Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #41  
Old 23-05-2021, 09:45 AM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 23,249
We're going to be in huge trouble once they start chewing through the toilet rolls at the supermarkets.

I suggest you stockpile now and bait your stash...

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 24-05-2021, 07:51 PM
glend (Glen)
Registered User

glend is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Macquarie
Posts: 6,434
Mouse Tracker Online

Here is a link to the Mouse Tracker:

https://www.feralscan.org.au/mousealert/map.aspx

They have a novel way of counting the mice, a standard card with a grid, soaked in edible oil, left over night the chewed areas indicate the relative infestation.

Get involved
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 25-05-2021, 07:52 AM
Steffen's Avatar
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Steffen is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,905
I thought the standard way of counting mice was counting the legs and dividing by four?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 25-05-2021, 12:48 PM
glend (Glen)
Registered User

glend is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Macquarie
Posts: 6,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
I thought the standard way of counting mice was counting the legs and dividing by four?
I guess the feralscan people cannot be everywhere to do the counting, so approximation would have to do for census numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 25-05-2021, 02:16 PM
UniPol's Avatar
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

UniPol is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Blackheath, NSW
Posts: 1,539
I'm covered, my little ginger will take care of them
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mighty Cat.jpg)
199.7 KB16 views
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 25-05-2021, 02:40 PM
MortonH's Avatar
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

MortonH is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,340
Has anyone reported any mouse-related damage to astro gear yet?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 25-05-2021, 03:24 PM
mura_gadi's Avatar
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

mura_gadi is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Canberra
Posts: 136
Does using my 8" mirror I am working on as a loo count?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 25-05-2021, 03:28 PM
MortonH's Avatar
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

MortonH is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Does using my 8" mirror I am working on as a loo count?
Yep!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 26-05-2021, 07:57 AM
glend (Glen)
Registered User

glend is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Macquarie
Posts: 6,434
Mice start fire destroying home in NSW

On the TV news this morning was a report of a house in rural NSW that was destroyed by fire overnight. The fire is being blamed on mice! The conjecture is that the mice chewed through the electrical wiring in the ceiling, causing a short which caused the fire.
Obviously not equipped with mice safety switches. The particular mouse that completed the circuit must have been momentarily surprised.

Now this brings me to that great Aussie back verandah accessory, the Bug Zapper. We need a Mouse Zapper! This electrocution device could be place in areas of infestation, at ground level, potentially baited to draw them near. When they walk over the grid, Zap.
You would want to keep the cat away from it.
What other devices can we invent to dispatch the rodents?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 26-05-2021, 08:07 AM
RB's Avatar
RB (Andrew)
Moderator

RB is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 23,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
On the TV news this morning was a report of a house in rural NSW that was destroyed by fire overnight. The fire is being blamed on mice! The conjecture is that the mice chewed through the electrical wiring in the ceiling, causing a short which caused the fire.
Obviously not equipped with mice safety switches. The particular mouse that completed the circuit must have been momentarily surprised.

Now this brings me to that great Aussie back verandah accessory, the Bug Zapper. We need a Mouse Zapper! This electrocution device could be place in areas of infestation, at ground level, potentially baited to draw them near. When they walk over the grid, Zap.
You would want to keep the cat away from it.
What other devices can we invent to dispatch the rodents?
These electric traps already exist Glen.

I use them around the house and they're very very effective.
Expensive, but they work so much better than any other trap I've tried.
Plus no poison needed and so easy to reset.


RB
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (s-l1600.jpg)
53.5 KB37 views
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 27-05-2021, 11:45 PM
glend (Glen)
Registered User

glend is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Macquarie
Posts: 6,434
As if Covid worries were not bad enough, Mice give pub owner deadly infection.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...484dab9399c84d
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 02:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement