Old 07-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Markarian’s Chain of Galaxies

Every year, the Virgo cluster of galaxies seem to slip away before I have the chance to observe them. Two evening ago (5th June) has been the first night this year when the clouds cleared and I had the chance to reacquaint myself with them.

I cruised into the region with my 140mm Vixen and was immediately confused. I expected the Messier Galaxies to be faint with this relatively small scope, but not this faint. Then, I realized that I was seeing NGC galaxies beyond the M list.

I tried to just get a feel for the area without charts, then I stumbled upon this incredibly rich area of galaxies. I had never seen so many in the one field of view. I counted seven with many more galaxies in neighboring fields of view.

I consulted my charts next morning to understand what I had seen. I picked up my Herald-Bobroff Astroatlas and there they were, on the front cover!

Yesterday, I purchased Sue French’s Book: Deep-Sky Wonders and from her, I learnt the name and story behind: Markarian’s Chain.

I was out again last night with my light bucket: an 8” SCT. I have mixed feelings about SCTs. It did show the galaxies as brighter, but with less clarity. Nevertheless, I felt like I was seeing more galaxies, before the evening was prematurely halted by clouds.

It is raining ATM, so I don’t like my chances tonight.

I kept notes on my first observations of Messier Objects. On checking these, my first views of M84 and M86 were on 5th June 1981; exactly 40 years ago. They were from inner city skies and I failed to notice any of the nearby galaxies, even though I was using an 8” scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (N117.jpg)
44.8 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (N116.jpg)
34.4 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (N115.jpg)
38.3 KB55 views

Last edited by Tropo-Bob; 07-06-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:28 PM
AdamJL

Nice report!

It's a fantastic part of the sky, isn't it? Galaxies galore.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:41 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

A great part of the sky for galaxy aficionados, large or small scope, there are plenty of galaxies to see, Markarians chain being one of the more interesting asterisms. Thanks for sharing your observations Bob, and that looks like an interesting book by Sue French.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Great report Bob. I enjoyed the read.
This area has been on my observing lists for a long time. At best it is only 33 degrees above the horizon from down here. Plus when at the meridian, I am looking through the Hobart light dome. I always have it on my list for dark sky visits, but they have eluded me to date.