Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 23-06-2021, 10:51 AM
Sayfog (Alistair)

> Curious- do people run NINA and other astro programs with Administrator rights? With SGP things seemed to work best with SGP, PHD2, Astroplanner all working with Admin rights.

I've never explicitly played with the admin settings for anything NINA related (besides on the installer/updater I think) - so after it starts up it should be fine?
Old 23-06-2021, 08:16 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Thanks Alistair - that's what I'm trying to do with this new Windows install and so far it seems to be panning out ok.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:29 PM
Gordy

I have just started playing around with NINA and can only agree it is a nifty piece of software at an excellent price I may add.

One unresolved problem for me is getting it to recognize my QHY268M camera. The stable version of NINA sees the camera as the OSC and also recognizes the QHY filter wheel. When I tried the Nightly version it correctly saw the camera as mono but failed to recognize the filter wheel. I downloading all the versions of QHY drivers etc to no avail. Since it is not a big deal I will stay with the 1.10 Stable version for now. Despite this, NINA is a clever piece of software.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:34 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

I don't know if that's an issue with NINA. I know my friends who got their QHY268M initially had dodginess with getting the right version of QHY driver installed too for it work.

I just saw another thread in CloudyNights about the QHY268M driver too:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...#entry11207002
Old 09-07-2021, 10:42 PM
Gordy

Thanks Sean. I will follow up the Cloudy Nights post.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:20 AM
toc (Tim)

NINA is my tool of choice, and I own both SGP and Voyager. Really have come to love it.

My only real gripe is the rather confusing method of changing the layout of various windows in the 'imaging' section. It's great that its so customisable, but I get lost in anchoring windows and getting things how I want them.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:46 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post
NINA is my tool of choice, and I own both SGP and Voyager. Really have come to love it.

My only real gripe is the rather confusing method of changing the layout of various windows in the 'imaging' section. It's great that its so customisable, but I get lost in anchoring windows and getting things how I want them.
Must admit with both NINA and SGP you sometimes wonder if you'll be able to get back to the previous layout when you start moving the window panels about.

Very pleased how all aspects of NINA have held up in the field. Had some hardware challenges to work around, but otherwise the framing, sequencing, focusing etc performed very well. Speed and reliability of plate solving is impressive, and integration with PHD2 dithering etc excellent. Once everthing is ready, bang - its off and exposing without any messing about.

The only area I've managed to trick myself up so far is in the basic sequencer set to run multiple targets. Managed to unknowlingly mess with slew/centre/autofocus/meridian flips settings between targets, and then later puzzled why it wasn't flipping, or focusing etc. Eventually realised it had done exactly what I'd told it to however

Still have SGP installed in the background. Nice they now only support and supply the most up to date V3 release. Haven't had to fall back to it yet however.

Last edited by RobF; 11-07-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:52 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post

100% agree with this. Thankfully there’s a reset layout button but still, it’s hard to understand how to move the windows around sometimes.

Here’s a video that also goes into how the layout works

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OEJUya9_LWA
Old 11-07-2021, 09:15 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

If you’re prepared to test the nightlies, there’s quite a few nice plugins released now - filter offset calculator, & drift polar alignment routine to name a few.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:28 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
If you’re prepared to test the nightlies, there’s quite a few nice plugins released now - filter offset calculator, & drift polar alignment routine to name a few.
Where can you read up on these please Sean? I read somewhere about the Sharpcap style PA routine that was coming and wondering how it would be implemented. Have zilch understanding of plugins currently - will have to do some research. Filter offset calculator sounds nice too.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:50 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Used my brain and called up the Plugins page in NINA. Guessing the pic below is the one?

Off to read up in Discord now - I see there is a section cunningly named "plugin-discussions"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2021-07-11 10_47_48-DellAstro17.jpg)
109.7 KB50 views
Old 14-07-2021, 07:44 PM
Sayfog (Alistair)

I can confirm TPAPA working from the southern hemisphere - Isbeorn made a few quick updates as I tested it the last few nights (if you scroll up in pplugin-discussions channel you'll see some very dodgy reported PA numbers, but its all been fixed now!).

Same with the ground station alert plugin, no longer do I have remote into my laptop just to see if a meridan flip or platesolve has worked, it will now tell me on my phone
Old 14-07-2021, 07:56 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Glad to hear the PA is now better than 10,000 degrees out too Alistair, for Southern hemisphere users
Old 22-07-2021, 05:24 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I am using NINA Nightly since the last few months after starting with APT.
It is a great software, easy to use.
First I had some issues with the layout as mentioned by @toc but it is very easy. Drag the window in the general area where you want it and a "Nintendo" style button appears. Left, up, right and down. That represents where it goes in that particular window.
The moment you get it, it is easy. Hard to explain when you not have it running.
Old 22-07-2021, 07:02 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Glad to hear Wilco

Had my first multinight outing of NINA 2 weeks ago. Really pleased how it behaved. Only real problems where separate hardware problems - which the probably of which increases the better the weather and darker the skies!

Shameless plug for first serious data/object, which I meant to mention earlier:
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=192514
Old 23-07-2021, 11:57 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

Downloaded the latest Nightly yesterday and the plugins for three points polar alignment.
Now to wait till the rain stops and the clouds go away to try it out.
It looks like Sharpcap is no longer needed.
Old 23-07-2021, 12:51 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsil View Post
Downloaded the latest Nightly yesterday and the plugins for three points polar alignment.
Now to wait till the rain stops and the clouds go away to try it out.
It looks like Sharpcap is no longer needed.
U should ask Master Oogway from our local group! He has already used it successfully a few times and step you through it if needed .
Old 23-07-2021, 07:33 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Would be interested to hear how the PA routine works out for other southern hemisphere users. Haven't tried it yet, but on their Discord people seem excited about it.
Old 26-07-2021, 11:00 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
U should ask Master Oogway from our local group! He has already used it successfully a few times and step you through it if needed .
I know :-)
Had a quick look, looks very simple and use 3 slews instead of 2 like Sharpcap.
No to wait on:
- clouds to go away
- shorter screws to attached my OAG to the CFW again after getting the flattener adapter made by B1.
Old 26-07-2021, 07:19 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

How fussy is it for FOV (Sharpcap essentially requires a focal length near 200mm F5 from memory)? Could you platesolve the main scope and camera?