Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 19-10-2015, 06:26 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

I don't have their mono but earlier this year I sent my A7s for it to be modded. I've got limited experience with astro DSLRs but I'm happy with the Astro A7s mod they did.

It cools down as per advertised - down to -18C -> -20C. If there's anything I do wish it could go a little cooler. Any other limitations, is with the Sony itself, not the mod CDS did.
Old 21-10-2015, 04:21 PM
glend (Glen)

I have today sent off my spare 450D sensor to CentralDS for debayering, as per my email discussions with Yun Lee over the past couple of weeks. The plan is to use the time while it's away at CentralDS to start the cold finger mod on it's chassis. Still thinking about whether I need to get CentralDS to put the MC clear glass in front of the sensor (it's an extra $150USD). I have asked Yun Lee about what benefits it brings. I'd appreciate any views here on that as well, given that I will be using screw on narrow band filters in the future, or my Baader IR/UV Cut for straight mono luminance. Other than a level of dust protection for the sensor surface I can't see what it brings if I am running front screw on filters.

So it won't be long till I have my 12 megapixel mono cold finger cooled DSLR to match it's colour companion.
Old 21-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
It cools down as per advertised - down to -18C -> -20C. If there's anything I do wish it could go a little cooler. Any other limitations, is with the Sony itself, not the mod CDS did.
A drop of -20C should be sufficient for warm summer evenings, possibly even here in QLD I'd be surprised if your darks from the A7S at 0-5C were anything other than clean, but it'd be interesting to learn otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Still thinking about whether I need to get CentralDS to put the MC clear glass in front of the sensor (it's an extra $150USD). I have asked Yun Lee about what benefits it brings. I'd appreciate any views here on that as well, given that I will be using screw on narrow band filters in the future, or my Baader IR/UV Cut for straight mono luminance. Other than a level of dust protection for the sensor surface I can't see what it brings if I am running front screw on filters.
If you're going to use it solely for astro, there's no advantage. With OSC DSLR retaining the filters, or at least that mimics the filters, is useful to retain autofocus capability with the camera. This is near useless IMO for a dedicated astro cam. Whether or not dust gets sucked in and lands on the sensor or the glass is largely irrelevant, you'll still want to clean it and/or take good flats.