Old 15-09-2018, 10:40 AM
stefang (Stefan)

Night vision astronomy

Having had the opportunity to try out some Night Vision goggles and monocular units at this year's Texas Star Party, I have been getting some great results with a white phosphor unit I have acquired. Just wondering if there are any other members who are using night vision with their OTA's and NVG's in their rigs, to compare notes.stefan
Old 15-09-2018, 11:34 AM
glend (Glen)

There are people using EAA (Electronic Assisted Astronomy), which uses high sensitivity video cameras and stacking frames with software like Autostakert, Sharpcap, etc.which probably give better resolution than typical night vision equipment.
Old 15-09-2018, 10:57 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I sometimes use my really old solid state NV tube on the 10" F4 for visual. Totally ruins my night vision from the green but it's a bit of fun.
Old 16-09-2018, 02:22 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Not to hijack the thread but to add a parallel ( for people who know about this stuff )
Been helping some people finding faults in circuit boards by using controlled current feeds and looking for hot spots. One is using a laser thermometer
but it is crude and requires constant moving.

I know a lot of places now use thermal imaging to do this, and the costs are coming down, but it is still horrendous.
I thought that maybe using something like the Astronomik IR pass filters with a scope and webcam etc could replicate them enough to see general areas, but it all comes a cropper when you look at the general IR sensitivity of std astro optimised cameras ( even with the IR filters removed ) in the lower freq.

Has anyone tried this??? know of any cheap cameras with good QE in the IR regions???

Andrew
Old 18-09-2018, 08:30 AM
stefang (Stefan)

My question related to Night Vision astronomy, not video cameras. Being a regular poster on the EAA forum on cloudy nights, I'm merely reaching out to my local community to compare notes.