Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 03-02-2021, 08:57 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

When it comes to power consumption, the average will be a result of the power profile set in the “bios”. Most modern machines are very configurable in this respect, and the NUCs are no exception. This controls the hardware response to heat, and the operating system energy controls interact with this.

For reference, a good guide is the TDP = Thermal Design Power, which is the heat generated during “normal” usage. Of course, it’s mostly a useless metric because not every use case is the same, and the processor manufacturers measure it differently, to try and one-up each other.

But if you see a measurement for TDP-down, that usually relates to the average energy expulsion using a miserly energy profile. Just be careful with the energy settings, because some energy profiles manage power supplied to USB ports, which in turn can affect the behaviour of connected accessories, such as cameras, etc.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:16 AM
Andrew B

Hi guys - just starting to dome setup for my Meade. I have a NUC question please.
I have a Pegasus ultimate v2 power hub and pegasus say I can fit the NUC and the power hub to the scope on a dovetail and the use Remote Desktop to connect via a dummy laptop. Can I guide and image at the same time via N.I.N.A and the take image on USB stick into house for processing at the end if the session. Can the NUC run both together with N.I.N.A controlling???
Many thx for collective wisdom
PS - any pearls on managing moisture for all the gear would be great too.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:35 PM
AdamJL

Hi Andrew

Yes that's how I do it. The NUC is on a dovetail clamp (it used to be on the Losmandy bar itself, but I took it off so I could use the NUC on other setups) and below the NUC is a Pegasus Powerbox Advance.

These all move with the scope and I control it all via NINA.
For the Pegasus, you can connect the device to your NUC via a USB 3 Type B cable. NINA will then connect to the Pegasus (just make sure you start the Pergausus software first in Windows, otherwise NINA won't run it).

Can't help you on the moisture for the dome, as I don't have one. I just use two PrimaLuceLab dew strips that are plugged into the Pegasus.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:43 PM
AdamJL

Here's an image of the setup. It's not technically a NUC, it's a Beelink mini PC (Modern NUCs really want 19V and I can only provide 12-13V)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220107_023609922_iOS.jpg)
187.2 KB26 views