Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 PM
narky (Sam)

cheap scopes in WA

I recently moved to Perth. Where's somewhere cheap to get an AZ mount? Mine is in Sydney and I figured I might give it to a friend rather than ship it over.

Also I love my shorty refractor, but figured i could use it as a spotting scope for something bigger eventually. Wondering if there's anywhere local or should i just get Andrews in Sydney to ship something over (they were great to me last time).
Old 02-05-2012, 09:28 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

One of the guys in here from Melbourne just bought his EQ6 and scope from Perth.
It was hundreds cheaper over there even with freight costs than getting it in Melbourne!!!

Hopefully he will jump in and say where he got his gear.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

There's the binocular telescope and optical world out at Malaga, who I think used to be York optical. They've got the usual collection of Skywatcher and Celestron stuff. There's also a couple of guys who run small import business, presumably to get a tax offset on their own toys.
Adelaide isn't too far away, I've bought from both the Astronomy and Electronic Centre, and Telelscopes and Astronomy shops and can recommend either for fairly prompt responses and shipping.
Once you've lived in Perth for a while it will seem normal to get everything a month after you want it. Shops like Bintel and even Optcorp in the US are probably your best bet for anything small.
cheers,
Andrew.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
narky (Sam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
It was hundreds cheaper over there even with freight costs than getting it in Melbourne!!!
Woohoo!

Do you remember who it was? I'll PM them.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM
narky (Sam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
There's the binocular telescope and optical world out at Malaga, who I think used to be York optical.
They were my first link in Google, I was weary.

Cheers Andy.

I want something quick so i can take it deep sky with the ASWA boys/girls.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narky View Post
Woohoo!

Do you remember who it was? I'll PM them.
That cracks me up- one of my mates here in Perth just bought an EQ6 and scope from Melbourne for exactly the same reason!
There is a guy here on these forums who sells stuff locally in Perth, hopefully he'll pop up soon. Problem is nobody ever has any damn stock over here- just costs too much to have it sitting around when the volumes are so low.
Good luck, you've got a couple of weeks before next new moon anyway!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...5&postcount=20

Ignore.
See Sarge's post below.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 PM
narky (Sam)

But Saturday is moonageddon according to SMH http://m.smh.com.au/technology/sci-t...311-1bqrw.html
Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Sarge (Rod)

It was me.

Bought my NEQ6 Pro from BTOW (http://btow.com.au/Sky-Watcher_NEQ6P...from_Australia) in Perth. Best price I could find in Aus. Shipping was quite slow - courier issues not BTOW. Including the shipping from Perth to Melb - $1442, it was a couple of hundred cheaper that buying here and pick up. I notice their price has gone up a little since I bought, but still a good buy.

Clear skies

Rod
Old 02-05-2012, 10:40 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
It was me.

Bought my NEQ6 Pro from BTOW (http://btow.com.au/Sky-Watcher_NEQ6P...from_Australia) in Perth. Best price I could find in Aus. Shipping was quite slow - courier issues not BTOW. Including the shipping from Perth to Melb - $1442, it was a couple of hundred cheaper that buying here and pick up. I notice their price has gone up a little since I bought, but still a good buy.

Clear skies

Rod
Ahhhh that's right, it was you Rod

I notice their price is now about the same as Andrews Communication in Sydney.
Andrews have the EQ6 for $1499
I put Stuart in Sydney onto that mount at Andrews earlier tonight coz he wants to pick-up, not wait for delivery.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
I recently moved to Perth. Where's somewhere cheap to get an AZ mount? Mine is in Sydney and I figured I might give it to a friend rather than ship it over.
I think you may as well ship it over. Most here buy from OS or interstate.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
But Saturday is moonageddon according to SMH http://m.smh.com.au/technology/sci-t...311-1bqrw.html
Something those Eastern States people should worry about. Won't affect us over here, mate.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:42 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

BTOW had a special because Kieth got his hands on a few EQ6's at a good price for him. As for "the astro guy" i've had a lot of people say he has basically let it all go now as the website is now defunct and gone.

Generally though its as Roger said, prices really suck over here and you have to wait in any case for them to bring it in from another warehouse and generally it isn't local.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:

Also I love my shorty refractor, but figured i could use it as a spotting scope for something bigger eventually. Wondering if there's anywhere local or should i just get Andrews in Sydney to ship something over (they were great to me last time).
I have had stuffed shipped to Perth by Andrews. There was no problem and it is quick.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Something those Eastern States people should worry about. Won't affect us over here, mate.
So you've renounced your roots, then, Andrew?

Anyway, I thought "cheap" and "Perth" was an oxymoron. Doesn't happen. You've just got to get used to the fact that everything a week or so away and plan ahead. That's the down side of living at the end of the supply line on the far side of the Nullabor. But then's there plus side of not being buried under cloud for months on end... I think I'd rather have that.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Anyway, I thought "cheap" and "Perth" was an oxymoron. Doesn't happen. You've just got to get used to the fact that everything a week or so away and plan ahead.
Oh I dunno, sometimes you find the obscure things you want off-the-shelf at the right price...

I seem to remember when I needed some Gugolz polishing pitch, I was very surprised to find a little store in Nedlands that had it on the shelf at realistic pricing
Also got a HB astroatlas there too!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Yeah, well, that was another lifetime...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

2 of these for sale in the last 3 weeks , the ultimate ALT/ AZ mount..
Brian.
Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2012-05-02 17.26.44.jpg)
208.2 KB18 views
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Yeah, well, that was another lifetime...
Hilarious - I got the other tin of Gugolz and HB astroatlas, and a copy of Hartungs for a sensible price!
Tongue in cheek Jacquie - I still refuse to get the lobotomy to become naturalised...
On a serious note - I wonder if the economics of such a store would have improved given the incredible change in population in Perth since those days? Not sticking my hand up to run it, mind you... I don't know how you kept the smile on your face.
cheers,
Andrew.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
On a serious note - I wonder if the economics of such a store would have improved given the incredible change in population in Perth since those days? Not sticking my hand up to run it, mind you... I don't know how you kept the smile on your face.
cheers,
Andrew.
I think it'd be worse now. You'd find RRP would be more than what people can easily buy it from the states for, due to currency conversion and competition, and I don't think relying on local loyalty would get you the volume required.