ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-08-2009, 10:51 PM
shlunko

Getting a new Telscope

Hi,
This is my first thread thingy (having just created an account yesterday) so I'm not entierly sure if I will clicked the right buttons or not and what will be the final result.
Anyways, I currently have 2 relatively small reflectors (114mm and 130mm and 1 quite old refractor (60 mm) and I was thinking about getting either an 8" or a 10" (If my wallet will be big enough) new Dobsonian, probably Sky Watcher brand). I was curious if anyone knows a bit about them if you could help me out a bit.
If anyone knows the answers to any of these it would be much appreciated.
.What magnitude would be visible through either the 8" or 10"?
.What sort of quality would be given for astrophotography?
.How long would a planet such as Jupiter stay in the field of view in the eye piece?
.If a CCD webcam was attached would it pick up any decent quality?
.Would it be worth getting a Dobsonian that doesn't have a motor drive in it to so it is used manually?
.What sort of difficulty is there in locating Nebulae, Galaxies, stars etc. with a Dobsonian of 8 or 10"?

It is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 14-08-2009, 07:42 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi shlunko.

Yes you have pressed all the right keys and buttons! Welcome.

Let me start the ball rolling with a few answers:-

If you search back through threads in the last several months, you'll find discussions around reflecting scopes, sizes, transport, handling, use for astrophotography.

If your wallet cannot extend to a new scope, do look at the second hand scopes on offer on IceTrade Classifieds - they have been some seeming bargains. Being in Melbourne, you are likely to be able to go and look at and test before you buy.

I cannot remember magnitudes, but if you look at the Bintel site and probably the Andrews site, the specifications are usually given, including limiting magnitutes.

Lots of people are very happy pushing around a reflector on a dobsonian mount. It is very intuitive and, if the bearings are any good, quite easy to do.

Locating objects in an 8" or 10" reflector on dobsonian - you can invest a further approx $1,000 in an Argo Navis pointing computer and it becomes a breeze and little knowledge of the sky or charts is needed. Without that, it depends on how effectively you can use the supplied finderscope (which works quite well when properly aligned), or you fit a "red dot" finder such as a telrad. Another approach is to use a laser pointer, mounted on and aligned with the scope, to point the scope at the desired object.

How quickly an object moves through the field of view depends, of course, on the selction of eyepiece. In general, at around the 20-30mm eyepiece range, the movement is slow. At 10mm and below, it starts to become noticeable. In the rare conditions that you might be down around 3mm equivalent (a barlowed eyepiece looking at Jupiter, Saturn, the Moon), then we are talking the order of 10-15 seconds across the FOV. No problem for a single observer, but it can be a challenge if you are trying to show less experienced people. By the time they get settled in front of the eyepiece, the object may be marching out of the FOV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlunko View Post
Hi,
This is my first thread thingy (having just created an account yesterday) so I'm not entierly sure if I will clicked the right buttons or not and what will be the final result.
Anyways, I currently have 2 relatively small reflectors (114mm and 130mm and 1 quite old refractor (60 mm) and I was thinking about getting either an 8" or a 10" (If my wallet will be big enough) new Dobsonian, probably Sky Watcher brand). I was curious if anyone knows a bit about them if you could help me out a bit.
If anyone knows the answers to any of these it would be much appreciated.
.What magnitude would be visible through either the 8" or 10"?
.What sort of quality would be given for astrophotography?
.How long would a planet such as Jupiter stay in the field of view in the eye piece?
.If a CCD webcam was attached would it pick up any decent quality?
.Would it be worth getting a Dobsonian that doesn't have a motor drive in it to so it is used manually?
.What sort of difficulty is there in locating Nebulae, Galaxies, stars etc. with a Dobsonian of 8 or 10"?

It is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 14-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Robh (Rob)

Shlunko,

How long will a planet stay in the EP?
As Eric stated, it will depend on the specs of the EP, its apparent FOV and focal length. An object on the Celestial Equator could take 4 minutes to drift across the eyepiece at 60x but only 1 minute at 200x.
Limiting magnitudes are often theoretical and don't allow for varying skyglow and transparency. A practical estimate for your 130mm (roughly 5 inch) reflector would be about magnitude 11.5. An 8 inch scope will go down to mag 12.5 and a 10 inch scope down to mag 13.

Regards, Rob

Last edited by Robh; 14-08-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 14-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Barrykgerdes

Hi
Something that is worth considering when buying a telescope is where you will be using it. If you have a good dark location away from city lights get a nice biggest aperture scope you can afford probably an 8" or 10" DOB. If you want to take photos however you will need something on an equatorial mount.

If you live in a light polluted area get something that is portable and easy to set up. I can see more from a dark location with an ETX125 (5") than I can see from my home with a 12" LX200 in a domed observatory.

For photography my son has the ETX and piggybacks his Canon 1000D on it in equatorial mode and has taken some excellent wide field photos with only three months experience.

Web cameras work quite well for planets on most scopes especially with suitable stacking programs. Some of the web cams will work OK on bright objects using 1 or 2 barlows stacked to give higher magnification.

Incidently the FOV of a web cam will be about the same as seen through a 6mm plossl eyepiece on any scope so quite good detailed pics are possible of the moon and Jupiter, Mars when it is close and even Saturn.

Barry
Old 14-08-2009, 01:15 PM
astro744

A few answers to your questions:

A 6" can typically detect Quasar 3C 273 at 13.7 magnitude at the limit of its capability. Pluto is in approx. the same magnitude and can be detected.

The same objects are relatively 'easy' in a 10" which can typically detect 15 magnitude.

However the sky conditions play a big part as does the magnification used, the quality of the instrument and the experience of the observer.

Exceptional astrophotos can be made with an 80mm refractor so an 8" or 10" Newtonian can give some nice photos but a very stable mount is required. If astrophotography is your goal, put your money towards a bigger (and expensive) mount and use an ED80 refractor or perhaps a 6" f5 Newt to keep the tube weight down.

A non-driven Dob is not really suitable for astrophotgraphy unless you are doing low power video capture of the Moon for example.

Yes you can add an Argo Navis for navigation but this is like adding a GPS to your car. A nice accesory but you can get from A-B with a Gregorys map (see also below). Get your self Sky Atlas 2000 Version 2 Deluxe plus the Sky Atlas Companion that lists all the objects and their characteristics (a must) and you will never look back. Then study the atlas on cloudy nights and learn the different parts of the sky. This will prepare you for clear skies. Use Stellarium desktop planetarium too to show you what is supposed to be up at a given hour.

You need to learn how to star hop which is like learning how to get from point A to point B on your street map. Scale is the other thing you need to learn, ie. when looking at a map, just how much sky is covered by a particular part of the map.

I would like to add that out of all the telescope computers out there, the Argo Navis is the one to get since its database is very extensive and you can use it concurrently with your star atlas since it has map number references for most popular start atlasses produced. It can also show you only objects visible in your telescope so that you don't end up trying to find a galaxy for example in Sky Atlas that may be magnitude 15. For the record I don't have or want a GPS in my car but may get an Argo for my 'scope one day.

One idea for an observing session is to pick a page in your atlas (obviously it has to be up that evening) and see how many objects you can find on the map. Use the Sky Atlas Companion to see if any object is too faint and move onto the next one. This keeps you observing in one particular part of the sky and you don't end up looking at the usual favourites all the time.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
Old 14-08-2009, 02:22 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Welcome to IIS Shlunko,

Any and all questions welcome here!

Pretty much all has been answered by others in this thread, but I will just add that for visual observing the Skywatcher 8" newt. on a GEM mounting (what I have) is very easy to use, and I am still amazed by what I can see through it!

Two additions that I would recomend purchacing or downloading would be a 1:1 finder such as a Telrad or other red dot finder and a good set of star charts (StaryNight, Stellarium at http://www.stellarium.org/ and free, among others) They make life so much easier.

enjoy
Old 14-08-2009, 10:38 PM
shlunko

Thank you to all who answered my questions, it is very much appreciated and has helped me tremendously!
My very best regards to all!!
Old 15-08-2009, 12:54 AM
hulloleeds

GSO dob's are on the whole, cheaper than the skywatcher ones and reputedly, of similar, if not better quality.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

(GSO as in Guan Sheng)
Old 20-08-2009, 09:22 PM
seanliddelow (Sean)
Astro-Addict

My 12 inch Skywatcher Dobsinson was bought for $1199