Old 17-05-2021, 08:51 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

What did U see with Jupiter last night?

I saw Io eclipse Europa. This morning, Io’s shadow was cast on Europa for about 5minutes from 4.48am. I only noticed the dimming (said to 0.55 magnitude) for approximately the central 2 minutes of the event when it became very obvious.

This is the first time that I have seen any of these eclipses that only occur only during one in every six years, so I am quite chuffed.

I used my little 81mm Vixen with a 12.5mm Ortho EP. (50x)

Jupiter is always a fine sight, but both clouds and life interfere. Or maybe, U were testing some equipment. Regardless, if U saw it last night, kindly share your observation with us!
Old 17-05-2021, 01:03 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Glad to hear you got to witness an eclipse of Jupiters moons, or 2 of them at least. There are a few more mutual moon events over the next few months so I'm hoping that conditions are favourable for some of them.
Was wanting to watch last nights but the winds were too gusty earlier in the evening so gave up and got some sleep instead.
Old 17-05-2021, 02:55 PM
Finbar (Barry)

Damn. Have been busy, and after so many months with rain and clouds I haven’t been doing prep homework, so missed it - on the clearest night on the Atherton Tablelands all year! Glad you saw it.
Old 18-05-2021, 08:56 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
Damn. Have been busy, and after so many months with rain and clouds I haven’t been doing prep homework, so missed it - on the clearest night on the Atherton Tablelands all year! Glad you saw it.
That was a great night for viewing, last night was hopeless in Cairns.

Two very good eclipses happening on the 25 & 26th May plus our Moon's eclipse!
Old 02-06-2021, 04:22 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I did see Ganymede lose it prominence compared to the other moons this morning, as Europa cast its shadow upon it. It was a difficult observation through cloud.

Though not as satisfactory as I would have liked, it was much better than 25 & 26th May, when all I saw was thick cloud.

On the 12th June, Ganymede eclipses Io and this appears to be the best one for the rest of the year in Oz as far as diming goes.
Old 25-06-2021, 05:50 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

25th June: 6.35am.

One of Jupiter's Belt is an extraordinary, deep rusty brown and very wide atm. In 50+ years of observing, I have never noticed it being so prominent.

I had a lucky parting of the clouds this morning for only a few minutes and observed this with my Vixen 51ED with 125x.
Old 26-06-2021, 07:45 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I thought the Belt was less distinct than yda when viewing through my Tak 100. I am not sure if I am seeing day to day variation, or more likely, just the opposite side of the Belt.

I notice some recent images of Jupiter on this forum show the colour and width of the belt quite well.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:16 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I had a 30min session from 5.30am with my Tak 100.

The Northern Equatorial Belt remains a deep brown and is very prominent. In contrast, the Southern Belt looks pale.

The Red Spot was near the median and I could see some nearby disturbances in the Belt near the spot.

I managed a look at Saturn and the Moon. Both looked outstanding, as the seeing this time of morning (and this time of the year) is considerably better than the norm.

To top it off, I also observed a low hovering Mercury, but did not detect its phase.