Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-06-2021, 02:18 PM
Finbar (Barry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Anyone here a Prostate Cancer survivor?
Yes. Diagnosed last year (2020), aged 58. Family history suggested prostate cancer was a matter of when, not if; the GP had abandoned the indignity of the largely useless prod, which even late in my process indicated no more than age-related enlargement.

No symptoms, but a jump in PSA led to urologist in May 2020; ultrasound and MRI showed nothing but a very minor looking feature that may have been nothing. Next PSA still too high, so biopsy in October: cancer in all 6 sectors, with old Gleeson scale 7 heading toward 8. The whole thing was going off and action was needed. Preparatory pelvic floor exercises commenced immediately. PET scan revealed no visible escape. Talked with oncologist too, but taking all factors into consideration the team and I agreed November that surgery was my best option; robotic assisted. The extent within the prostate meant nerve saving could not be guaranteed; I'm celibate, no one else to please, so get on with it, said I. Surgery mid-December, with the most serious disappointment of not being able to witness Jupiter and Saturn passing as planned for 2 years! Damn, that hurt.

For a few weeks the telescopes were too heavy to set up, limiting star gazing to binoculars on the all too rare clear nights. Six months later, recovery excellent, PSA next to 0, but, without surprise, no return of former function. Well, c'est le vie, living being the operative word, and now enjoying the newly discovered joys of binoviewing.
Old 20-06-2021, 03:19 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
Yes. Diagnosed last year (2020), aged 58. Family history suggested prostate cancer was a matter of when, not if; the GP had abandoned the indignity of the largely useless prod, which even late in my process indicated no more than age-related enlargement.

No symptoms, but a jump in PSA led to urologist in May 2020; ultrasound and MRI showed nothing but a very minor looking feature that may have been nothing. Next PSA still too high, so biopsy in October: cancer in all 6 sectors, with old Gleeson scale 7 heading toward 8. The whole thing was going off and action was needed. Preparatory pelvic floor exercises commenced immediately. PET scan revealed no visible escape. Talked with oncologist too, but taking all factors into consideration the team and I agreed November that surgery was my best option; robotic assisted. The extent within the prostate meant nerve saving could not be guaranteed; I'm celibate, no one else to please, so get on with it, said I. Surgery mid-December, with the most serious disappointment of not being able to witness Jupiter and Saturn passing as planned for 2 years! Damn, that hurt.

For a few weeks the telescopes were too heavy to set up, limiting star gazing to binoculars on the all too rare clear nights. Six months later, recovery excellent, PSA next to 0, but, without surprise, no return of former function. Well, c'est le vie, living being the operative word, and now enjoying the newly discovered joys of binoviewing.
So long as you are living mate then function can still return and there are new nerve grafts that are being experimented with promising results.
Old 20-06-2021, 03:22 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Anyone had to have a Prostate Biopsy? Is it a quick day procedure or is a hospital recovery required?
My biopsy was a day procedure no issues apart from discomfort and some bleeding in ejaculate which cleared up.
Old 20-10-2021, 08:38 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

So, had my first PSA test post surgery a couple of weeks ago... great news... undetectable... so, cancer free...

Got some more artwork to celebrate & also to hopefully start conversations & raise awareness. Right wrist so it sparks a conversation at handshake.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (wrist.jpg)
191.5 KB44 views
Old 20-10-2021, 08:41 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Nice artwork mate that will be a conversation starter for sure, good news.
Old 20-10-2021, 09:43 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
So, had my first PSA test post surgery a couple of weeks ago... great news... undetectable... so, cancer free...

Got some more artwork to celebrate & also to hopefully start conversations & raise awareness. Right wrist so it sparks a conversation at handshake.

Cheers
So good to see you post the update buddy !!
Great conversation starter mate.
My dad is a little better too, of course he is 87, and as you know was in hospital recently for a different matter but he's had ongoing treatment after his prostate opp.

A good reminder for all the guys to get their prostate checked regularly and also October is Breast Cancer awareness month, so girls, please get checked too.

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Old 20-10-2021, 09:50 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great news all round... excellent.
Alex
Old 20-10-2021, 10:19 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Actually just gone through the whole thread and realised I haven't posted an update. 19 month post op all tests have been undetectable so that's absolutely reassuring. Minimal side effects now, Most things work now with chemical help (blue pills) and that will improve further in the next year as the nerves come back online.
6 month blood tests now but my doctor says that i am cancer free so hopefully it stays that way. Wishing everyone on their journey the best of luck it's been quite a ride.....
Old 20-10-2021, 03:29 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

have had 2 meetings with mr.C
lymph glands under left arm and prostate

no chemo - just cut em out thank you
have lymphedema in left arm - small price to pay
prostate was regarded a 7 from biopsy - manual surgery to remove - no chemo needed - no reason to have bits re-connected - past that stage in life - too old
doctor was right in saying "contintence return in 3 months"
he was right within a couple of days

without a good local GP and regular visits (every three months - i was lucky to have the one GP for over 35 years and the 4 visits a year more so in the last 15 years) one or both of the above would have claimed me by now

and just for the record, i just returned home from a colonoscopy/endoscopy check at north gosford private hospital this afternoon (my third over the last 8 years)

and of course private health insurance helps - no delay when action needed

geoff

Last edited by GTB_an_Owl; 20-10-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 20-10-2021, 06:43 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

Yes, I am currently clear and not due for another review for twelve months.
Greg.
Old 21-10-2021, 09:56 AM
JohnF (John)

Have had prostrate cancer for well over a decade. It is a metastatic cancer. On Hormone therapy, PSA currently just 1.8, tested only two weeks ago. Others on Hormone therapy for many years. Loose your sex drive, etc. on that therapy, but next month I turn 73 and will have outlived my Dad who died at 72 -- not from Prostrate Cancer.
Old 21-10-2021, 08:29 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Two years post surgery.

1. Cancer - PSA remains not detectable. Might be all clear
2. Incontinence - minor, but great to be able to empty bladder quickly
3. Unmentionable... Look at this Tim Conway Enjoy the whole video or watch from 34:00 or particularly from 36:40
Old 18-12-2021, 08:55 AM
Finbar (Barry)

Thumbs up Long time no update

Now 1 year, 3 days post surgery, 4th PSA test shows undetectable levels. Fortunately the Covid crisis caused no delay in detection, diagnosis and action, otherwise in my case was heading very quickly into really bad territory.

No incontinence problems at all; donated preparatory supply of pads to local nursing home. I think from reading back through the thread that Outcast (Carlton) and I were in the same excellent hands or team.

More of a surprise, on return to gym I managed to get back to under 4min 1k run in shorter time than after previous breaks. Suspected the little blue pill was helping, but even months after stopping taking it (due to irritating nasal congestion side effect for no detectable gain) have continued shaving seconds to 3:39mins. Not what I could do in my youth, but not bad at my age and shan’t push it.

Worried for guys whose detection and treatment has been disrupted by Covid.
Take care, all,
Barry
Old 18-12-2021, 11:29 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Great news Barry
I had my first real christmas binge yesterday and happy to say despite copious amounts of alcohol, bladdwr control was as it was prior to surgery so at lest now I can imbibe in the future