Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 16-11-2007, 08:31 AM
bojan
amateur

Questions on Tamron adaptall and Minolta stuff

Hi folks,
I just bought 200mm F3.5 prime Tamron lens on ebay for couple of bucks...
The lens itself is decent (check with 4mm Ortoscopic eyepiece on Moon revealed no significant CA, details were quite sharp), so I guess it was a good buy and it will be a good match to my 400D...
Now I have a problem with adapter... On the lens itself there is some sort of adaptall adapter, attached with the treaded ring.... I investigated a bit and it seems that adaptall-II is different, because is has some sort of bayonet-style interface towards the lens while this one is threaded ring.
I would appreciate any info on this.... and I would appreciate even more if someone has a spare M42 adapter to sell or give away

Also, there is another interesting feature on the existing adapter unknown to me.. what those notches/rings marked with "??" are for? they are coupled together with small gearbox so if you rotate one of them, the other one moves in opposite direction.. (obviously, I never belonged to Minolta SR-T club )
Thanks in advance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Tamron.jpg)
52.0 KB112 views

Last edited by bojan; 16-11-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 16-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

On the older 35mm film cameras, this may have been used to close down the iris once the exposure has been made, thus allowing viewing, composing and metering with a wide open lens? IIRC, the notch located on a pin and the pin was connected to the iris stop down mechanism.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 16-11-2007, 01:48 PM
gbeal

Nice lens, but you will need an adaptor to fit the Canon. That in itseldf will be circuitous as well. I would suggest finding an Adaptall mount to fit the M42 Pentax thread, and then also an M42 - Canon EF mount.
I have an old M42 to EF adaptor, but am not wanting to sell. There may be a simpler way, but right now I don't think there is.
The Adaptall bayonetted onto the lens, and then fitted the camera that the mount was designed for. Dennis is right, the notches allowed the various fittings to line up.
Old 16-11-2007, 02:23 PM
rally

Tamron T mount adapter

Tamron invented the T-Mount !

Something more to read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamron

I have often seen eBay listings for various Tamron Adaptall adapters - usually between $10-30 , just a matter of finding one for your camera.
If the lens is the early series then its probably a T Mount - so you need a Canon to T-mount.

I bought about 20 Adaptalls for $20 as surplus photographic junk from a camera shop recently but nothing for Canon.

Cheers Rally
Old 16-11-2007, 04:18 PM
niko

As I'm a Minolta SRT owner I think best to just pass it on to me and I'll send you copies of the photos it produces!!
Old 16-11-2007, 06:37 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
As I'm a Minolta SRT owner I think best to just pass it on to me and I'll send you copies of the photos it produces!!
Hmm.. it seems this lens will turn out better than I ever hoped for
Old 16-11-2007, 07:24 PM
niko

Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Ritchie-l (Ritchie)

Hi Bojan,
looking at the pic the bayonet fitting looks like the fitting on my canon a590is but the wrong way around. the fitting in the pic is on my camera.

Ritchie
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 PM
bojan
amateur

Ritchie,
Thanks for this info :-)
In the meantime, this lens is modified and now it has M42 fitting :-)