Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 02-08-2022, 10:28 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

NGC6744 - Big brother to the Milky Way

This is my first attempt at a galaxy in almost 4 years.

This little beauty is situated perfectly in my imaging line of sight to gather data all night long.

This is roughly 2 hours and 20 mins worth of data with 3 min exposures and no filter (need to invest in something to assist with LP I think).

I battled with various different methods in both PI and PS to reduce the colour noise and noise in general, but I am resigned to the fact that I will just need to add much more data to make this amazing little galaxy POP.

Definitely will be adding plenty more data to this one as the nights go on.

Full res HERE

WO ZS81
HEQ5 Pro
ASI 533MC Pro
Pixinsight
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC6744 JPG.jpg)
183.2 KB101 views
Old 03-08-2022, 07:57 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Good work Jacob.
When I was imaging in Sydney I could not go past 40 seconds before the light pollution knocked me out.
Great to see you so active.
Alex
Old 03-08-2022, 08:29 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Good work Jacob.
When I was imaging in Sydney I could not go past 40 seconds before the light pollution knocked me out.
Great to see you so active.
Alex
Thanks Alex!

Yeah I completely understand that. I live about 45 mins from the CBD so the glow on the horizon is pretty horrendous, but it is manageable when you start bringing in filters. I suspect I will need to buy some type of UV/IR filter.

I'm so happy to be active again. It's one of those moments of "You don't know what you've got until it is gone", which was definitely the case when I sold everything off
Old 03-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Dave882 (David)

Hi Jacob nice effort mate. That’s a pretty faint galaxy there too, so have managed well with a fairly small aperture.
Definitely I’d recommend a uv/ir filter. Possibly even a broad lp filter but be careful as since galaxies are broadband you will be loosing detail and colour the more filtering you use. The more I do galaxies the more time I’m realising in need on them. With more data you can control the noise much more naturally and bring out more detail. There’s only so much you can do in post processing.
Can’t wait to see how you progress with this one!
Old 05-08-2022, 07:55 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Hi Jacob nice effort mate. That’s a pretty faint galaxy there too, so have managed well with a fairly small aperture.
Definitely I’d recommend a uv/ir filter. Possibly even a broad lp filter but be careful as since galaxies are broadband you will be loosing detail and colour the more filtering you use. The more I do galaxies the more time I’m realising in need on them. With more data you can control the noise much more naturally and bring out more detail. There’s only so much you can do in post processing.
Can’t wait to see how you progress with this one!
Thanks Dave!
Yeah that's where I think i'm heading. The UV/IR filters are good because they don't break the bank too
i'll get myself one in the next week or so and do a few more sessions on this target and update the image as I go
Old 05-08-2022, 12:47 PM
oska (John)
Illucid

Nice one. I love the blue!
Old 05-08-2022, 01:18 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oska View Post
Nice one. I love the blue!
Thanks John