Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-07-2021, 12:29 PM
godina06 (Tom)

Feather Touch focuser issue

Hi all,

I have just received my newly purchased Feather Touch focuser. Everyone around the world advised that a FT focuser should be buttery smooth however my one is the opposite. It’s like I can feel the teeth of the gears when I focus. This vibration will be significant under high power observation.

Also, the worst part is that when I turn the focusing knob slightly clockwise and let go, the focusing knob will then turn back anti-clockwisely. I just took a short video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ak3KznWCqXw?feature=share

Do you have similar problems with your FT focuser?

Thanks
Tom
Old 30-07-2021, 01:27 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Hi Tom,
I have three Feathertouch focusers here, none exhibit the issue yours does.
Starlight Instruments seem to be having some issues at the moment, the owner Jon Joseph passed away a few months ago and then they dispensed with the services of Wayne Schroeder, they now have a backlog on all fronts ......

The issue will need to be rectified under their warranty but I don't think the cover return postage.....
Old 08-12-2021, 05:22 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Hi Tom, any update on your issue?
I'm looking to upgrade focuser myself and have been bitten by customer service already even before spending a cent.

Cheers, Rod.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:40 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-AR127 View Post
Hi Tom, any update on your issue?
I'm looking to upgrade focuser myself and have been bitten by customer service already even before spending a cent.

Cheers, Rod.
There is MoonLite as an alternative.

On the subject of Starlight Instruments something I read it a bit disturbing but I may be interpreting it wrong ... hope it doesn't apply to new purchased focuser

" Returns are rare, but when one does occur the item must be retested. For this reason, we charge a 15% restocking and retesting fee on all returned items. "
Old 10-12-2021, 01:21 PM
Sitt (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
There is MoonLite as an alternative.

On the subject of Starlight Instruments something I read it a bit disturbing but I may be interpreting it wrong ... hope it doesn't apply to new purchased focuser

" Returns are rare, but when one does occur the item must be retested. For this reason, we charge a 15% restocking and retesting fee on all returned items. "
Most companies charge a restocking fee for returned items, nothing new there. However, returns are completely different to warranty claims so the 15% wouldn't apply if that's what you were getting at.

Last edited by Sitt; 10-12-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:56 PM
gregbradley

These focuser a locking screw. Check if yours is too tight.

Greg.
Old 18-12-2021, 12:45 PM
godina06 (Tom)

Hi all, just a quick update:

I purchased this focuser from cameraconcepts.com. After I noticed the issue on the focuser I contacted Cameraconcepts and received the following response: “ Starlight instruments tells us this is normal operating conditions with this focuser. I would urge you to contact them in order to validate what I am telling you. They told us this when we sent it to them for normal maintenance after we bought it. You can, of course, return it to us for a refund but I would first suggest you speak with Starlight to confirm that I am speaking the truth.”

Cameraconcepts then spoke with the owner of Starlight Instruments about this problem and Starlight Instruments would very much like to take care of the issue. Cameraconcepts advised me about the “inside story": previously a gentleman from Starlight was in charge of operations and he recently left the company without notice, in disarray, and leaving a trail of highly questionable practices. (It appears that his method of taking care of customer service issues was to deny and obfuscate rather than take care of problems).

Starlight is very sorry for the behaviour of my focuser and would like to see to it that my problem is properly taken care of. They believe that there is no reason why this focuser should behave any differently from any other Feathertouch focuser that they have ever made. Cameraconcepts arranged to have an RMA document produced so that I can return the focuser to Starlight and they promise to take care of the issue in a timely manner.

Starlight advised that The focuser I purchased is an economy model that was manufactured at the request of Lunt Solar Systems. It is a single speed focuser that is an upgrade on one of their models. It was something that was designed for the 2017 solar eclipse. Lunt wanted a lower cost option for their scopes. This does not have the pinion assembly that the rest of the Starlight focusers have.

Starlight repaired my focuser at no cost to me and it is much smoother than it was when I sent it to Starlight. However, it is still not as smooth as the 1.25” dual speed focuser that my friend has.

Overall, I am very happy with Starlights customer service and their quick response. I will continue to recommend FT focuser to my friends. In fact, i just purchased a new telescope with a buttery smooth 2.5” FT focuser fitted and I am extremely happy about it.

Last edited by godina06; 18-12-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 20-12-2021, 02:09 AM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Well that is good news. You got looked after and the quality was right there in your new setup.
Old 21-12-2021, 06:22 AM
gregbradley

That was a good response from FT which is encouraging.

I need them to machine a new bush to connect their electronic focuser to my refractor. They were a little slow to respond to emails but they did and it makes more sense now. They were just going through a tough time.

Every FT focuser I have had has been gorgeous. So are AP focusers.

Greg.