Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 01-09-2021, 01:15 PM
leon

Australian Post Exceptional Delivery Times

Hi Guys I thought I would just share this with you all as I have heard many horror stories about Aust Post.

I thought because of this Pandemic postal deliveries would be so back logged that one would have to wait forever.

Over the last two weeks I have bought a Lens, some Quick release plates, a hard case and some accessories, 4 separate items from four different places.

Three items form Sydney and one from Brisbane.

Brisbane was three days
Sydney one was a day and half
And the others from Sydney were both under three days

That is just exceptional delivery times, and everything was so smooth from buying online to delivery.

Alice is a bit peed off with it all as she sent a to a friend from Warrnambool to Horsham and it took 10 days

Leon
Old 01-09-2021, 01:27 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

G’day Leon.
I saw the subject line of your post and had a momentary stab of concern. The last fraud/scam email I got purported to be from Australia Post and if it wasn’t for their mis-spelling, I would have accepted it as genuine. It was the added “n” that gave the game away. So while I agree with you about their good service, I still had that momentary alarm.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:00 PM
Sitt (Simon)

Sorry not to cast a shadow on your post Leon but I wouldn't say three days is exceptional delivery times. If you live in Europe/US most deliveries tend to be overnight. Deliveries to WA take a minimum of a week sometimes up to 2 before parcels are delivered (Sydney-Perth).
I bought something from FLO late one Thursday night a few months back, it was delivered by DHL on the Monday. Now’s that’s exceptional service, three days from the UK to Perth
Old 01-09-2021, 03:10 PM
Saturn488

I had a parcel from NSW to VIC take 14 days.

Made a purchase from FLO Friday night, DHL express on my doorstep today in 5 days from the UK!

And Aussie Post prices have gone up too. I also reported the delivery person for throwing my parcel 3 metres to my door damaging the goods inside. I reported that 2 weeks ago, no reply from them.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:17 PM
leon

Ah well, I was happy, anyway.

Leon

Last edited by leon; 01-09-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:23 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Ah well, I as happy, anyway.

Leon
I am happy with them as well Leon.

Sent a parcel to Sydney last week.
Posted late Friday, delivered Monday.
That's pretty good service. (IMHO)
Old 01-09-2021, 06:02 PM
leon

At least someone is with me Allan

Leon
Old 02-09-2021, 04:43 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Nice to see a post talking about good service over bad. I'm sure we all get both, but the bad service normally generates more posts...

I'm waiting on 1 O/s and 2 interstate posts, but we're down to 3 deliveries days a week atm I think. Fingers crossed its a good week for my team from Oz Post!

Steve
Old 02-09-2021, 09:02 AM
AdamJL

In the past month I’ve ordered 23 things online. 12 have used Auspost

11 of those items have been Express Post.
7 of those items have been delayed.
3 over 4 days delay

All the other items have been with other companies (Toll, DHL, StarTrack who are owned by AusPost but run separate). None of them have been delayed. In fact one item got to us from Turkey in 5 days. That’s quicker than Express Post from Melbourne to Sydney
On the same day one item shipped from Melbourne via AusPost, another was shipped via Toll also from Melbourne. The former took a week, then latter under 24 hours

So yeah, I’m glad you’ve had a great experience with them but for me, they’ve been woeful recently
Old 02-09-2021, 12:04 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Auspost, TOLL,TNT, etc... I'd put them all in the same bag. Between missing and/or damaged items since beginning of June I'm not even going to start.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:52 PM
leon

Wow certainly a touchy topic. maybe in the future I will have some massive delays with the postie, however at this point in time all is good.

Leon
Old 02-09-2021, 01:19 PM
Stonius (Markus)

I, like many others during lockdown, have been smashing the 'buy now' button a bit lately. I've had both ends of the spectrum - things arriving incredibly quickly, and of course the critical part that will turn my scope into a *motorised* scope has been in transit from Sydney for a week.

Gotta feel for the posties though. They are incredibly busy at the moment. I'm sure it's no fun for them, just like an endless 'week before Xmas'.

Markus
Old 02-09-2021, 05:06 PM
DJT (David)

I was talking to the local postmaster and his wife today and they are getting smashed with click frenzie.

There’s no deliveries out here so it’s a big day out when you go to the post office but they are out of space. Auspost are holding picking up from retailers for 4 days in Sydney due to COVID cases as they can’t cope and the local 5 acre sorting centre has had to stop the conveyor belts at times.
Lord knows what it’s like in Sydney.

Have a heart people. There’s a pandemic on and it’s no fun getting stuff to our doors at the moment whether or not it’s from France or from the local Kmart.

Might even want to consider what’s essential to purchase. Do I really need those Haigues Chocolates right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
I, like many others during lockdown, have been smashing the 'buy now' button a bit lately. I've had both ends of the spectrum - things arriving incredibly quickly, and of course the critical part that will turn my scope into a *motorised* scope has been in transit from Sydney for a week.

Gotta feel for the posties though. They are incredibly busy at the moment. I'm sure it's no fun for them, just like an endless 'week before Xmas'.

Markus
Old 02-09-2021, 05:44 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
I was talking to the local postmaster and his wife today and they are getting smashed with click frenzie.

There’s no deliveries out here so it’s a big day out when you go to the post office but they are out of space. Auspost are holding picking up from retailers for 4 days in Sydney due to COVID cases as they can’t cope and the local 5 acre sorting centre has had to stop the conveyor belts at times.
Lord knows what it’s like in Sydney.

Have a heart people. There’s a pandemic on and it’s no fun getting stuff to our doors at the moment whether or not it’s from France or from the local Kmart.

Might even want to consider what’s essential to purchase. Do I really need those Haigues Chocolates right now?

I'm not entirely sure (without seeing data) that the pandemic is to blame. I would blame it more on resource management.
Reason? Out of the parcels I mentioned above, the others from DHL, Toll and StarTrack all have been on time. Every single one. They have been from interstate (Brissy and Melbs), locally (Sydney) and overseas (Turkey).

The pandemic should also be impacting them, but at least for me, they are still delivering quickly.

It's only AusPost that isn't.

I know they're the national service and as such take the lion's share of business, but again, their service level is more down to resource management IMO than purely an increase in volume.

That said, I'd never have a go at my local posties. I know they work incredibly hard even during the "normal" times. This isn't their fault at all.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

I'm with you, Leon.

I insist on Aus Post, as I get deliveries here 5 days per week. Syd 2-3 days, Melb 3-4 days, Bris a week.

Considering I'm about 53kms from town, that's exceptional.

(Courier companies insist I collect from depots 53 kms away, even though they have accepted the consignment, in full knowledge they will not complete the delivery!)

Auspost is having a period of catchup/nopickups this week due to backlogs, and that's acceptable to me considering their staffing issues re the pandemic.

Last edited by Boozlefoot; 03-09-2021 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Poor grammar.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:44 AM
Saturn488

Should get express now that they are haulting parcel collections in ACT, VIC and NSW starting tomorrow until Tuesday.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:43 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Yeah I heard that in the news this morning. Poor buggers on the floor and delivering who tested positive have to quarantine so they're running short on staff. I guess they don't have enough funding for contractors to cover the gap. It all went into the Cartier watches.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:30 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Nearly 2 weeks and still counting to receive a parcel coming from Canberra to Melbourne was expected by 3rd Sep. Currently Delayed – waiting to be processed for delivery since Saturday 4th Sep. Yes the is exceptional delivery time.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:42 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Yep. I've been waiting for a parcel to make it from Sydney to Melbourne since August 28. That's 11 days already! :-(
Old 08-09-2021, 10:39 PM
Pepper (Steve)

Had a camera come from Melbourne to rural nsw in 3days.
Had a scope sent from Victoria yesterday and it’s already on the way to my local facility 24hrs later. Can’t complain with Aussie post at the moment.