Old 07-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Muddy Diver
Your Brain Drain

Which Digital Camera

I am about to buy a new digital camera. Want to spend around $700 but have been, unsuccesfully, loking for something with full manual control which will allow me to open the shutter for any period. (Like the bulb setting on film SLR's). I havent found one and would like a camera which will take good shots for normal use but could also be used for some night sky and constellation shots. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should go look at please?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:29 PM
vindictive666 (John)
KeyboardNotFndPressAnyKey

try this site its a US Site Though

http://dpreview.com/
Old 07-02-2006, 01:57 PM
h0ughy (David)

Try to pick up a second hand 300d, you might be lucky with one around that price, or save your pennys and see what you can get. The pentax is around $1000.

Now without blowing my trumpet, the camera I have for sale will do exactly what you want, even comes with the digital bulb mechinism. complete with a 7 times optical zoom. Read up on it here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=7436 and follow the link to DP review. ands its way cheaper
Old 07-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Jonathan

Your best bet would be to save up another couple of hundred and get a Pentax *istDS. I reckon if you look really hard you'll get a new one with a lens for $900. Otherwise, browse the DP review pages.

As far as compacts go, I've got a Casio EX-Z750 that I'm pretty happy with, It's capable of being fully manual with 60sec to 1/6000th shutter, 3x zoom, 7.2 pixies and it's very compact (easily fits in your pocket). I haven't tried it on any astro shots yet so I couldn't tell you if it's any good for that. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioz750/
Don't buy one in Australia though, they're overpriced by a couple of hundred - better off importing one.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Volans

G'day Muddy,

I would think that it might be a touch difficult to get a fully manual digital camera for around the $700 mark. You will probably be able to get a good digital with some manual control but not full manual control - eg. the bulb setting.

If it is at all possible for you to afford the extra money then I would suggest the Canon 350D. I simply cannot rate this camera any higher than what I have done previously - ease of use, great all rounder the list goes on.

Below is one of the first astrophotography images I have ever taken. Shutter Speed 30" ... Aperture 3.5 ... ISO 800 ... Focal Length 18.0mm. I just set the camera on the tripod, put it on the longest exposure I could (I didn't have a cable release then) and pointed the camera in the general direction of Scorpius. Getting the foucs was a bit hard because of the cloud but all in all I was impressed with how easy the thing is to use. The other shot is to give you an example of a day time image which was taken on full automatic mode. Camera on tripod...point and shoot.

As I said, it is expensive but oh so well worth it.

Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (scorpius.JPG)
60.7 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (stbp.JPG)
86.1 KB26 views
Old 07-02-2006, 05:01 PM
h0ughy (David)

muddy the minolta has full manual control, just read the specs