Old 09-07-2013, 05:48 PM
TheAstroGuy (Shane Ross)
Love My Pets

RC 10" and CCD with focuser question

Hi guys,

Thinking of purchasing a GSO 10" RC.
My question is, all my current scopes have 2" focusers and I've never upgraded them so my images always need to be cropped as the FOV on the edges are always obscured. The reason being is that I am using an Atik 11000 full frame CCD .I am told the GSO 10" has 3" focuser but steps down to standard 2" eyepiece. Will this just land me in the same boat ? Never seen these scopes up close so I don't wanna buy one and find out the 3" to 2" step down still obscures the frame on the corners.

If the focuser does allow for my full frame CCD will I need an adapter for my camera as well?

Thanks for any input in advance.

Kind Regards
Shane
Old 09-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I'll be brief.

The GSO focusers have slop and are no good for imaging.

Order it without a focuser.

Get a moonlight or Feather-touch instead.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:16 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I'm still a newbie with mine and the focuser change, but agree. Even in the short time I've used the Moonlite focuser, it's far better than the stock version.

I've got some new stuff that I'm still sorting out (FF and OAG) to go with the Moonlite focuser, but I'm confident of being able to use all of the 6D's frame for imaging.

While I think I could have achieved full use of the 6D with the stock focuser, the replacement and associated attachments should prove a superior (and ultimately less frustrating) arrangement.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:30 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

+1 for Moonlite on the GSO RC10

I have this setup - and can confirm upgrade the focuser the stock unit is no use for AP. The Moonlite I use has has a 2.5" draw tube so you should not have any issues getting a full frame sensor illuminated unless you intend to use an FR. You will most likely need a flattener for full frame. Have a look at Telescope Service

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...orrectors.html

for these - and I think Andrews now has GSO parts for the RC but I do not know if they will suit your needs.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Even better, get the Moonlite with the high res stepper motor.... you will not regret it....
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Even better, get the Moonlite with the high res stepper motor.... you will not regret it....
+1 from me as well
Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 PM
TheAstroGuy (Shane Ross)
Love My Pets

Thanks for the help gents, much appreciated. So the new " upgraded focusers that come standard are still average is what the consensus is?

I had a moonlite once on a Newtonian and loved it my only concern is if it's 2.5" am I doing myself out of half and inch and if I went 3" would I still illuminate the full frame with a FR?

It seems such a waste to spend 2K ++ and then throw away a focuser .
But then in the world of astrophotography theres always something out there that will make your gear minutely better and we are just perfectionists always unhappy with slight imperfections. I am about to spend an extra 500-700 bucks just so I don't need to crop a photo I tiny bit ?? ....nuts