Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2021, 05:03 PM
SeeMeade (Colin Meade)

AZ-EQ6GT Help

New to equatorial and this mount. I have lots of questions about this mount I acquired here on IIS. I have used it in AZ mode but struggling with EQ.

1. Polar Scope illumination. Turning the scope on is all the manual says to do to illuminate the polar scope, but it stays dark. I've hunted through the hand controller options to see if there is anything I should be doing there to activate illumination, but can't find anything relevant. Any ideas or is this a possible hardware issue and I need to go see a tech to maybe change a globe? I hope it's that simple!

2. Serial Number? I can't see one anywhere, just patent numbers on the side, so hard to estimate age? Mine does not have the USB port.

3. Play in the mount between the Azi adjustment knobs. I can't completely eliminate a couple of degrees of horizontal rotation, no matter how tight I lock every thing down? Is this an issue for accuracy? Have tried adjusting the dowel.

4. SynScan Software Update ] How do I know what version hand controller I have – website refers to V3, V4 & V5. Mine is running firmware version 4.37.03 but on Skywatcher website I can see up to 4.39.15 is available. Do I just need to download the latest or do I have to work through a series of upgrades? How to get the update to the controller as there's no wifi and I've tried connecting the controller direct to laptop or mount to laptop, but computer isn't "seeing" these devices. One guide I found shows connecting a power cable to the controller, but there is no such cable or port to receive it in the controller?

5. Driving the mount from a laptop with a SynScan USB Dongle? I bought a dongle from Testar but can't locate the driver for it based on Testar's instructions? Which Skywatcher link?

6. Home Position? It's not obvious what the home position is? I haven't done anything yet to set the dials?

7. Star Alignment Methods In AZ mode, Controller provides a list of perhaps 20 or so stars I need to choose from, and then I have to find them to align. Very different to Celestron Go To, where you just point the scope at any 3 unnamed stars and it works out what they are. Not helpful in my backyard with limited sky visible. Is there a way I can choose the stars to align outside of the narrow list offered? Or better yet, not have to know what they are?

8. Input Voltage Last night my power source was delivering 11.2V, right at the bottom range of what the mount will accept. I have seen info online that suggests 14V delivers better accuracy? Do I need to change power source?

That's more than enough for one post. All help appreciated.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:51 PM
Dave882 (David)

Hi Colin- I’ve not got any experience with the AZ-EQ6 specifically but there’s a few general things common across the mounts I could give a few tips- the other points maybe someone else can jump in:

3) make sure all bolts on the mount are tight as well as the adjustment bolts. I once had similar issue on an EQ mount that was fixed this way.
4) the version is the first number- ie 4. You need to download the SynScan updater and make sure you connect the hc to the mount (provides power) and have a serial / USB cable to connect to your pc. There’s some good step by step instructions on this online but I would recommend you only worry about doing an update if you’re experiencing problems.
6) home position is usually recognised as the position the mount is in when powered on unless set otherwise. So make sure you turn it on at the marker points.
7) get an app like “Starwalk 2” or another one that you can point at the sky and it’ll identify stars or you can search for something in particular. Soon you will get to know them by constellation or general position / colour / brightness in the sky.
8) 12v is fine but you will find that tracking/guiding performance drops as the voltage drops. Below the recommended voltage you could potentially be doing damage. You can purchase voltage converters that boost to 14v from electronics stores or fairly cheap on eBay. Not sure how critical this is though.

Hope some of this helps
Dave