ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2022, 11:20 AM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

Annnnnnd it's another M16

G'day everyone. Seems I've had too much work lately and not enough play, and when I could play, it's been raining, cloudy ... meh! But last night there was more sky than clouds in the Bush Capital (until about 0100) so I gave M16 my first ever attempt with 3.5hrs of subs. As I don't have a true duo-band filter, I've been playing with a Baader UHC-S filter which seems to have worked well under last nights bright moon. I've also just discovered how to extract quasi Ha and OIII subs from the RGB/UHC-S data so I'll have a play with that this week and see what it looks like ... can I use that to produce an image that isn't just Ha dominated orange-red? Thanks for taking a peep! Alex

SW120ED x 0.85 Reducer/Flattener
42 x 300s subs, ASI294MC
Baader UHC-S filter
Darks, flats, dark flats. APP, PS, DeNoise then cropped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M16_Eagle_Nebula_UHC-S-RGB-session_1-Cropped.jpg)
185.6 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (M16_Eagle_Nebula_UHC-S-RGB-session_1-Full.jpg)
185.5 KB29 views
Old 11-07-2022, 11:47 PM
Dave882 (David)

Well done Alex- got some nice detail around the pillars as well as plenty of surround kind nebulously. If my memory serves me correct the UHC-s filter is fairly gentle and suitable for visual use too so may not be as effective as a more aggressive filter under a big moon, but yes you’ve still managed a nice result.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:14 AM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

Hi Dave and thanks for the feedback - it gives me confidence that I’m on the right track. I was happy with the detail I could pull out of the image but am constrained by my current lack of image editing skills. Lots to learn. I was hoping for a little more OIII-ish colour but the image was always dominated by Ha-ish red/orange. At some stage I’ll invest in a true narrowband filter(s) because - as you correctly stated - the UHC-S’s two bands are quite wide to accommodate visual use (which is why I got it). Alex