Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 02-08-2021, 06:37 PM
Tony Leece

Garage conversion advice

since moving to Australia i have wanted to convert my garage into a roll off roof observatory.
just wondering if anyone here has done such a conversion and know of any pitfalls or tips i would benefit from?
in the images i have highlighted the section i want to have roll off ( over/ under) the main garage.
Budget is a bit of a priority as i am between jobs but i am quite good with my hands.
Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210614_150352.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	278529

Name:	20210614_150417.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	278530

Name:	20210614_150731.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	278531
Old 07-08-2021, 10:23 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi Tony I think you may be bitting off more then you can chew .I would get a builder in and explain what you want,it may be cheaper to buy another smaller shed?
Old 09-08-2021, 06:54 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Its doable just keep thinking how..and certainly if you can find a builder go for it but I find they are very hard to find.
The immediate problem I see is you will need a rather high pier...I think you would need to leave the current roof in place and work out how to have a smaller section provide the roll off component...try visualising how that could be done...but one thing for sure you just need to think think think...even build a little model...or build a little model in Blender which is a free program and alllws you to do a plan and rotate it every which way...maybe even send a file off for a little 3d printout..
Good luck and please keep us updated, I for one absolutely love seeing folk build their observatory.
Good luck.
Alex
Old 09-08-2021, 07:22 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

You would have to add quite a lot of framing and bracing of the walls before you could think of making the roof opening. Maybe call a steel fabrication shop and ask if they could measure , design and make up additional wall , and roof frames to hold the building together when the roof is removed.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:03 PM
Tony Leece

Thanks for your advice and comment guys, i appreciate it
Old 11-08-2021, 04:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I was going to have a go at a suitable design for you today and have given the matter a great deal of thought.
The idea would be to cut a section out of the roof approx 6ft x 6ft. Add A frame with a connection between the frames at the edges...this gives you your hole.
Now with a little extention to the roof section cut out you have your roll off roof. Lay rails on top of the roof so the roll off has tracks either side. Add framing to the roof roll off for wheels. I really expect all the frame can be done in pine but check load capacity.. estimate the weight of the roof cut out...to me it is an easier job than one could first think... you will need to winch it back and forth and could use 4wd type winches..I use two approx $200 each from Autobarn .. each will pull 1000 kg ..your roll off maybe 250kg at a guess ..I have not done any calculation..but I would be surprised if more..use many little wheels..I use eight each side day $5 each in my small roll off observatory.

The large roll off only has 2 each side and suffers but the winches scull drag it so no worries.
Best idea is to make a model using balsa and pretend you are building it in real life..so as to realise you will build the roll off part on the roof so you will think of supports during the build..that sort of thing. I think I could do it for it for around $1300 to $1700...all up including pier.
Alex
Old 12-08-2021, 08:26 PM
gb44 (Glenn)

Yes, the rolling roof should roll along the roof constrained in C purlins.

It can still be light enough to roll on and off with rope and rod.

When its closed it can be secured in the four corners with restraining hooks that adjust and tighten secured to wall studs with turnbuckles.
Ill search for a pic.

GlennB
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (22.jpg)
64.7 KB77 views
Click for full-size image (19.jpg)
56.4 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (17.jpg)
71.8 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (18.jpg)
64.2 KB68 views
Click for full-size image (21.jpg)
48.0 KB60 views
Click for full-size image (23.jpg)
67.4 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (15.jpg)
56.8 KB69 views

Last edited by gb44; 12-08-2021 at 08:33 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 14-08-2021, 03:53 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Forget the roll-off and think instead about a roll-out. Sink a couple of rails to run in and out your shed and make a simple trolly so you just roll it out on the rails. When you are in position, you lower the scope legs into designated positions. You can be up and running very quickly, for very little expense.
Old 15-08-2021, 10:17 AM
gb44 (Glenn)

Having had both ro/roff roof and a roll out telescope and tripod I must say I prefer the ro/roff.

The setup is always done.
The weather is a non - issue.
Theres no worry about failures/dropping stuff.
Private.
Secure....

GlennB
Old 20-08-2021, 10:57 PM
Tony Leece

Thanks again guys, much appreciate all t hge help and advice