Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-04-2014, 02:04 PM
KenGee

There I've done it GSO RC-16 is on it's way

Hi All, I decided to take the bait and get a GSO RC-16 and see for myself how good or not (Gee I hope not) they are. Got it from Andrews should be here next week.

I will write up a first impressions and a full review. I have a Deep Sky Instruments RC10C to compare it with http://www.deepskyinstruments.com/rc10c.htm

It will be interesting to see how they compare. the deep sky RC14 is $17K US so what will I not get by saving $10k......

BTW this will be telescope number eight, is that too many or not enough?
Old 22-04-2014, 02:11 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Very cool! Looking forward to your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGee View Post
BTW this will be telescope number eight, is that too many or not enough?
Sounds like a very modest collection to me. I think you need a few more

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 22-04-2014, 05:51 PM
allan gould

Congratulations on your 16". Will be very interested to see how it performs. It looks like your going for size and quantity like Houghy.
Allan
Old 23-04-2014, 12:52 AM
cfranks (Charles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Very cool! Looking forward to your review.

Rick.
Me too. I've had an RC10C for nearly 4 years and would be interested in the comparison.

Charles
Old 23-04-2014, 08:51 AM
gregbradley

This is a very interesting telescope and the beginning of an era of affordable large aperture scopes.

I would be interested to see how it goes. It will put a lot of pressure on your tracking and seeing at over 3 metres though. Perhaps a reducer should be high on the purchasing list. A large sensor 9 micron camera will be needed. An 8300 small pixel camera will not do well on this one.

Greg.
Old 23-04-2014, 10:10 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Very interesting. I wait patiently to hear how you go with it
Old 23-04-2014, 12:23 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Gee () exciting...going by previous examples, it might need some tweeking and modifications buuut worth the gamble in my opinion ...besides and as we have heard about on here before, even the top end gear AP, OS, PW etc can need some significant tweeks on arrival to get'em to sing

Will this be one of the first GSO 16" in Oz?

Mike
Old 23-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Satchmo

What mount are you putting it on Kenny?
Old 23-04-2014, 05:10 PM
KenGee

Greg: I agree I've order their 0.75 reducer with the telescope, most likely have to look for a field flatener version though. I have a range of cameras including an ST11000 which will show all its faults.

Hi Mike... I think it will be.... Andrews only got one in and Bintel haven't got theirs in yet, but not for long I guess.

Mark: It's going to be on a EQ8. So right on the edge but it will be in my sirus dome so wind shouldn't be an issue. If anyboby could spot me a paramount....other wise short of loto my minster of finance says no.

I've got this scope for astrometrics the RC10 is great for wide field pretty pictures. I'm not sure I'll be as methodicall as Markus with his new scope but I will check her out on the bench before she sees the sky.
Old 23-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Paul Haese

Hmm interesting Ken. Good luck with it. Do you know if the scope you are getting has the new mirror back and adapter system? If not maybe ask about it, before it makes its way out of the door. The old system cannot hold a heavy imaging train properly. Flex occurs a lot.
Old 23-04-2014, 05:35 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGee View Post
Greg: I agree I've order their 0.75 reducer with the telescope, most likely have to look for a field flatener version though. I have a range of cameras including an ST11000 which will show all its faults.

Hi Mike... I think it will be.... Andrews only got one in and Bintel haven't got theirs in yet, but not for long I guess.

Mark: It's going to be on a EQ8. So right on the edge but it will be in my sirus dome so wind shouldn't be an issue. If anyboby could spot me a paramount....other wise short of loto my minster of finance says no.

I've got this scope for astrometrics the RC10 is great for wide field pretty pictures. I'm not sure I'll be as methodicall as Markus with his new scope but I will check her out on the bench before she sees the sky.

Good luck Ken!
I too was wondering about a 16" RC on a EQ8 ... wouldn't be for a few years for me - as you say a dome would be a necessary, but will be following your progression closely!

Cheers,

Rusty
Old 23-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Poita (Peter)

How much does it weigh?
Old 23-04-2014, 10:04 PM
KenGee

Paul I'll ask but i think it has left already. I figured I might swap notes with you given your experience with their gear.

Peter the stats say 35kg.
Old 24-04-2014, 12:39 AM
KenGee

mmm reading an interesting thread on cloudy nights, wondering if the TMB flattener for my 132mm Williams Optics?
Old 26-04-2014, 07:31 PM
KenGee

Update

Well the telescope is here, and the sky is sunny...that’s because the mount isn’t.
The guy from Toll rung me this morning and dropped it off a few minutes later. The box looked sound which is a good sign. He and I got it off the truck and eased it down onto the front step. He asked me what was in such a large box but not very heavy box. I said a telescope, he said a big box for a telescope. Yes it is a big box more on that later.

First problem where is it going to go, strangely I hadn’t thought about it too hard. My shed is full of junk at the moment so it had to be my man cave in the house.

Second problem ... its huge we live in a small 1970’s three bedroom cottage, we had to take the door off to get it into the hall way. So 20 minutes taking our sliding door off it rails and moving the box past it then putting the door back on.

After a bit of thought and planning and careful lifting we eventually got it on to the work bench in my man cave. You can’t swing a cat in my room at the best of times but I couldn’t have it in the lounge as I burnt the bridge last telescope purchase. As I’m wiggling it in I’m thinking I got to get this back out at some stage.

First impressions are.... it’s huge even for a 16 inch, have I said that already? It was well packed in a double box and lots of foam, with an additional layer of cardboard on the bottom.
The scope it’s self had a two piece plastic bag for protection. I removed it and had a look around.

A quick look at both mirror confirmed that there was more breaks and all looked solid.
The secondary is supported by two rings which is different to the smaller models. There is baffling in the secondary shroud and a centre mark on the mirror.
The main mirror shroud has no baffling but I didn’t expect there to be. I was surprised to see there was none in the focus tube. However there was one in the focus tube extension that you get with the scope. There are three of these in the box one fitted to the scope with the focuser and two in the foam. There is also a power pack for the fans, this takes eight AA’s. A quick test confirmed they work.
The carbon fibre looks a treat with even Karen impressed by the look of the thing; I mean it looks like a serious telescope.

I was surprised that there is no paper work with the scope... not even a thank you for purchasing the GSO RC16. Is this the same for their other scopes? I got a personal thank you for the last big scope I bought and a instruction manual that included a breakdown and build up work instruction for removing the mirrors. GSO website is pretty basic so I’m guessing it’s not there for downloading, mmm an over sight maybe or part of the cost cutting to build at this price.

I had a play with the focuser and it seems to be okay for visual use. An electric focuser will need to go on, I’ll have a look around but moonlight is making ones for this scope so may not look far.
The DSI RC10 has a moving secondary which works very well so it will be interesting to go back to a “normal” focus arrangement.

It’s clear they have dropped off some things that would be standard on higher priced instruments, and I’m kind of glad about that. It hints at, that they have scrimped where they could and hopefully not where they shouldn’t.. only time will tell on that front. Anyway you can buy or make all of those things. Secondary dew heater, primary heater, mirror caps and light shrouds.

I want to make a flip up cover and automate it... http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/acce...obo_cover.html
What are other doing with theirs? At the moment I’ve got a couple of shower caps covering the secondary and the focuser tube.

I had a look at the collimation and it was pretty good the main mirror needs a bit of a tweak but I’ll wait until it’s on the mount.

Can’t wait for the mount to turn up and have a play. Looking at the weather forecast it’s due to turn up on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (its_here1s.jpg)
44.4 KB365 views
Click for full-size image (its_here2s.jpg)
103.1 KB342 views
Click for full-size image (its_here3s.jpg)
54.3 KB306 views
Click for full-size image (its_here8s.jpg)
77.3 KB346 views
Click for full-size image (weather.jpg)
155.2 KB201 views

Last edited by KenGee; 26-04-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: formating
Old 26-04-2014, 07:45 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Congratulations , beautiful looking scope and it looks like GSO have put a lot of effort into the design and build it makes me want to get one ,, looks very serious .
I hope the views match .
Look forward to hearing reports on its performance and the Man cave sounds just fine .
Clear skies .

Brian.

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 26-04-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 26-04-2014, 07:47 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Looking pretty cool there, good luck with the commissioning .

Mike
Old 26-04-2014, 08:03 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

That looks very serious!
Old 26-04-2014, 11:09 PM
glend (Glen)

Congratulations. No paperwork is standard for GSO as they seem to assume it isn't required. I had a pdf file sent to me by Andrews Comms when I got my 16" dob, but only after I asked about it. The boxes are sealed at the factory and apparently not opened till they get to you - so no doco.
Old 28-04-2014, 08:22 PM
KenGee

The mount has landed and the clouds roll in.