Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 24-02-2018, 08:15 PM
DingDong (Dion)

Skywatcher 80 ED APO projection photography

Hi all

Six months ago purchased both an SW 80 ED APO and an SW EQ6R mount. My plan is to learn the basics with the refractor and possibly progress to bigger reflector apertures once I'm comfortable with that. Though I'm really loving my kit how it is.
To compliment that, I have an ZWO 60280 guide scope with an ZWO ASI120MC-S camera for guiding and a Canon DSLR for imaging.
Two weekends ago (its taken that long) I managed to get all that kit working together and imaged my first guided DSO - The Flame and Horsehead Nebulas. To be honest I was nervous as hell as BackYard EOS clicked away for nearly twenty minutes as the EQ6 was buzzing away on the auto guider. Even more nervous as I downloaded to my stacking/photo editing program. A massive sigh of relief as the image appeared with sharp stars and the Flame nebular clear as a bell. Not only that, but a massive self confirmation that that stuff actually does exist in the night sky above us - BOOM - i'm hooked!!

Soooooooo...

Jupiter is now at a reasonable time and last weekend had a crack at that. I got an over exposed image of a bright disc of light with its moons and also managed a less-exposed disc with faint but discernible cloud bands and no moons. So now I'm thinking Projection imaging... I purchased an Eyepiece Project Camera Adapter earlier and tried to set that up but I am unable to focus past the garden hedge. I am guessing I can't get the sensor/eyepiece to the focal point???????

Ive tried Pretty much every combination of the kit the scope came with plus the adapter.

My questions are...

Am I doing it wrong and need more kit?

What kit will I need?

Am I pushing the perverbial up hill and my scope is not up to it?

Thanks for your time

D
Old 24-02-2018, 08:55 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Why dont you use your 120mc-s for planetary? It's designed to take high frames with a small fov with a small chip size. Using a dslr is less than ideal. Although with the 80mm, it'd be quite small even with the 120mc-s. You'd need to barlow it up! Just know that you'll most likely need an extension tube to get the zwo to come to focus with the ed80
Old 24-02-2018, 11:24 PM
DingDong (Dion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Why dont you use your 120mc-s for planetary? It's designed to take high frames with a small fov with a small chip size. Using a dslr is less than ideal. Although with the 80mm, it'd be quite small even with the 120mc-s. You'd need to barlow it up! Just know that you'll most likely need an extension tube to get the zwo to come to focus with the ed80
@ that_guy

Thanks for that. 2 X Barlow came with celestron eyepiece set. I'll hop online and look at some extension tubes.

Cheers bloke
Old 26-02-2018, 02:14 PM
breadfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
A massive sigh of relief as the image appeared with sharp stars and the Flame nebular clear as a bell. Not only that, but a massive self confirmation that that stuff actually does exist in the night sky above us - BOOM - i'm hooked!!
Can I encourage you to post your image? I'd love to see!
Old 27-02-2018, 01:16 AM
DingDong (Dion)

Hey Breadfan

I can't figure out how to reduce the file size down to what is allowed. Everything I try either increases in size or reduces in quality...

D
Old 28-02-2018, 08:02 PM
DingDong (Dion)

OK

Ive managed to get file size down. Here it goes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Alnitak DSS a.jpg)
190.1 KB170 views
Old 02-03-2018, 04:43 PM
Wavytone

Ooh, a horsey... well done !
Old 10-03-2018, 11:36 PM
DingDong (Dion)

Soooooo

Waiting for the extension tube to come I had a crack at Carina Nebula last Sunday 4th March.

10x180sec
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Carina DSS Affinity test2.jpg)
194.5 KB133 views
Old 10-03-2018, 11:54 PM
billdan (Bill)

Very good Dion for both those images.

My advice put a padlock on your wallet and give the key to your wife, as you have entered the bottomless pit of astro-photography.

Cheers
Bill
Old 11-03-2018, 04:22 AM
DingDong (Dion)

Cheers Bill

Looks like I’m in trouble - no wife!!

D
Old 18-03-2018, 12:45 AM
DingDong (Dion)

Extension tube arrived on Wednesday. Gonna get up early and see what I can do with Jupiter. Here is one I took last night of The Rosette Nebula
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Rosette DSS Aff.jpg)
187.4 KB104 views
Old 29-04-2018, 08:08 PM
DingDong (Dion)

Sooooooo

Ive received the extension tube and tried every combination with that and still can't find focus. I can focus on a stop in the paddock two km away but not the moon!? With over 100mm extension overall the focus seems just a little bit further away!
Old 29-04-2018, 08:20 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

When you get close to a good focus, does the moon seem to move in and out of focus? If so, that is normal, and why video is used for planetary.

By getting a pile of video frames, software pulls out the in focus ones, and stakes them together to get a good image.

Philip
Old 29-04-2018, 09:55 PM
raymo

If you are seemingly nearest to good focus when the focuser is racked fully out, slide the eyepiece/extension tube assembly further out whilst still looking
through the eyepiece, and if you still can't reach focus then Philip is almost
certainly right. Having said that, even if the seeing is bad, you should still be able to get sharpish focus, even though the moon will go slightly in and out of focus as you watch it. I don't know how long an extension tube the
SW ED80 requires, did you get the SW one?
raymo
Old 29-04-2018, 11:20 PM
DingDong (Dion)

Hi guys

Thanks for the quick replies guys

I can make out the blurry craters and thats how I know I'm close. I reckon another 30mm of travel on the focuser would have it. I tried to be sneaky Raymo and slide the the extension out of the holder and its closer but still blurry.

I bought a 50mm extension and already had an extendible extension and the two of them together (looks horrible) doesn't seem to be enough. theres a whole heap of sag with all of that with the DSLR so am taking That_Guys advice and swap it out with the ZWO next time.

On top of that - my observatory I built has wee design floor - with all that extension I can't fit my head between the eyepiece and the wall ROFL!!

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong tho.

Iborg - Instead I experimented AVI captures at prime focus but the MAC software Lynkeos either didn't have enough frames or is not up to the job and performed poorly. With PHD playing up and this Ive had a **** weekend of observing so not blaming the software really. What software do you use?

So up until this projection experiment things have run smoothly. Now the learning curve looks like my auto guiding corrections lol

Still - Theres always next weekend

Cheers guys
Old 30-04-2018, 07:23 PM
iborg (Philip)

I can tell you the software, but, I also have had little luck with the moon or planets.

Mostly, lack of opportunity when the seeing has looked good.

I think that I also have not taken enough video. So far, only enough to see if the equipement seem to be working, but, not enough to get decent images. Which I didn't realise until after!

Software used is Sharpcap and Backyard EOS.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Wavytone

Dion,

You need to do some maths to understand just how small the planets really are and how much magnification you need to get them up to a scale where you can usefully photograph them.

While your 80mm refractor is good for wide field stuff like nebulae and quite a few galaxies are easily within its reach photographically, it is too small to do much on the planets.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hey Dion
Ease up or there wont be any photons for the rest of us.
Great effort you should be proud.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 03-05-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:46 PM
DingDong (Dion)

Thanks for the replies

Iborg
Cheers. So early in on this AP stuff I read what others are doing then have a crack myself. Then when things get sticky (Projection) I ask! So thanks again.

Wavytone
Since I started this thread I have come to that realisation. The reason I'd like to take photos with my kit is (1) to say I've done it, and (2) I've already managed Saturn and Jupiter with an iPhone on my sons 3" reflector hence (1) lol. Theres still the moon aye!? Thankyou

xelanave
Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to look through a telescope. Only now in the middle of my life have I been able to do that whilst also being in a position to afford the gear. After researching others experiences I realise Ive been fortunate enough to have everything work first time - except projection - so that I'm a step nearer to being able to impart that knowledge to others.

I'm playing catch-up mate

Cheers Alex
Old 04-05-2018, 10:54 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Dion,
You’re doing well.
I’d recommend using the ASI (with FireCapture or SharpCap) to collect an AVI of around 500to1000 frames. Process in Autostakkert and some waveletsi inRegistax.

Don’t use the projection method at this stage. The ED80 is a f7.5 scope, so fo the ASI camera using a x2 or x2.5 Barlow would be enough.
Do the initial focus with an eyepiece and replace with the ASI sitting in the Barlow, there should be minimal adjustment.
Hope this helps.