ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2021, 10:10 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Jupiter double transit and eclipse, 8 August 2021

There was 100% cloud cover when I set up last night and didn't clear up until after 10:00 when the clouds suddenly cleared off. Jetstream speeds were still in the dark red (>45 m/s) but there was a promise of a double moon transit across Jupiter. After taking a number of videos where the results were poor, the seeing suddenly improved for around 30 minutes and I was able to capture Europa and Ganymede transiting the planet, while Io disappeared into Jupiter's shadow.

Attached is an animation showing a minute by minute display of the moons, where it is possible to see differential movement of Ganymede with the planet, Io disappearing behind Jupiter's shadow and Europa slowing catching up to Ganymede.

Don't forget about the upcoming double moon occultation between Europa and Ganymede while transiting Jupiter on Sunday the 15th - this is an all-nighter for sure! Hopefully the weather somewhere across Australia will allow someone to capture this rare event. More details here.
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=192542
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter 20210808 1138 - 1148 ps1sm100 frame straight frame-1_pipp_2fps.gif)
163.6 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (2021-08-08-1340_0-L-Jup_AS_F7500_lapl6_ap89_Driz30 Jup925Kiwi r1g1b11 ps1sm150.png)
168.4 KB74 views
Old 11-08-2021, 10:20 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Andrew,
Great show here- like the passage of the moons and the shadows cast on the surface. Makes for a curtain raiser for the event not far away.
Interesting gif really puts you at the scene.
Well done really like your work and we will all have our eyes peeled on the 15th.

Jupiter is like the Harlem globe trotters putting on all the tricks!

A
Old 11-08-2021, 10:37 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Excellent work, not giving up when the seeing was crap payed off. Great to see what I missed out on because of clouds and rain up here.

So looking forward to Sunday night , Monday morning
Old 11-08-2021, 11:38 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Excellent Andrew!

Really liked the gif.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:57 AM
Eris (Gerard)

Great stuff Andrew. Really impressive!
Old 11-08-2021, 04:13 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

That's awesome! Of course it was cloudy here and looks like the 15th will be cloudy also.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:27 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Awesome capture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post

Don't forget about the upcoming double moon occultation between Europa and Ganymede while transiting Jupiter on Sunday the 15th - this is an all-nighter for sure! Hopefully the weather somewhere across Australia will allow someone to capture this rare event. More details here.
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=192542
Looks like it will be clear here. Fingers crossed. Do you think we'll be able to see anything against the planet background? Might have to barlow a fair bit. IR or straight LUM?
Old 11-08-2021, 04:48 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Awesome capture.

Looks like it will be clear here. Fingers crossed. Do you think we'll be able to see anything against the planet background? Might have to barlow a fair bit. IR or straight LUM?
Thanks - it should look exactly the same as the animation above, as the moons are the same. Europa will be bright, Ganymede dark, and the shadows will look black. The bright Europa will pass between Ganymede and Jupiter, it would look better the other way around but it is what it is.

I used a 9.25" SCT at around f/21 for these captures (so about a 5m focal length). I will also be capturing in colour...
Old 11-08-2021, 06:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
Thanks - it should look exactly the same as the animation above, as the moons are the same. Europa will be bright, Ganymede dark, and the shadows will look black. The bright Europa will pass between Ganymede and Jupiter, it would look better the other way around but it is what it is.

I used a 9.25" SCT at around f/21 for these captures (so about a 5m focal length). I will also be capturing in colour...
Cool. Thanks. I'll set up Saturday and rehearse. It's been a year since I did any planetary last.