Old 18-05-2011, 01:51 PM
von Tom (Tom)

DSLR settings for the ISS/Space Shuttle?

I am a little excited about the possibility of imaging the Space Shuttle Endeavour tonight from Brisbane (http://www.heavens-above.com/PassDet...681.3428985301, ) before it docks with the ISS which is expected to be about 2 seconds behind.

I could play it safe by doing a trailed exposure but I would like to use my EOS 550D and 12" f/5 Dob to capture a close-up image. In order to do so, would I be better off aiming at a position in the sky I know the Shuttle will go, or should I attempt to track the Shuttle?

Also, at f/5, what would be the best ISO/exposure I should use to capture (either on video or still) the ISS and/or shuttle so as to minimise motion blur and overexposure?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 18-05-2011, 03:38 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Tom

In my experience, find a star that's as close to the same brightness as the ISS/shuttle will be, and use that to focus and set your exposure.

It's difficult during twilight passes to do this, because there's rarely any stars that bright!

Using the Moon to focus is good, but then you still have to get the exposure right.

I always tried to track it, using my finderscope, rather than positioning it where the ISS will pass through and leaving it.

Not sure how many FPS the DSLR does, but I used to use 60fps with the DMK.

Good luck!
Old 18-05-2011, 04:09 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

hmmm...looking a little cloudy in Brissy...