Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-06-2021, 10:34 AM
TrevorW

Who are the moderators :)

I recently had a post removed for no apparent reason and would like to contact a moderator to find out why. My post was not about politics it was asking a question if anyone else had been affected by recent changes on how they do business at a Govt Dept, it was posted under the General Chat section which has been used for sometime for threads that are not specifically astronomically related- thank you
Old 23-06-2021, 10:57 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

15 year member and after 7000 posts you're still wondering how to pm a mod?
Old 23-06-2021, 11:32 AM
raymo

I'm a 10yr member with well over 5,000, and have no idea of how to contact
a moderator either. As far as I am concerned they are ethereal beings
somewhere out there in the cosmos.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 23-06-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: more text
Old 23-06-2021, 11:41 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I'm a 10yr member with well over 5,000, and have no idea of how to contact
a moderator either. As far as I am concerned they are ethereal beings
raymo

All good. I thought Trevor maybe needed another coffee. That's all.
Old 23-06-2021, 11:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I remember your thread and there was a hint that it was going to go downhill so to save you the embarrassing situation of being the author of a thread that went downhill it was moved... but that should be obvious.

Usually the mod who is on duty is shown down the bottom somewhere but I could not see any today but take it from someone with some experience ..if a mod wants to or needs to act on your thread dont make it hard for them as often I expect they are simply responding to some complaint...its not worth any worry...theirs is a thankless job and it is best we try and understand how it must be for them and try not to be one of the problems they need to deal with.

Anyways in respect of the problem you first posted about , more or less the same advice, dont let it worry you, inconvenient sure but it is what it is...seeing your local member could be seen as over the top...and nothing will change that is what you must remember..you just feel unhappy is all...I dont want to see you upsetting yourself over stuff that does not really matter that much...look on all that is good in the world, Centerlink and this site and watch some funny cat videos...
Alex

Alex
Old 23-06-2021, 12:07 PM
TrevorW

Alex all good I was just pondering the motive behind the move(delete) and would have liked to have known why, that is all, thanks
Old 23-06-2021, 12:20 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Alex all good I was just pondering the motive behind the move(delete) and would have liked to have known why, that is all, thanks
You are welcome but dont forget my message not to let a damn thing upset you...when you master this you feel that you have real power in your hands..because now you really do.

But I have to go as this real estate agent who I asked to ring back at 10am has not done so and I need to spend some time planning my revenge.

Alex
Old 23-06-2021, 01:01 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
You are welcome but dont forget my message not to let a damn thing upset you...when you master this you feel that you have real power in your hands..because now you really do.

But I have to go as this real estate agent who I asked to ring back at 10am has not done so and I need to spend some time planning my revenge.

Alex
Tell him not to worry and that you gave the listing to someone else. That should be sufficient.

Best
JA
Old 23-06-2021, 01:40 PM
alpal

Quote:
I recently had a post removed for no apparent reason and would like to contact a moderator to find out why. My post was not about politics it was asking a question if anyone else had been affected by recent changes on how they do business at a Govt Dept, it was posted under the General Chat section which has been used for sometime for threads that are not specifically astronomically related- thank you

Good question.
I can't find a list of mods anywhere.
There is only a contact page here:
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/contactus.html
Old 23-06-2021, 01:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Tell him not to worry and that you gave the listing to someone else. That should be sufficient.

Best
JA
I rang about buying a shop.

I said that I will buy it but tell me the exact rent and outgoings..and apparently it is rented....And to think you take a sales call on a property you have listed and you cant advice the rent and the outgoings..heck you should know that without even looking it up..whats wrong with this guy?

That is pretty clear... "I will buy it"...not I want to look etc ..now the reason I can be so certain even without looking at it or knowing more is...I went to the bank before I collapsed on Monday and asked about term deposit..wait for it .2 % ...so I saw this shop on the net and figured I only needed $15 a week or something insignificant to match the bank return...so I know these shops are around $90 per week so heck even with trouble keeping the current tenant or getting a new tenant I just offer it at $40 a week and I am way ahead and probably no problem getting it let...if it rents at $90 I am laughing...anyways at what the bank pays you could risk having it empty and I expect it will go up...just have it there to stop at and make a cuppa tea while shopping...its cheap.

He still has not rung...Not sure what to do but alienating anyone is never a good idea...but it does seem like a very good deal and I just wish he would ring...my bet is he just thinks I am a spy from another agency...but maybe I should open my own agency if this guy is my competition...

Thanks for your input..

Alex
Old 23-06-2021, 01:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Good question.
I can't find a list of mods anywhere.
There is only a contact page here:
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/contactus.html
I hope they are ok and not all taken sick.
Alex
Old 23-06-2021, 03:50 PM
JA

Hi Guys, whilst absolutely right there is no list of moderators per se, their titles are by default below their user names in posts, unless they've purposely changed them. Over and above that, if you use the REPORT POST function - the little RED box with the WHITE X at the top right hand corner of all posts you can compose a short message, presumably to the moderation team, about that post.

Best
JA
Old 23-06-2021, 04:26 PM
DarkArts

Moderator usernames appear in purple in their posts (though this can be configured) and usually have the description "Moderator" below it - if not, hover your mouse over their username and a pop-up box will say "Moderator". Similarly, Administrator names appear in red, etc.

Moderators that I know of are:
- RB (Andrew)
- h0ughy (David)
- sheeny (Al)

You can tell if a Moderator is on-line from the Currently Active Users list at the bottom of the forum front page, or the Who's Online page accessible via the Quick Links menu.
Old 23-06-2021, 04:53 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

moderators are listed bottom right of each sub-forum page
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture.JPG)
36.2 KB38 views
Old 23-06-2021, 05:04 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
You can tell if a Moderator is on-line from the Currently Active Users list at the bottom of the forum front page, or the Who's Online page accessible via the Quick Links menu.
Unless they have chosen not to display it when on line.
Old 23-06-2021, 11:02 PM
Constant (David)

Quote:
My bad, I mentioned Chairman Dan generally things disappear when the $40million mystery phone call is referenced.
My bad, sorry, however the suppression of free speech and or freedom of speech is always bad.
My bad, apologies Trevor.
Old 24-06-2021, 06:35 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Sorry Trevor but I need to end my story..the agent rang back, so did the bank and they wont lend me any money.
Interestingly, and this needs confirmation, the rates, electricity and body corporate fees are apparently _$80 per week and the rent is $100 ...I wonder if such a ratio of income and outgoings exist generally...seems either the council or the body corporate do rather well from others capital.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 24-06-2021 at 06:46 AM.
Old 24-06-2021, 07:31 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant View Post
My bad, sorry, however the suppression of free speech and or freedom of speech is always bad.
Sorry David IIS does not guarantee you your 'Freedom of Speech".
When a person signs up to IIS they agree to abide by the TOS.
The IIS Terms Of Service state clearly what topics to avoid, which includes posts like yours that divert the original thread topic into areas that are expressly outlined in the TOS as topics to avoid.
Unfortunately once a thread goes off-topic in such a way it then becomes problematic and usually gets locked or moved to the moderator's section for further discussion before a final decision is made.

As to "Freedom of Speech on IIS", here is a direct quote by Mike Salway (Iceman) - the owner of this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Unfortunately it's not that simple, or as black and white as that.

For some people, they may want to defend their right to "freedom of speech" all the way to court, and may choose to run a forum that way.

Myself, I do not.

I don't wish to place myself, my house, my family at any risk of exposure to stand up for someone else's 'freedom of speech'. That's why the TOS is there as it is - it means we avoid these discussions and I can sleep at night.

Anyone is welcome to start their own forum or shout from the rooftops if they believe so strongly in it.
I've even seen people do that - start a forum so they can have the "freedom of speech" that was so rudely robbed of them here at IceInSpace (yes, I'm being sarcastic ). Let me tell you how that turned out - they had to introduce rules after a while, too.

Nothing is ever as black and white as you want it to be.
This is the link to that thread if you'd like to read it for yourself.
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...77&postcount=6

In that particular thread, the topic was about 'Vendor Bashing' and the question came up about "Freedom of Speech" to which Mike Salway points out that IIS does guarantee members any such thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
Moderator usernames appear in purple in their posts (though this can be configured) and usually have the description "Moderator" below it - if not, hover your mouse over their username and a pop-up box will say "Moderator". Similarly, Administrator names appear in red, etc.

Moderators that I know of are:
- RB (Andrew)
- h0ughy (David)
- sheeny (Al)
As DarkArts states in his post, these are the moderators on IIS.

And I can assure raymo that we're not ethereal beings

We are online daily, having to give our time to read most of the threads and posts and make desicions based on what Mike Salway wants for his Forum.
We have families, a job and daily lives just like everyone else.
Unfortunately we do not have the luxury to just casually log on to IIS after days, weeks or even months and just skim through the topics, choosing which ones we'd like to give our $0.02c worth.

We're on here daily trying to make IIS pleasant for everyone and finding that some members don't care or appreciate our efforts.
That's fine.

There are many others here that do, and they take the time to message us, encourage us and give us a headsup on threads that may be going into areas that are against the TOS.

So since the topic has been answered (and then some...), I'll leave it there.

RB
Closed Thread