Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 12-06-2021, 08:34 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I am working on a low-cost silica gel version that hopefully will save money as well as functional and battery-powered.

This project once tested will be Open-source as it is really easy to build.

I picked up a bunch of re-usable gel packs and only require changing out and sticking in the microwave. The powered part is a fan forced into the gel satchels.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:10 PM
SteveJP (Steve)

Hi Glen, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Steve, I have burned out two of the cheaper ones available on the Net, they both failed where the power cord enters the unit, melted stuff. So look for ones suitable for continuous duty, and they are not cheap.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:14 PM
SteveJP (Steve)

Hi - Sounds interesting, although I'm still thinking of an active peltier unit. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
I am working on a low-cost silica gel version that hopefully will save money as well as functional and battery-powered.

This project once tested will be Open-source as it is really easy to build.

I picked up a bunch of re-usable gel packs and only require changing out and sticking in the microwave. The powered part is a fan forced into the gel satchels.
Old 13-06-2021, 07:42 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJP View Post
Hi - Sounds interesting, although I'm still thinking of an active peltier unit. Thanks.
I am building a new enclosure/outside cover for my scope that will leave all the power intact and operating. The beauty of it will be the low volume, so I can get a manageable humidifying capability.

The cover though I think may not be open source. I am hoping to help support income for my wife who is on DSP.
Old 18-06-2021, 11:47 PM
xthestreams (Paul)
photon disrupter

I added a dehumidifier from Damp Solutions to my Nexdome to solve the morning “drips” and to help dry out the dome after a deluge - it’s been great. The version I’ve purchased has a hose kit, I drilled a gland/thru bullhead to seal it off and drain to a nearby garden.

It is permanently “on” set to 80% and I simply power it on and off using an SNMP set command sent to an old APC switchable PDU I purchased on eBay for a few bucks.

I sleep better knowing it’s on duty.