Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 03-10-2021, 02:00 PM
Goraax (Goran)

Celestron AVX bearing replacement?

I recently replaced my RA stock bearing with a tapered one, and I replaced all the stock grease with superlube. The process went well without any issues.

The RA is much more loose now, and a lot easier to balance properly. The DEC seems a bit better, but it's hard to tell.

I had a go at guiding last night, and results seem about the same as before, if not worse. There were a few short moments where I'd get 0.50" RA error, but mostly it was over 1.00" - compared to my previous average of 0.80".

I didn't manage to get a photo, but the RA graph was just a consistent zig zag. I tried RA aggressiveness at a few different levels between 25% and 70%, and no luck with any.

I read on some forum that it's possible the worm gear is pressing on the RA shaft too tightly, or the motor and drive gears are pressed too tight.

Has anyone got experience with this?
Old 06-10-2021, 08:50 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Within this site, a user had tuned-up their CG5-GT, the predecessor to the AVX...

http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/

They had issues afterwards, too. They ended up resetting the computerised portion of the mount, then all was well.

In addition, the AVX is considered too complicated for the average user to disassemble for tuning. But then, as a skilled DIYer, I would perhaps have a bit more success, depending.

The worms, both RA and DEC, should be fully adjustable, and for accurately meshing with their worm-gears; not too tightly, nor too loosely, just right rather.