Old 26-02-2022, 07:45 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

February 26th, 7.35am.

The Sun's appearance is still dominated by the two large Sunspots. Unfortunately, the seeing is still terrible. It is by far the worst that I have seen in the morning.

On this slow day, I wish to make an correction and apology for my ignorance. What I have been referring to as umbra around large sunspots is more correctly known as Penumbra. The Umbra is the very dark area in the center.
Old 27-02-2022, 09:36 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

February 27th, 9.15am.

Northern Regions 2954 & 2955 both feature one-large spot each and are have travelled halfway across the Sun' Disc. Both spots are surrounded by penumbra, however, the R2955's spot has the largest area of penumbra.

General Info: I was puzzled by the numbers given to the Regions. The numbering is often shortened , as the above are properly designated as AR12954 & AR12955. AR is an aberration for Active Region.

Region numbering started in the early Seventies and took decades to reach the 10,000 mark. It probably will not reach 20,000 till at least the 2040s.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:16 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 2nd, 8.00am.

There are five Regions visible today: four in the north and one in the south.

The large spots in Regions 2954 & 2955 are still the most obvious features on the disc. The spot in R2954 has shrunk leaving the spot in R2955 as being distinctly larger. Each of these Regions has only the one spot.

In the Northern-Central area, Region 2956 has one small and one spot. Similarly Region 2958 in the East has the same, but can be more easily seen.

Region 2947 in the South-East has two medium-sized spots and at least one tiny spot nearby. The seeing here today again limits me from seeing fine details.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:21 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 3rd, 8.05am.

Northern Regions 2954 & 2955 are now approaching the Western Limb and have accompanying faculae.

Southern Region has developed several spots overnight and they form a line of considerable length.

The Sun was again 'boiling' today, so I could not see fine detail.

An aside for bird lovers: They were a number of tiny birds (probably white-crested swallows) that were visible for many seconds as they flew at a great height in front of the Sun. At one stage, I counted six that were visible for about five seconds. I have never previously seen more than one bird flying across the Sun.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:29 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 4th, 8.20am.

New Region 2960 has appeared just in from the South-Eastern Limb. It already has three interesting looking spots.

Regions 2954 & 55 are close to the North-Western Limb and those two spots are accompanied by faculae.

The long line of spots that was designated as Region 2957, has now been broken up into Regions 2957, 59 & 61. Region 2957 has the largest spot on the disc.

Region 2958 is in the Northern-Central area according to the SDO image. However, I did not notice it or go back to look for it, as the seeing conditions are still bad today.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:20 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 5th, 8.10am.

Region 2954 has crossed the Western Limb and the formally large spot in Region 2955 is about to also cross.

In the Central area, Regions 2957 and 2961 form a long line of spots. Region 2957 is more distinctive, whereas Region 2961 forms a tighter line of much smaller spots.

Region 2960 in the South East has three spots, the largest of which is surrounded by a very large penumbra.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 6th, 7.50am.

A new, unnamed Region has appeared near the North-Eastern Limb. It has one small spot and faculae.

Regions 2957 has lots of fine detail and medium sized spots. Region 2961 with small/tiny spots was nearby yesterday, but I could not see it. However, the seeing was below average again today.

Region 2960 near the South-Eastern Limb also has fine detail as well as a very large spot surrounded by penumbra.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:33 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 7th, 8.25am.

R2960 in the South-East is today's standout Region. Between a huge spot and a medium-sized spot, there is a chain of three small spots.

Region 2957 in the South-West has two spots of note.

Region 2962 has been designated in the North-East, but is still only one small spot.

Seeing is again well-below par today, which I guess is to be expected given heat-wave conditions locally and flooding rains to the south.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:46 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 8th, 8.40am.

Region 2960 remains as the standout view with a very large spot and a wealth of detail between that and a medium-sized spot.

Region 2957 also has a medium-sized spot and several small spots.

Between the above two Regions is a line of small spots running in a North-South line. This will include Region 2963, but may also include a new Region. I await with interest as to how this will be classified.

The small/medium-sized spot in North-Eastern Region 2962 has been joined by a number of tiny spots.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:31 PM
Averton (P and C)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
March 8th, 8.40am.

Region 2960 remains as the standout view with a very large spot and a wealth of detail between that and a medium-sized spot.

Region 2957 also has a medium-sized spot and several small spots.

Between the above two Regions is a line of small spots running in a North-South line. This will include Region 2963, but may also include a new Region. I await with interest as to how this will be classified.

The small/medium-sized spot in North-Eastern Region 2962 has been joined by a number of tiny spots.

Hi Bob,

We too find the classification and numbering of new regions very interesting. Also the demotion of Active Regions is good to follow. We look each day at this site https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-synoptic-map

We find it particularly interesting, because as being a prediction, they often have the new regions labelled before the other sites and they also keep the demoted regions numbered in brackets. There is also a legend giving some detail to what you are seeing, like chances of a given region causing flares etc. Might be worth a look if you haven't already seen it.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:21 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 9th, 8.00am

Today, I put a towel over my head, and looked through my solar filter with my naked eye and spied the large spot in Region 2960. It is currently 'face-on' being near the center of the solar disc, so there will never be a better time to see it.

Besides the large spot, Region 2960 has a chain of small/tiny spots leading to a pair of small/medium spots of the far end. Though on the small size, they have a common penumbra.

As speculated yesterday, the new Region 2964 has been designated and yesterday's small spots are now medium sized. The nearby Region 2963 continues to only have small spots.

In the South-West, Region 2957 still has a medium-sized spot plus a large amount of faculae trailing off towards the Limb.

Northern Region 2962 has shrunk into just the one small spot.

However, on the North-Eastern Limb, an unnamed group of four sizable spots has appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averton View Post
Hi Bob,

We too find the classification and numbering of new regions very interesting... .
I did read that spots some ten degrees apart are normally, but not always designated as separate Regions. Thanks for your other info: I will check it out.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:44 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 10th, 8.25am.

In the North-East, newly named Region has a collection of six spots. Its definitely something to watch as it moves away from the Limb.

In the Northern-Central area, Region 2962 is still marked on the SDO image, but I could not see any sunspots. Yesterday, I could only see one small spot.

The formerly large spot in Region 2957 is approaching the Western Limb. It does not have as much faculae trialing off to the limb as yesterday.

Further from the Western Limb are Regions 2964 & 2966. At a casual glance, they seem to be really just the one Region, however, I notice that each region's chain of spots run in different directions; namely north-south and east-west. Yesterday, Region 2963 was in this area, but it has disappeared.

Last and most impressively, Region 2960 still has a very large spot plus a chain of spots heading off towards the East.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:52 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 11th, 8.45am.

Newly named Region 2965 has four medium sized spots plus some tiny spots. It already looks impressive and will only improve as it moves away from the North-Eastern Limb.

The large spot in Region 2960 is still very impressive.

That's all I will comment on today, as cloud prevented me from viewing the Sun properly.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:48 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
March 23rd. 8.05am.

Two small spots have appeared near the Eastern Limb, designated as Region 2811. Broad white areas can be seen nearby.

81mm ED Vixen, used for solar projection.
I'm enjoying your solar reports Bob. I am yet to observe the Sun as I don't want to risk my only telescope, a 10 inch dob. However I have a old pair of 20x80mm binoculars which I plan on using as my dedicated solar scope soon once I buy a tripod to mount it. I will be observing the Sun via projection. Cheers
Joe
Old 12-03-2022, 08:32 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 12th, 8.10am.

A new, small spot has appeared close to the North-Eastern Limb. It is currently unnamed.

The nearby Region 2965 has four medium spots and an array of smaller spots, which makes an impressive view.

Faculae has appeared next to the South-Eastern Limb, but no spots.

Southern Region 2960 with a large and a small spot is beginning its approach to the Western Limb.

Near the South-Western Limb, there are two medium-size spots, as well as smaller spots. This is Region 2964 and may include Region 2966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpickCrom View Post
I'm enjoying your solar reports Bob... Cheers
Joe
Thanks Joe. I have been doing reports for a year now. The anniversary of my first report is tomorrow and the Thread has over 30,000 views. When U get started, I would love to see U add some reports to the Thread. Good luck!

Last edited by Tropo-Bob; 13-03-2022 at 07:57 AM.
Old 13-03-2022, 08:09 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 13th, 7.50am.

New named Region 2967 has one small spot and faculae close to the North-Eastern Limb.

Further from the Limb, Region 2965 has twenty-four small to tiny spots in a long, long, majestic chain. It is a good exemplar of how most chains run in and East-West direction. I rarely see a chain running North-South.

Near the South-Eastern Limb, there is one tiny spot and faculae.

Region 2960 is on approach to the South-Western Limb. It still features a very-large spot and one medium-sized spot.

I saw a diffuse looking spot on the SW Limb, which is probably the remnants of Region 2964.
Old 15-03-2022, 07:40 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 15th, 7.30am.

Region 2965 is a really long chain of spots that span the Northern-Central area of the Solar Disc. This is the longest chain of spots that I have seen during the last twelve months.

Region 2967 in the North-Eastern quarter has the one medium sized spot that has grown from being a small spot when I last viewed it two days ago.

The large spot in Region 2960 is very close to the Western Limb. This has been such a large, long lasting spot that I have hopes that I may be able to see it return in two weeks or so.
Old 17-03-2022, 08:06 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 17th, 7.40am.

Region 2965 is on approach to the North-Western Limb and the Region has lost some of its luster. Nevertheless, there are three medium-sized spots, as well as small spots, which in total forms a long chain.

The solitary, medium/small-sized spot of Region 2967 is in the Northern-Central area.

There is some Faculae near the North-Eastern Limb, but I could not see any spots.
Old 19-03-2022, 09:38 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 19th, 9.20am (Finally, a break in the clouds!)

Region 2965 is approaching the North-Western Limb, but except for one medium-sized set of twin spots; the spots in the Region are fading away at a rate that can not be by Limb darkening alone.

Region 2965 has an unusually large amount of Faculae. However, what interested me is that the solar disc in this area seems darker than what normally be expected. It is darker than other areas near the solar limb. I have never heard on this type of event, but have now seen it with several different Regions.... . . Hmm, maybe it is well known and I am just showing my ignorance.

Regions 2967 still has just one small spot located in the Northern-Central area.
Old 20-03-2022, 08:56 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 20, 8.45am

I saw five Regions. Three of them have yet to be named. However, they all contained only small spots.

The one remaining spot in Region 2965 is very close to the North-Western Limb. There is lots of Faculae in the area.

New Region 2971 is the North-Eastern Quarter and only has one small spot.

On the North-Eastern Limb, there are a few tiny spots and a small amount of Faculae.

In the Southern Centre, there is one small spot. About half-way between it and the Limb, there is a compact trio of small spots.