Old 28-05-2013, 10:11 PM
drunifex (G)

About to Purchase Gear

Hey I'm new at this but after a bit of reading I have come up with a list of equipment that I want to get.

1. Advanced VX Mount
2. EdgeHD Celestron SCT 8 Inch
3. Celestron T Adapter
4. Zhumell T Ring Canon EOS
5. Canon 7D (already got this)

(Id like a Focal Reducer but I can't get the EdgeHD one yet)

I can get this all for about 2k in the states (going there in a month)

Does this seem like a good kit to get?
Im primarily interested in doing astro photography and viewing.
Old 29-05-2013, 06:35 PM
naskies (Dave)

Hi drunifex!

We're a pretty friendly and helpful bunch here, and I suspect the reason you haven't got any replies yet is that your question is a bit too broad and difficult to answer without an idea of what you want do, and what your budget is.

Everything in astronomy is a bit of a compromise and, unfortunately for most of us with limited bank accounts, visual observing and deep space imaging are on complete opposites of the equipment spectrum.

For visual observing, you generally want to spend your money on getting the largest aperture possible, which for most people means a Newtonian reflector on a Dobsonian mount. In your case, a lot of the money will be going towards the SCT design (SCTs cost a lot more than Newtonian reflectors, on average) and tracking mount (not necessary for visual observing).

For deep space imaging (galaxies, nebulae, star clusters, etc), the tracking mount is the most important thing - the OTA is comparatively less important. You'll need to read up on autoguiding and budget for a guide scope+camera.

If you're on a limited budget, the equipment you've proposed is a bit of a case of "jack of all trade - master of none". You'll probably get similar views out of an 8-inch Dobsonian telescope that costs $400. For photography, that combination of telescope and mount isn't ideal - you'll probably end up getting frustrated over why you get blurry, noisy images. A small refractor like an ED80, with a guide scope + camera, would be a better way to start.

Also - the items you're thinking of are quite heavy and bulky, and transporting them back from the US would be tricky (don't forget + 10% for GST)... I personally wouldn't load those items into personal checked luggage with the stock shipping box!

Have you considered going to a local astronomy club and seeing what equipment other people are using first?
Old 30-05-2013, 10:46 PM
drunifex (G)

Oops too late> I have already ordered it. I actually had this type recommended from other forums. I originally was going to buy a NexStar 8SE but this was recommended over the others. I read a lot and this system seemed to be the best combination for what I wanted to do.

I was told it was 59 pound so it costs 35 bucks for an extra bag to put it into. My only concern is the box is 2 inches too long so I might have to break up the boxes in my suit case and carry on the tube.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
drunifex (G)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply btw