Old 31-01-2013, 08:49 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

2 Cameras !

I think I posted earlier about my camera woes. Bought a new SONY A77 before Xmas then drowned it in a downpour. Insurance paid out so I got another and a new lens for a bit extra, all good so far.

I then asked if it was possible to buy the old camera, it was still working in a limited fashion, just two buttons non functional and the rear screen not working. Every thing else seemed to be ok although that could change.
They were happy for me to do so, for $100 !! The original retail price was $1850 !! And they said keep the old lens, I'll pull that to bits, internal damage is bad but I can possibly use the mount bayonet.

So I now have a dedicated 24 mega pixel low noise high ISO DSLR which can be modified to suit my astro requirements. If it eventually fails I can go back to the original idea of one camera, many uses.
It has an HDMI output I may be able to tap into for focus testing but my new optical train OTA setup is focus fixed so I can use the new A77 to check if necessary then swap them.

Should all be fun
Old 31-01-2013, 02:22 PM
gregbradley

Nice one.

Those Sony 24mp Exmor sensors are hot stuff.

Greg.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Was using the old A77 last night to image. It is actually easier (!!) to acheive focus through the EVF than the rear screen.. All you do is watch for the screen pixels to go small and sharp, almost disappear, couple of test pix ad a wee bit of refinement and it's all good.
What I DO have to do is make a pier extension to raise the smaller diameter scope above the top of the wall. At present I cannot get down to the ecliptic plane so no planets. It was not an issue with the 10" mounted with it's larger frame and mount distance to optical axis. I need about 200-250mm. I'd like an APO to get round the CA I'm getting at present but an APO is off the plans for the time being. ($$$$?). I'm watching out for a cheapish long focal length achro now around 70-80 mm f10+. That will minimise CA and give me a higher mag for the time being. I'm almost tempted to try and poke the camera through the little 60mm f12 just to see what happens. Plenty of ISO range to cope with the reduced aperture and the PHD is doing a fine dang job on the guiding.

Oh the joys of experimenting in DIY....