Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 02:30 PM
RussellStafford

Question Best time to shoot?

Hi all,

This is my first post in this group.. what a wonderful resource it is!

First off, I apologize for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked on here time and time again, but I can't seem to find the answer.

I live in the USA but am in Sydney for the next month and looking to get out and do some astrophotography tomorrow night. I have done it once before in the states and right around midnight was the best time to capture the milky way. Is that the same in the southern hemisphere?

I'll be heading up to Buckitty tomorrow night (Sept 5th).. I've heard it's a pretty good spot!

Thank you all.
RS
http://www.staffordmediastudios.com
Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

When the band of the Milky Way is visible is down to the time of year. At the moment I think around 9pm would be the best time as the centre of the Milky Way will be fairly high in the western sky. Of course it would be higher earlier but the sky would also be brighter so it's a balance.
Good luck
Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM
naskies (Dave)

It depends upon what you want to capture. The central bulge of the Milky Way (Scorpius and Sagittarius constellations) transits very early in the evenings at the moment - literally right after astronomical twilight (just before 7 pm).

If you want to capture a night scape (with foreground terrestrial objects) then you may want to wait a few hours for it to set lower in the sky.

If you're looking to shoot the Orion half of the Milky Way, then you'll need to wait until a few hours before dawn for it to rise.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 PM
RussellStafford

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.