Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2021, 08:41 PM
marco (Marco Lorenzi)

Where to buy plywood boxes? Help!

Hi all, I post here a request of help even if I am not sure if this is the right place, so sorry in advance if I got the wrong sub-forum.

I need to relocate and deliver overseas some equipment I have installed in Coonabarabran (NSW) (mostly mount and OTA), and I have been looking for some custom sized wooden boxed to be made and delivered on site.
As I live overseas myself, I have being trying to contact several companies in NSW and Victoria through their online webpage but got very few replies and all negative.
I need in total 4 boxes all with a pallet base, sizes around 60 to 80 cm per side, with the largest box (150x80x80 cm) conforming to the international standard for solid wood packaging as it is going to Europe.
The largest box for the OTA also needs internal paddings (or some 3 cm polystyrene foam just cut to fit the inside).

I am quite exhausted as it is not easy to get even replies, does anyone here have some suggestions on who could help me?

Thank you for any help!
Clear skies
Marco

Last edited by marco; 06-10-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Marco,

Is it possible for someone to home build these boxes? The International Standard may be hard to comply with for a home builder - or do you know a way of compliance?
I am building a garden shed at present, but am sure that this task could be within my capabilities.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:32 PM
glend (Glen)

I suggest you contact a freight company that handles overseas shipments. Most firms that ship say household goods, furniture, etc build plywood shipping boxes to certain sizes to suit the goods. Of course they will want to supply a bundled service, packaging, transit, clearance, etc.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:47 AM
marco (Marco Lorenzi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Is it possible for someone to home build these boxes? The International Standard may be hard to comply with for a home builder - or do you know a way of compliance?
Yes it is possible to DIY them and I would probably go for it if I would live downunder, however one would need a minimum of hardware.
For the box being delivered by air it would be very complicated though, as for large boxes many countries requires a certificate that the box material is treated against pests, which is something one cannot do privately..
Anyway in my condition (overseas) a DIY is not really a possible road to follow, I am hoping more like some reliable contacts of companies somebody used in the past..

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I suggest you contact a freight company that handles overseas shipments. Most firms that ship say household goods, furniture, etc build plywood shipping boxes to certain sizes to suit the goods. Of course they will want to supply a bundled service, packaging, transit, clearance, etc.
I will also try that as in any case I will need to deliver overseas (at least one box), but not that easy as shipping companies do not go in the middle of nowhere to collect goods but are expecting you bring them to their facility.. But I will try to look for some, thanks in any case!

Any other suggestion is welcome!
Marco
Old 06-10-2021, 04:15 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

https://www.ubeeco.com.au/products/c...-wooden-boxes/
Old 06-10-2021, 04:53 PM
marco (Marco Lorenzi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
One of the several companies I contacted, sent two mails to them (an enquiry and a reminder), didn't get a reply to any of the two..
Do you have a name of somebody working there I could write directly?

Thanks
Marco
Old 06-10-2021, 05:47 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Unfortunately that was just a blind google search on my part. Perhaps they aren't working due COVID restrictions in NSW?
Old 08-10-2021, 09:54 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

For what it is worth I spoke to family member who designed pallets. He suggested you look at composite boxes. A lot of companies have gone out of plywood for export pallets due to the onerous certification required. Seems a shame but that is how it is.