Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 14-10-2018, 07:23 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Bill, I have tried it before. Sharpcap is honestly so much easier and quicker. From mount plonked down aligned roughly with a compass to within a couple seconds of the pole in probably 2 minutes tops.

Marc, yes, it is a quick detach system. Uses 2 Vixen-style finder bases , and a 10cm long finder-dovetail bar, with Baader finder rings. It's basically the same as these: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Tele...m/323327077395. I tried these, but the Baader finder rings are MUCH better - larger diameter shafts. So, I combined the Baader rings and the dovertail from the ones in the link, then used 2 vixen bases. Slide in, slide off. Not sure if the Baader rings are available separately - I got these from a complete Baader finder set-up.
Old 15-10-2018, 06:33 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post

Marc, yes, it is a quick detach system. Uses 2 Vixen-style finder bases , and a 10cm long finder-dovetail bar, with Baader finder rings. It's basically the same as these: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Tele...m/323327077395. I tried these, but the Baader finder rings are MUCH better - larger diameter shafts. So, I combined the Baader rings and the dovertail from the ones in the link, then used 2 vixen bases. Slide in, slide off. Not sure if the Baader rings are available separately - I got these from a complete Baader finder set-up.
I meant this one. It's not screwed directly into the refractor body. Something's in between.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (tak.jpg)
32.0 KB52 views
Old 15-10-2018, 07:01 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

That's called the Tak FQR-1 (Finder Quick Release). I have a spare black anodised one...I can add it to your bill
Old 17-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I've been pondering this post for a bit, and suspect the elephant in the room, i.e. self guiding (read SBIG) cameras, has been missed.

Certainly with early series cameras, guide star attenuation by the filter wheel has been problematic, but this has been long resolved by the guider now being integrated into the CFW. The beauty of the system is however, whatever perturbs the guide sensor, also affects the imaging sensor by exactly the same amount. I routinely do 30 minute subs with zero elongation and absolutely perfect star profiles.

It really is just plug and play, with fewer cables and zero concerns about differential flexure, plus the ability seamlessly add Adaptive Optics using the integrated guide chip.

On the odd occasion I have also gone back to using a separate guidescope only to discover how clumsy the system becomes. Self-guide is a no brainer IMHO.
Old 17-10-2018, 12:58 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I've been pondering this post for a bit, and suspect the elephant in the room, i.e. self guiding (read SBIG) cameras, has been missed.
Are you talking about guide chip on the same PCB plane as the imaging chip?
Old 17-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Are you talking about guide chip on the same PCB plane as the imaging chip?
Yes, that's the case with my STX16803, but the downside is it's behind the filter train. Newer cameras have the chip integrated with the filter-wheel, but ahead of the filters, plus have a built in optic to give the guide chip a wider field of view. The system still allows the guide and imaging CCD's to sit at the same focal plane in a similar manner to an OAG.
Old 17-10-2018, 01:30 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Yes, that's the case with my STX16803, but the downside is it's behind the filter train. Newer cameras have the chip integrated with the filter-wheel, but ahead of the filters, plus have a built in optic to give the guide chip a wider field of view. The system still allows the guide and imaging CCD's to sit at the same focal plane in a similar manner to an OAG.
Ok, that's what I thought but SBIG has a patent on this and locked out all other manufacturers from doing the same thing, so basically if you want a self-guiding system you have to buy SBIG.
Old 17-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Ok, that's what I thought but SBIG has a patent on this and locked out all other manufacturers from doing the same thing, so basically if you want a self-guiding system you have to buy SBIG.
Indeed.

Their two most closely held patents. That, and their CCD chamber temperature technology, which holds their chambers to within 1/100th of a degree to the set temperature (makes for excellent dark calibration).

Advertorial now ends