Old 06-09-2021, 05:04 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)
Neo - as in Dr Neo Cortex

CGX Hypertune Sydney

Anyone have a contact for hypertuning a CGX in Sydney. My last option.

Cheers,

Lance
Old 06-09-2021, 11:43 PM
glend (Glen)

Bintel is a Celestron Service Centre, if it needs remedial attention I would start there. Most belt and worm adjustments can be done by owners, you just need to read all the old threads on Cloudy Nights.
How bad can it be right now, that makes you think it needs drastic action. Hypertuning usually refers to some part replacement or machining.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:49 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Bintel is a Celestron Service Centre, if it needs remedial attention I would start there. Most belt and worm adjustments can be done by owners, you just need to read all the old threads on Cloudy Nights.
How bad can it be right now, that makes you think it needs drastic action. Hypertuning usually refers to some part replacement or machining.
The backlash is incredible, and it is impossible to balance, the stiction is so bad, releaseing the clutches, it is lucky to get to the bottom of one arc, let alone swing back. Counterweights on, no OTA. I was considering that perhaps it needs a relube.

Lance
Old 07-09-2021, 07:51 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

I had a lot of issues with my CGX as well. I ended up stripping it down and relube and rebuild.
I also readjusted the RA worm mesh to quite tight (no play) and it seemed to work. I will do the Dec worm mesh adjustment soon.
What I noticed in my mount are the sub optimal bearings in RA, which explained the stiction but my RA worm mesh adjustment made a difference. Dec bearings had enough free play in them.
If you are used to pulling apart a CGEM mount, then it might be worth your while to give it a go. (Usual caveats apply).
Good luck.
Bo
Old 08-09-2021, 12:02 AM
glend (Glen)

If your getting all that striction, it would likely be that the worm is cranked down hard against the ring, where normal operation has the worm just mated with the ring grooves without pressing hard against it. If you read the old Cloudy Nights threads, some of which i have had input to, you will find details on adjustment. Honestly, that should be able to be fixed in five minutes with the adjustment screws. The original CGX manual had details at the back on worm adjustment.

I have to ask, did you buy this mount new or used? It would be highly unusual for a new mount to come from the factory not correctly adjusted. There were a few early build models that had QA issues related to set up, but those were sorted out years ago.

You might have a clutch problem, but I have never heard of that in the CGX ( where the clutch does not release completely with the lever). If the mount swings freely with the clutch released then look to the worm and ring binding. You should be able to move the worm with your hand, compressing the load spring to pull it away from the ring, if the worm cannot be moved then the range screw is not set correctly.

The only other thing I can think of is a seized drive motor or transmission (each motor has a small transmission at the end where the drive belt sprocket shaft is located). I have not heard of a failure in that area.

If we were not in represent travel lockdown, I would suggest you bring the mount to my place and I could investigate and adjust to correct settings.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:01 AM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
If your getting all that striction, it would likely be that the worm is cranked down hard against the ring, where normal operation has the worm just mated with the ring grooves without pressing hard against it. If you read the old Cloudy Nights threads, some of which i have had input to, you will find details on adjustment. Honestly, that should be able to be fixed in five minutes with the adjustment screws. The original CGX manual had details at the back on worm adjustment.

I have to ask, did you buy this mount new or used? It would be highly unusual for a new mount to come from the factory not correctly adjusted. There were a few early build models that had QA issues related to set up, but those were sorted out years ago.

You might have a clutch problem, but I have never heard of that in the CGX ( where the clutch does not release completely with the lever). If the mount swings freely with the clutch released then look to the worm and ring binding. You should be able to move the worm with your hand, compressing the load spring to pull it away from the ring, if the worm cannot be moved then the range screw is not set correctly.

The only other thing I can think of is a seized drive motor or transmission (each motor has a small transmission at the end where the drive belt sprocket shaft is located). I have not heard of a failure in that area.

If we were not in represent travel lockdown, I would suggest you bring the mount to my place and I could investigate and adjust to correct settings.
That is a kind offer, and if not in lockdown, I would take it up, and pay you for the service. I could always courier it I guess ? I am just sick and tired of getting only 3 min or so subs, before streaking starts, this is even with a PA less than 1 sec. PHD2 cant even measure the backlash, and the graph in both axis, jumps horribly all over the place.There are even some spikes where it is correcting so much, that it actually dissaoears right off the graph, set at 8 secs. I sat and watched the movement, centered a star, and it continually drifts, no matter what I do. Celestron havn't been helpfull, they simply say "do this, that", which I have already done. I have provided them with PHD2 logs, and they come back with exactly the same advice, which I have already followed. Frustrating.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:11 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Went back to F/2 and 30 sec subs, the field is so wide, that good tracking isn't such an issue, but does limit a lot of targets.

It is under warranty, so I have no option but to demand an inspection and repair.

I took the cover off the RA, and regreased. What I did notice, is that one of the pulleys is misshaped, It dosn't seem to be properly machined, and the flanges are misshaped. This looks to force the belt to the right on the top, yet runs to the left on the bottom pulley - that simply couldn't be good.

With COVID, lord knows when I would be able to send it for repair, let alone get it back.

Lance
Old 11-09-2021, 11:24 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCORTEX View Post
Went back to F/2 and 30 sec subs, the field is so wide, that good tracking isn't such an issue, but does limit a lot of targets.

It is under warranty, so I have no option but to demand an inspection and repair.

I took the cover off the RA, and regreased. What I did notice, is that one of the pulleys is misshaped, It dosn't seem to be properly machined, and the flanges are misshaped. This looks to force the belt to the right on the top, yet runs to the left on the bottom pulley - that simply couldn't be good.

With COVID, lord knows when I would be able to send it for repair, let alone get it back.

Lance
You did not mention the mount was still under warranty before, did you. In that case i withdraw my offer. Your resolution path should be to work through the designated Celestron Support people.

I believe the only Authorised Celestron Service Facility in Australia is Bintel, but perhaps now they send all warranty work to TASCO at Brookvale NSW. TASCO is the importer and exclusive agent. In the past, there was a national product manager for Celestron, and he was the one that made decisions about replacement of equipment. You may have to navigate the hierarchy of murky world of importer, agents, etc.

I would suggest you do not tamper with the mount.