may stand corrected on this),which would be a small issue,as I would want to use the 400 mm L on it for birding.
3.9 if you please...
Old 13-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Chris (hotspur),

The 5D Mark II only has 9 focus points, also, as well as just the 3.9 fps.

Canon /needs/ to delineate between the 5D Mark II prosumer line and the 1D/1Ds professional line which are capable of 11+ fps. These also have 47 focus points.

The 5D Mark II already cannibalised a lot of the professional sales for studio and landscape work. Granted, the head of Canon Japan did say that (until the 1D Mark IV came out) the 5D Mark II was their flagship camera. Even then, the 1D Mark IV is the 1.3x crop sensor, not the full frame absolute beast that the 1Ds Mark IV (or, Mark V) will be.

H
Old 14-05-2011, 07:26 AM
astroboy

Go on Mike take the plunge , you will find that the 5D II will inspire you to take better pics , be warned though its a slippery slope financially as you will find only the best lenses are worth using on it . I will forever be in the poor house , I have a modded 5D mk II on the way now.
At least you have the 24-105 L , I find it a very good lens.

Zane
Old 14-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Phil Hart

I agree with H that if you can wait till the release of the mkIII, the used market for the 5DII will become much more attractive to buyers. But it's a lost cause trying to predict when that will come out.. could be next week or next year. (The 5DmkIII may not be any better than the mkII for astro so it could be win-win when the mkIIs are on the second hand market :-).

The old 5D is still a great camera, but I wouldn't recommend it for your purposes as it doesn't have LiveView focus. For widefield astro work with lenses, LiveView is what makes the whole process easy, fun and successful!

Phil
Old 14-05-2011, 09:13 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

I got my self a 5d MKII for Xmas from Harvey Norman for $2650. It's a beautiful camera and I'm constantly surprised at how good colours look on it.
If your using if for Astro work though, your going to have to factor in focal reducer as well. That full frame means things look awfully far away,and for most dso's that's not what you want, as you know. Sure you can crop it but your throwing away most of your resolution.

It does do beautiful sunsets though.
Old 14-05-2011, 09:15 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Is the iso performance of the 5d mk1 still superior at iso 800/1600 than the good aps size sensor bodies?
Old 14-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

When I last heard about the impending release of the 5D mkIII, it was supposed to be Sept/Oct 2011 or thereabouts BUT with the Japanese earthquake I'm not sure if that's coming on stream or not

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 18-05-2011, 07:17 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Any answers re noise from 5d mk1 vs good aps chip at say iso 800?
Old 18-05-2011, 07:55 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for all the feedback - it looks like a 5D Mark II is still some time off, given the current prices of 40D's!

Problem is, even when the 5D Mk III comes out and the Mk II gets cheaper, so will the 40D most likely.

Glad to know the 24-105mm will still work, but would have to get rid of the 17-70. I want to get a wide angle (10-22) anyway so I guess that might be a chance to
Old 18-05-2011, 08:44 AM
koputai (Jason)

I actually think the older Canon DSLR's such as the 40D are overpriced
in the second hand market.

If you take in to consideration what you can buy new from grey
importers, and the fact that with an older camera you are possibly
going to have the shutter replaced during your ownership, the $550
you pay for an old 40D, or $850 for a 50D seems a bit high.

Cheers,
Jason.

Last edited by koputai; 18-05-2011 at 08:57 AM.